|Also known as||Breaking Amish: Los Angeles|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||25|
|Running time||42 to 44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hot Snakes Media|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||September 9, 2012– present|
|Related shows||Return to Amish|
Breaking Amish is an American reality television series on the TLC television network that debuted September 9, 2012. The series revolves around five young Anabaptist adults (four Amish and one Mennonite) who move to New York City in order to experience a different life and decide whether to return to their communities or remain outside their communities and face potential ostracism by their family and friends. It follows the cast members as they experience life in New York and face new situations involving work, friendship, romance, and lifestyle, plus the drama that develops between cast members as they undergo various experiences.
The cast-members' move to New York City differs from Rumspringa, the rite of passage in which some 16-year-old Amish are allowed to experience the outside world and to decide whether or not they wish to remain with their home communities.
A news report on February 25, 2013, stated that TLC had ordered a second season of Breaking Amish. In a subsequent news report on April 3, 2013, TLC stated that it was not a second season but a spin-off entitled Breaking Amish: Brave New World. The spin-off debuted on May 12, 2013, and starred the original cast members starting their lives in Sarasota, Florida, home to a large Amish and ex-Amish community.
The actual second season of Breaking Amish, entitled Breaking Amish: Los Angeles, debuted on July 21, 2013, with a different cast.
On May 1, 2014, it was announced that Breaking Amish had spawned yet another spin-off, entitled Return to Amish. The spinoff followed Breaking Amish season 1 cast members who all lived in Pennsylvania at the time of production, except for Kate, who resided in New York City. The two-hour premiere debuted on June 1, 2014, with the season airing seven episodes.
The third season of Breaking Amish debuted on September 18, 2014, with a new cast.
Shortly after airing the first episode it was reported by several news outlets that all of the cast had left their respective communities prior to taping the show, or that they were already married. It also has been reported that the relationships between cast members were portrayed falsely and that there were many inconsistencies between fact and the reality that was represented in the television program. The production has been forthcoming with some of the 'non-Amish' activities in the background of the cast. As episodes progressed, the production steadily revealed other aspects of the cast's past activities, including items not previously released as spoilers by other media outlets.
Some of the information shared on air by the cast during the production:
- In episode 1 it is shown that Kate had spent time in Florida, driving and getting a DUI.
- In the extended version of episode 3 Jeremiah states that he was kicked out of the Amish three different times, dressing 'English' each time. ('English' was typically used in the series to mean "non-Anabaptist.")
- In episode 6 Jeremiah states, when Abe talks about marrying Rebecca, that he was once married.
- In episode 7 Abe and Rebecca discuss how they used to sneak off – with her boyfriend and with others – to dress 'English' and go bowling.
- In episode 7 Rebecca discusses how Abe once moved to Kentucky and she to North Dakota, renewing their friendship when they returned to their Amish community.
- In episode 8 Sabrina discusses the fact that she had been married, in 2009, to a Mennonite man – and that marrying a best friend does not always work out.
- In episode 10 Rebecca states that she had been married directly after her 18th birthday in 2009 and divorced in July 2012. She also mentions that she has a daughter.
- In episode 12 the group discuss the fact that many Amish teenagers will sneak out and dress 'English', and so it is no surprise to find pictures of them, or many other teenage Amish, during excursions outside of the community.
|Abe Schmucker||22||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Jeremiah Raber||32||Amish||Adopted by an Amish family, grew up in Holmes County, Ohio.|
|Kate Stoltzfus||21||Amish||Daughter of a bishop, grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, previously spent some time in Florida.|
|Rebecca Byler||20||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.|
|Sabrina High||26||Mennonite||Adopted by a Mennonite family, born to Puerto Rican and Italian parents.|
|Iva Troyer||19||Amish||Originally from Ohio, but grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Dated Jeremiah from season one, despite one scene supposedly being staged.|
|Betsy Yoder||21||Amish||Adopted by an Amish family and lives in Holmes County, Ohio. She is married to Allen Yoder.|
|Devon Miller||21||Amish||Lives at home with his parents in Shipshewana, Indiana.|
|Lizzie Stoltzfus||21||Amish||Grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and is secretly pregnant with her first child.|
|Sam Stoltzfus||26||Amish||Grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and is Lizzie's brother.|
|Matt Bristol||24||Mennonite||From East Earl, Pennsylvania. His family joined the Mennonite community when he was seven years old.|
|Andrew Schmucker||26||Amish||From Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. Confirmed on Breaking Amish: Brave New World - The Shunning Truth: Part 2 episode. He is the brother of Abe from season one. He tremendously enjoys strippers while he himself is shirtless. He is also an ex-con. Was recently re-sentenced and presently in jail with regard to drug use.|
^Note 1 : Age at the time of filming.
