Broadneck High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
|Broadneck High School|
Responsibility, Rigor, Respect
|1265 Green Holly Drive
Annapolis, MD, 21409
|School district||Anne Arundel County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Grey|
|Rival||Severna Park High School Falcons|
Broadneck High School is a school in the United States, located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland on Green Holly Drive, on the border between Arnold and Cape St. Claire, suburbs of Annapolis. The Bruin is the school's mascot. Broadneck is part of the Anne Arundel County Public Schools system and known for the breadth of its Advanced Placement program, among its higher level courses such as Linear Algebra. It has been the test school for courses such as Calculus III and offers options to take classes at the nearby Anne Arundel Community College and CAT-South schools. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the nearby Severna Park High School Falcons. The current BHS feeder middle schools are Severn River Middle School and Magothy River Middle School. Broadneck has a good reputation throughout Maryland and Anne Arundel County. In 2013, Newsweek ranked Broadneck as one of the top 20 high schools in Maryland, and top 1,000 in the country. Broadneck also received the highest rank by Newsweek out of all the Anne Arundel County Public High Schools in 2013. 
- 1 Academics
- 2 Athletics
- 2.1 Fall Sports
- 2.2 Winter Sports
- 2.3 Spring Sports
- 2.4 Unsanctioned
- 3 Music
- 4 Clubs
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Newsweek annually rates American high schools based on the ratio of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students in the school to the number of graduating seniors that year. In 2008, Broadneck was ranked 216th, and in 2005-2007, 184th, 197th, and 338th, respectively.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
Broadneck High School's athletics teams are the Bruins and Lady Bruins and their colors are maroon and grey. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the Severna Park High School "Falcons" and the Annapolis Senior High School "Panthers". The school has won numerous state and local championships.
- The Bruins have won the Maryland 4A State Championship six times in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, and in 2009
- Have also won many county championships including the 2013 county championship.
Head Coach, Rob Harris, lead the Bruins to an 8-3 season in 2013. The team lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Meade Mustangs.
- The Bruins won states in 2001.
- The Lady Bruins won the Maryland State Championships during the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 school year.
- The boys won the Maryland State Championships during the 1984-1985, 2004–2005 and 2005-2006 school years.
- 2005 State Champion
- The Bruins won the Maryland State Championships during the 1987-1988 school year.
- Men's Swimming were State Champions in 2008 and 2009.
- No longer exists in Anne Arundel County
- The Bruins won the Maryland 4A State Championship in 1987 and in the back-to-back years of 1992-1993, and 1996-1997. The Lady Bruins won the State title in 2002 and 2003 and 2013.
- 1983 State Champion
- 1995 State Champion
- 2009 Won their first ever State championship
- 2010 Won their second states title
The Broadneck Sailing Team competes locally in the Central League of the Middle Atlantic Scholastic Sailing Association (MASSA) and nationally under the authority of the Interscholastic Sailing Association (ISSA).
Performance groups include Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band and Big Band, a Percussion Ensemble, the String Orchestra, a full Mixed chorus, Male chorus, Women's chorus and an audition-only Vocal Ensemble. Other classes include differing levels of Piano and Guitar, Music History, Electronic Music, and Honors & AP Music Theory.
The marching band is known as the "Marching Bruins". They currently compete in USSBA (United States Scholastic Band Association) and have since 2008. They still attend a few TOB (Tournament of Bands) shows per season. The band is made up of roughly 100 members.
Broadneck is home to many clubs that offers students with all different types of interests a possibility to meet others that share their same interests.
At last count, the 29 clubs at Broadneck High School include:
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- National Honors Society 
- Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Foreign Language Experience (FLEX) Program
- Muggle Quidditch is used as a once-a-year springtime fundraiser for causes of the day. In the 2009-2010 school year, proceeds went to Haiti relief efforts, in 2010-2011 they went to Japan.
- Brooks Barnard - Former NFL punter. Played with the Chicago Bears and New England Patriots. Also played for the University of Maryland Terrapins.
- Christian Siriano - Fashion Designer and winner of the fourth season of Project Runway - attended freshman year only
- Matthew Centrowitz, Jr. - 1500 meter 2011 NCAA men's champion, 2011 1500 meter men's USA national champion, 2011 bronze medalist in World Championship in South Korea. Centrowitz ran for the Oregon ducks, but has recently announced his decision to go pro and is now sponsored by Nike. He ran for United States in the 2012 Olympics in London, placing 4th overall in the men's 1500m race.
- Farrah Hall - competed in sailing at 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
- Website maintained by the school
- AACPS webpage for Broadneck High
- Website maintained by the Bruin Music Department
- Website maintained by the Newspaper Staff
- BHS Real Estate Information - Yahoo[dead link]
- [dead link]
- America's Top Public High Schools 2008 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Anne Arundel
- Anime Club Old Page Redirect
- Best Buddies Club
- Class Officers
- Creative Writing is almost as co
- Drama Club
- Future Educators of America
- Fishing Club
- Foreign Language Club
- Habitat for Humanity Club
- Heritage Club
- [dead link]
- Interact Club
- It's Academic
- Broadneck Japanese Foreign Exchange Club
- Key Club
- Mock Trial
- Ophelia Club
- Outdoor Science Club
- Stage Crew
- Step Squad
- Video Club
- Broadneck WebMasters
- Broadneck NHS
- Broadneck Teens Take Flight For a Cause - Broadneck Patch
- "Brooks Bernard". University of Maryland. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "The Quick Six: Christian Siriano". What's Up Annapolis.[dead link]
- "Men's 1500m".
- "Farrah Hall".[dead link]
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List of the 1,000 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List: 1,200 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Matthews, Jay. FAQ: Top High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Anne Arundel: Advanced Programs Available in High School. 10 March 2007 .
- Hudson, Lucinda. Principal's Corner. What's Bruin. Issue 7 (2007): 2. .
- Hayes, Kathy E. February 12, 2007 Results. 10 March 2007 .