|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2010)|
|Created by||Alexis Ohanian|
breadpig was founded by Alexis Ohanian, a co-founder of the social news site reddit. Alexis and Steve Huffman, reddit's other co-founder, were searching for expired domains for their yet unnamed website that had the word "read" in them. A search returned "breadpig.com" and the pair bought it purely out of comic value. Steve imaged the "breadpig" as a "pig with bread wings" and Alexis doodled the first version.
breadpig calls itself an "uncorporation," which means "in practice" it gives a lot of its profits away to charity. "Rather than following the typical corporate directive of maximizing shareholder wealth, breadpig aims to do interesting (good) things with its profits."
In 2008, breadpig raised over $30,000 from creating and selling LOLmagnetz - magnetic poetry for lolspeak. In February 2009, breadpig donated $15,000 to the San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and in October 2009, raised $32,000 for Room to Read to construct a primary school in Laos. breadpig went on to raise $52,700, via the sale of xkcd: volume 0. This money was used for the development of a school room, a reading room, and a local language publishing room, also via Room to Read. As of December 2010, breadpig has raised over $150,000 for charity (this includes both funds raised, and profits donated).
- Noam Cohen (April 20, 2009). "When Pixels Find New Life on Real Paper". The New York Times.
- "breadpig: the legend".
- Randall Munroe (September 10, 2009). "There’s an xkcd book!.".
- Noam Cohen (April 19, 2009). "When Pixels Find New Life on Real Paper .". The New York Times.
- "breadpig - WTF".
- Alexis Ohanian (Feb 3, 2009). "How breadpig made $30,000 (for charity) in 2008 selling magnets with LOLspeak in our spare time.".
- Alexis Ohanian (Feb 3, 2009). "Breadpig Hands SF/SPCA $15,000 Check From LOLmagnetz, Plays With Puppy.".
- Alexis Ohanian (Oct 2, 2009). "We did it! You raised enough money to build our xkcd school in Laos".
- Alexis Ohanian (May 10, 2010). "How Should We Donate $53,000 of xkcd Book Profits?".
- Alexis Ohanian (Dec 26, 2010). "Breadpig Inc, Donations (link to Google Spreadsheet).".
- Michael Arrington (Dec 26, 2010). "Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian To Join Y Combinator.".
|This corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|