^Note 1 : Age at the time of filming.
|Season||Episodes||Season Premiere||Season Finale|
|1||12||September 9, 2012||November 18, 2012|
|2||12||July 21, 2013||September 29, 2013|
|3||10||September 18, 2014||November 27, 2014|
Season 1 (2012)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||1||"Jumping the Fence"||September 9, 2012||3.09|
|The premiere of a reality series following five men and women from Amish and Mennonite communities as they seek the possibility of leaving their old lives behind for new ones in New York City, though they also run the risk of saying good-bye to their family and friends forever.|
|2||2||"What Have We Gotten Ourselves Into?"||September 16, 2012||2.88|
|The Amish find themselves in chaotic and vibrant New York City. Romance may be in the offing as the newcomers adjust to life in New York City, but their fresh start also comes with an air of tension.|
|3||3||"Breaking All the Rules"||September 23, 2012||2.78|
|The cast breaks Amish & Mennonite rules by buying "English" clothes and getting tattoos. The cast grows more comfortable in the city when they get wardrobe makeovers and tattoos, and Kate and Rebecca mull modeling careers, but surprise visits by Abe's and Rebecca's families could put an end to this experiment. Also, Jeremiah has his first driving lesson.|
|4||4||"New Beginnings"||September 30, 2012||3.00|
|Rebecca confronts a difficult episode from her past. Kate succumbs to the pressure of being shunned by her family. Sabrina tries to find out more about her ethnic background. Jeremiah continues his driving lessons with a different instructor.|
|5||5||"What Is Really Happening?"||October 7, 2012||2.43|
|The cast discusses the pros and cons of the Amish life. Abe accompanies Jeremiah to a strip club. Rebecca uncovers Kate's Florida DUI arrest record which Kate must confront. Sabrina continues to look towards exploring her ethnic background.|
|6||6||"Good vs. Evil"||October 14, 2012||3.21|
|Kate wears a bikini for her first photo shoot. Abe wants to take his relationship with Rebecca a step further. Sabrina, along with Kate, Abe and Rebecca visit the Museum of Sex.|
|7||7||"Final Days"||October 21, 2012||3.38|
|Kate finds she is ousted from the others. Sabrina learns the whereabouts of her biological father, though she and Jeremiah keep a secret from the rest. Rebecca reveals a part of her past that she is not really in the mood to discuss. The cast makes a tough decision while packing their bags.|
|8||8||"Decision Time"||October 28, 2012||3.87|
|The men and women go home to decide whether they will return to their communities or leave them behind for a new life, which may mean saying good-bye to their families and friends forever.|
|9||9||"Party Time"||November 4, 2012||3.33|
|Sabrina uncovers her late birth mother's letters. Kate begins to accept the reality of her situation. Abe and Rebecca plan their eventual wedding. Jeremiah and Sabrina plan bachelor and bachelorette parties respectively for the engaged.|
|10||10||"Finale"||November 11, 2012||3.80|
|Cast members' tempers flare following pre-wedding parties. Abe and Rebecca get frustrated on wedding plans. Jeremiah is curious of how Sabrina feels about their relationship.|
|11||11||"The Shunning Truth — Part 1"||November 11, 2012||3.88|
|Michelle Beadle hosts as the cast reunites to discuss their first time in NYC, and even relates to relationships with their families and friends, their possible brushes with the law and the authenticity of their Amish or Mennonite lives.|
|12||12||"The Shunning Truth — Part 2"||November 18, 2012||3.06|
|Michelle Beadle hosts as the cast continues to speak about their lives, their cultural origins and the rumors and allegations that need to be addressed.|
