|This article relies on references to primary sources. (March 2010)|
|Created by||Alexis Ohanian|
Breadpig calls itself an "uncorporation," which means in practice they give a lot of their profits away to charity. As explained by them: "[rather than following the typical corporate directive of maximizing shareholder wealth, breadpig aims to do interesting (good) things with its profits." For example, the proceeds fundraised from the xkcd book tour went to build a school in Laos. At the end of 2009, Breadpig donated its publisher profits from the book ($53,000) to Room to Read for construction of more schools and libraries in 2010 - locations to be determined by the Breadpig community.
Breadpig was founded by Alexis Ohanian, a co-founder of the social news site reddit. Alexis and Steve Huffman, the other reddit co-founder, were searching for expired domains for their yet unnamed website that had the word "read" in them. A search returned "breadpig.com" and the pair bought it purely out of comic value. Steve imaged the "breadpig" as a "pig with bread wings" and Alexis doodled the first version.
In February 2009, Breadpig donated $15,000 to the San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
In October 2009, Breadpig raised $32,000 for Room to Read to construct a primary school in Laos. Breadpig went on to raise $52,961.78, via the sale of xkcd: volume 0 - this money was used for the development of a school room, a reading room, and a local language publishing room, also via Room to Read.
- Noam Cohen (April 20, 2009). "When Pixels Find New Life on Real Paper". The New York Times.
- "breadpig - WTF".
- "The xkcd school in Laos is complete! Rejoice!". March 15, 2010.
- Alexis Ohanian (February 17, 2010). "Reasons to self-publish, or start your own niche publishing company (or not)".
- "breadpig: the legend".
- Alexis Ohanian (Feb 03, 2009). "How breadpig made $30,000 (for charity) in 2008 selling magnets with LOLspeak in our spare time.".
- Alexis Ohanian (Feb 03, 2009). "Breadpig Hands SF/SPCA $15,000 Check From LOLmagnetz, Plays With Puppy.".
- Alexis Ohanian (Oct 02, 2009). "We did it! You raised enough money to build our xkcd school in Laos".
- Alexis Ohanian (May 10, 2010). "How Should We Donate $53,000 of xkcd Book Profits?".
- Alexis Ohanian (Dec 26, 2010). "Breadpig Inc, Donations (link to Google Spreadsheet).".
- Michael Arrington (Dec 26, 2010). "Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian To Join Y Combinator.".
- Randall Munroe (September 10, 2009). "There’s an xkcd book!.".
- Noam Cohen (April 19, 2009). "When Pixels Find New Life on Real Paper .". The New York Times.
|This corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|