Saad with the Chicago Blackhawks in December 2014
October 27, 1992 |
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team||Chicago Blackhawks|
|NHL Draft||2nd Round (43rd overall), 2011
Brandon Saad (born October 27, 1992) is an American professional ice hockey player for the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Saad was raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and attended Pine-Richland High School. He is American of Syrian descent. He was drafted in the second round, 43rd overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Saad currently wears #20 (previously #43) for the Chicago Blackhawks.
On October 4, 2011, the Chicago Blackhawks signed Brandon Saad to a 3-year, entry-level contract. It was announced that he would start the season with the Blackhawks, making him at 43rd overall the lowest draft pick to start with the Blackhawks in their draft year since the 2003-04 season. He made his NHL debut with the Blackhawks on October 7, 2011, versus the Dallas Stars. The Blackhawks reassigned him to his junior club on October 12, 2011. He was named Canadian Hockey League player of the week for the week of October 17 to October 23. Saad was named team captain of the Saginaw Spirit for the remainder of the 2011–12 OHL season following the trade of Ryan O'Connor to the Barrie Colts. Saad finished the 2011–12 OHL season with a league-best 1.73 points-per-game average. Saad was recalled to the Blackhawks on April 16, 2012, following the conclusion of his season in the OHL, and made his NHL playoff debut on April 19, 2012. Saad notched his first NHL point on April 21, 2012, with an assist on a goal in a playoff game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
On September 15, 2012, the Blackhawks assigned Saad to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League in anticipation of the 2012–13 NHL lockout. Saad was named CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period of January 7–13, 2013, for earning 6 points in 3 games, including 2 game-winning goals. The Blackhawks named Saad to the starting roster for the lockout-shortened 2012–13 season on January 17, 2013.
Saad scored his first career NHL goal on February 5, 2013, against Antti Niemi of the San Jose Sharks. On February 22, 2013, Saad scored a game-winning shorthanded goal against the Sharks to secure an NHL-record 17th straight game with at least one point to start a season for the 2012–13 Blackhawks, breaking the previous record of 16 straight games held by the 2006–07 Anaheim Ducks. On May 6, 2013, Saad was named as a finalist for the 2013 Calder Memorial Trophy.
Notable awards and honors
|Competitor for the United States|
|IIHF U18 Championships|
- NAHL – First All-Star Team (2008–09)
- NAHL – Rookie of the Year (2008–09)
- World U-17 Hockey Challenge – Tournament All-Star Team (2009)
- USDP – Most Goals/Most Points (2009–10)
- IIHF World U18 Championships – Gold Medal with Team USA (2010)
- OHL – First All-Star Team (2011–12)
- William Hanley Trophy – Most Sportsmanlike Player in the OHL (2011–12)
- AHL – CCM/AHL Player of the Week (Jan. 7–13, 2013)
- NHL – All-Rookie Team (2012–13)
- NHL – Calder Memorial Trophy finalist (2012–13)
- NHL – Stanley Cup champion (2013)
Regular season and playoffs
|2008–09||Mahoning Valley Phantoms||NAHL||47||29||18||47||48||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||U.S. National Development Team (U18)||USHL||24||12||14||26||18||—||—||—||—||—|
- Highly-touted Pittsburgh kid Brandon Saad discusses his NHL dream | Hockey Independent
- "Saad, Brandon - NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profiles". National Hockey League. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- Myers, Tracey. "Saad inks deal with Hawks, will start Friday". Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Rogers, Jesse. "Chicago Blackhawks sign Brandon Saad". ESPN Chicago. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Myers, Tracey. "Saad assigned to Saginaw". Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Generals’ Christian Thomas Named CHL Player of the Week". Ontario Hockey League. December 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- Austin, Kyle (17 January 2012). "Brandon Saad named Saginaw Spirit captain". The Saginaw News. Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- Austin, Kyle. "Chicago Blackhawks recall Saginaw Spirit forward Brandon Saad". MLive.com. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Blackhawks recall six". Chicago Blackhawks. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Chicago Blackhawks vs. Phoenix Coyotes - Boxscore - April 21, 2012". ESPN.com. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Blackhawks make roster moves". ESPN.com. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "IceHogs' Saad named Player of the Week". American Hockey League. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Kuc, Chris (17 January 2013). "Blackhawks' roster set for season opener". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Chicago Blackhawks vs. San Jose Sharks - Boxscore - February 5, 2013 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Blackhawks set NHL record for best start to season". ESPN.com/Associated Press. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Compton, Bryan. "Brendan Gallagher, Jonathan Huberdeau, Brandon Saad named Calder finalists - NHL Awards". National Hockey League. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- Phantoms' Saad named NAHL Rookie of the Year - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News
- U17's take bronze at World Challenge | North American Hockey League | NAHL
- Player Profile: Brandon Saad - Dan Sallows
- "OHL Announces 2011-12 All-Star Teams". Ontario Hockey League. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Saad OHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player". Ontario Hockey League. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Brandon Saad named CCM/AHL Player of the Week". AHL Press Release/Rockford IceHogs. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Calder finalists head NHL's All-Rookie team". National Hockey League. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brandon Saad.|