Season 2 (2013)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|13||1||"Family Secrets"||July 21, 2013||1.94|
|Iva, Matt, Lizzie, Betsy and Devon risk losing everything when they venture outside of their Amish and Mennonite lifestyles.|
|14||2||"Exodus"||July 28, 2013||1.77|
|The cast members arrive with temptation looming around every corner. Lizzie can't keep her secret hidden much longer.|
|15||3||"Black Sheep"||August 4, 2013||1.81|
|An unexpected visitor enters the house demanding to see Lizzie and another latecomer joins the group.|
|16||4||"Metamorphosis"||August 11, 2013||2.03|
|Trading traditional Amish clothes for a modern English makeover. Betsy's behavior grows more suspicious.|
|17||5||"Exile"||August 18, 2013||1.66|
|Betsy is confronted after a revelation. Iva asks for Sam's help. The group takes an impromptu trip to Las Vegas.|
|18||6||"Sin City"||August 25, 2013||1.85|
|The group travels to Las Vegas. Matt is wary of temptation. Betsy plans to expose the truth.|
|19||7||"Judgement Day"||September 1, 2013||1.43|
|Tensions rise within the group. Matt starts an internship with a fashion designer. Devon's actions ruin Lizzie's surprise baby shower.|
|20||8||"Into the Fire"||September 8, 2013||1.52|
|Matt preaches forgiveness to a skeptical crowd. Betsy learns news that prompts a trip to Mexico. Matt delivers his first presentation in fashion.|
|21||9||"Paradise Lost"||September 15, 2013||1.82|
|The group travels home from LA. Matt's reception from his parents is more dramatic than ever anticipated. Andrew goes home to mother Mary. The father of Lizzie's baby is revealed when she goes into labor.|
|22||10||"Cast Off"||September 22, 2013||1.84|
|Sam confronts the father of his sister's newborn baby. Lizzie has a big decision to make. Andrew's past comes back. Matt reveals big news.|
|23||11||"Redemption"||September 29, 2013||1.51|
|Sam confesses about what happened with Betsy. Matt's warrant for arrest. The group meets Lizzie's baby.|
|24||12||"The Shunning Truth"||September 29, 2013||1.57|
Season 3 (2014)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|25||1||"Road Not Taken"||September 18, 2014|
|26||2||"On the Run"||September 25, 2014|
|27||3||"Bright Lights Big Sinners"||October 2, 2014|
|28||4||"House Divided"||October 9, 2014|
|29||5||"Forgive and Forget"||October 16, 2014|
|30||6||"Out With the Old"||October 23, 2014|
|31||7||"Make Things Right"||October 30, 2014|
|32||8||"What Tomorrow May Bring"||November 6, 2014|
|The Family is brought together by Miriam's return to New York, but not for long; Bates focuses on his acting career but misses his mother support.|
|33||9||"Seizing The Moment"||November 13, 2014|
|34||10||"Light at the End of the Day"||November 20, 2014|
- "TLC Takes Amish Out of the Country and Into the City in New Groundbreaking Series" (Press release). TLC via The Futon Critic. August 2, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Waxman, Olivia B. (September 9, 2012). "Breaking Amish: One Ex-Follower’s True Story of Moving to the Big Apple". Time. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Furlong, Maggie (August 30, 2012). "'Breaking Amish' On TLC: Meet The Cast Of This Controversial New Show". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "TLC Orders a Second Season of Hit Series "Breaking Amish"" (Press release). TLC via The Futon Critic. February 25, 2013.
- ""Breaking Amish" Becomes Bigger Than Ever — TLC Confirms Spin-Off Series and Casts New Group for Second Season" (Press release). TLC via The Futon Critic. April 3, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2013). "'Breaking Amish' Renewed for Season 2 ; Spin-Off 'Breaking Amish: Brave New World' to Premiere Sunday, May 12 on TLC". TV by the Numbers.
