Severna Park High School
|Severna Park high School|
|Location||60 Robinson Rd,
Severna Park, Maryland, United States
|District||Anne Arundel County Public Schools|
|Colors||Blue and Gold
|Rival||Broadneck High School Bruins|
Severna Park High School is a public high school located in Severna Park, Maryland. It is a part of the Anne Arundel County Public Schools system. Its feeder school is Severna Park Middle School. SPHS opened its doors to students in 1959 and its current principal is Mr. Patrick Bathras, who has been at the school since 2008.
Severna Park High has gained a strong reputation in Anne Arundel County for its consistent success in academics and athletics. Severna Park High School students consistently score highly in the High School Assessment (HSA). On a national level, the school was named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2011 and hosted nine National Merit Scholarship finalists in 2006. The Falcons are sport rivals with nearby Broadneck High School and have excelled at the state level in lacrosse (both the boys and girls lacrosse teams were state champions in 2007), field hockey, swimming and cross-country. The school's mock trial team won the state championship in 2006, 2008 and 2010, and was undefeated in the county until 2009.
The school has also gained a strong reputation for theater and music. Rock'n Roll Revival is an annual stage show presented in March. The production consists of students (and some staff) performing classic rock and other popular songs at least 20 years old. The show has a band, singers, dancers, and a tech crew that are almost entirely composed of SPHS students. It has been in production since 1989 and regularly sells out its eight performances.
The school's DECA chapter qualifies for competition on the international level every year, and won first place at the 2012 state competition.
The mock trial team has been a powerhouse in the county for many years and did not lose in county competition until 2009. In their 2010 run to the State Championship, the mock trial team went undefeated. The team is trying to make it again to the 2014 Mock Trial State championship.
- 2006, 2008, 2010 Maryland State Champions
Georgetown History Bowl
The history department at Severna Park has competed in the Georgetown History Bowl since its inception in 2004. The team has been consistently good and usually places within the top three.
- 2005, 2010, 2011 Team Second Place
- 2009 Team Co-Champions (tied with Calvert Hall College High School)
- 2008 Team Champions
The Severna Park High School Falcons are consistently highly competitive in athletics, resulting in many state titles in various sports, the most successful being their field hockey team
- Boys Soccer: 4 state championships
- Field Hockey: 21 state championships
- Girls Lacrosse: 12 State championships
- Boys Lacrosse: 11 State championships
- Swimming: 5 State championships
- Wrestling: 5 State champions
- Girls Cross Country: 3 State championships
- Volleyball: 3 State championships
- Boys Cross Country: 3 State championship
- Ice Hockey: 1 State championship
- Baseball: 3 State championships
- Tennis: Undefeated in county play since 2006.
Special Olympic Teams
Severna Park has three teams for special education students and other students to act as helpers. In the fall they have unified tennis, in winter they have unified bowling, and in the spring they have unified bocce. These teams consistently do well in their competitions.
- Josh Banks, Baltimore Orioles pitcher
- Brandie Posey, stand up comedian, co-host of Lady to Lady Podcast on Maximumfun.org, has taken a spin class with Jeremy Piven
- Steve Bisciotti, owner of the Baltimore Ravens
- Mark Budzinski, former professional baseball player (Cincinnati Reds)
- James W. Campbell, former member of the Maryland House of Delegates
- Ronald Malfi, horror novelist
- Billy Martin, guitarist and keyboardist for Good Charlotte
- Lance Corporal Eric W. Herzberg, assigned to 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, died October 21, 2006, while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq.
- William 'Taylor' Wild was killed at a failed Marines training exercise in Nevada on March 18, 2013.
Severna Park High School in the news
- In September 2011, Severna Park High School was named a National Blue Ribbon School by U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.
- In December 2010, Severna Park High School was named a Maryland Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by State Superintendent of Schools Nancy Grasmick.
- In 2003, Severna Park High School received the Maryland Center for Character Education School of the Year Award for all of their outstanding efforts in helping students to develop their full potential as adults and citizens.
- U.S. Department of Defense, News Release No. 1073-06, 24 October 2006.
- Severna Park High School
- AACPS webpage for Severna Park High School
- Severna Park High School Band and Orchestra