- "VIDEO: First Look: New TLC Spinoff Series RETURN TO AMISH, Premiering 6/1". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "New TLC Spinoff Series "Return to Amish" Premieres on Sunday, June 1". The Futon Critic. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Warren, Lydia (September 21, 2012). "Is Breaking Amish for real? Just two episodes in and already viewers are asking whether it's really all that authentic". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Warren, Lydia (November 13, 2012). "More 'Breaking Amish' bombshells as cast member confirms she is a divorced mother and another pair reveal they had sex while drunk". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- Hughes, Jason (October 22, 2012). "'Breaking Amish': Rebecca Admits She's Been Divorced After Abe Proposes". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (September 24, 2012). "Is 'Breaking Amish' Fake? TLC Addresses Rumors That Reality Show Is Staged". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Marechal, AJ (September 20, 2012). "TLC on defensive over ‘Breaking Amish’". Variety. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Corneau, Allison (November 19, 2012). "Breaking Amish: 5 Shocking Show Myths Debunked!". Us Weekly. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Nicole Lyn Pesce (September 7, 2012). "Cast of TLC's 'Breaking Amish' sits down with the Daily News to talk about their experience". New York Daily News.
- Minor, Eric (November 19, 2012). "Local ‘Breaking Amish’ star’s ex-wife, former roommate claim series not ‘reality TV’". WTOV-TV. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Faris, Paula; Singh, Natasha (July 8, 2013). "‘Breaking Amish’ Star Kate Stoltzfus Shows Skin in Maxim Magazine". ABC News. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Kathy Ehrich Dowd (June 14, 2013). "Breaking Amish: New Cast to Face Modern Life in Los Angeles". People (magazine). Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Matt Bristol of 'Breaking Amish: Los Angeles' stirs up drama". Los Angeles Times (Press release). August 2, 2013.
- "TLC Adds New Cast Member to "Breaking Amish: LA"". The Futon Critic (Press release). July 17, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 11, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Wins Night + 'Real Housewives of New Jersey', 'NFL Countdown', 'Long Island Medium', 'Breaking Amish' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 18, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' Wins Night, 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Real Housewives of New Jersey', 'Breaking Amish', 'Leverage', 'Hell on Wheels' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 25, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Wins Night + 'NFL Countdown', 'Breaking Amish', 'Long Island Medium', 'Boardwalk Empire' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 2, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Wins Night, 'Dexter', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Homeland', 'Breaking Amish', 'Long Island Medium' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 9, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Steel Magnolias' Wins Night + 'Jeff Dunham: Minding Monsters', 'The Real Housewived of NJ', MLB, NASCAR & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 16, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'The Walking Dead' Dominates Night, Space Jump, 'Dexter', 'Boardwalk Empire','Homeland,' 'Breaking Amish', & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 23, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'Walking Dead' Kills it Again, + 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Long Island Medium', 'NFL Countdown', & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 30, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Wins Night, 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Homeland','Long Island Medium', 'Boardwalk Empire' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Easily Wins Night, + 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'Breaking Amish', 'Talking Dead', 'Long Island Medium' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (November 13, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Wins Night, 'Breaking Amish', 'Dexter', 'Homeland', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 20, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Wins Night + 'Breaking Amish', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'Dexter', 'Sofia the First' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Naked and Afraid', 'Falling Skies', 'Dexter', 'Devious Maids', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Naked and Afraid', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', NASCAR, 'Dexter' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (August 6, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'True Blood' & 'Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives' Win Night, 'Dexter', 'Devious Maids', 'The Killing', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (August 13, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night, 'True Blood', 'Low Winter Sun', 'Devious Maids', 'Dexter', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 20, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night + 'True Blood', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', NASCAR, 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 27, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'MTV Video Music Awards' Dominates + 'Breaking Bad', 'Real Housewives of NJ', 'Catfish', 'Dexter' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 4, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night, NASCAR, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Total Divas', 'Sister Wives' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 10, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night + 'NFL Countdown' 'Dexter', 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 17, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night, 'Real Housewives', 'Dexter, 'Devious Maids', 'Boardwalk Empire', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 24, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night + 'Dexter' Series Finale, 'Devious Maids', 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 1, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'Breaking Bad' Wins Big, 'Talking Bad', 'Homeland', 'Boardwalk Empire','Masters of Sex' & More". TV by the Numbers.