||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
C. Stephen Evans (b. Atlanta , Georgia) is an American historian and philosopher, he is one of the United States' leading experts on Søren Kierkegaard having published six books on Kierkegaard over 25 years. He is currently University Professor of Philosophy and Humanities at Baylor University. He holds a B.A. with High Honors (philosophy), from Wheaton College, an M.Phil. (philosophy) from Yale University, and a Ph.D. (philosophy) from Yale University.
He has won numerous awards, and reviews manuscripts for several university presses, including Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Princeton University Press, as well as Harper and Rowe. He does the same for several academic journals. He was curator of the Howard V. and Edna H. Hong Kierkegaard Library. He has organized several major conferences. He served five years on the editorial board for Kierkegaard Monographs and for the International Kierkegaard Commentary Series. He is a past president of the Society of Christian Philosophers and the Søren Kierkegaard Society.
- Preserving the Person: A Look at the Human Sciences (InterVarsity Press, 1977; Baker Reprint, 1982)
- Subjectivity and Religious Belief: An Historical, Critical Study (Eerdmans, 1978)
- Kierkegaard's Fragments and Postscript: The Religious Philosophy of Johannes Climacus (Humanities Press, 1983; reprinted by Humanity Books, an imprint of Prometheus Books, 1999)
- Existentialism: The Philosophy of Despair and the Quest for Hope (Zondervan, 1984; reprinted Probe Books, 1989). A revised edition of Despair: A Moment or a Way of Life? (InterVarsity Press, 1971)
- Philosophy of Religion: Thinking About Faith (InterVarsity Press, 1985). Spanish translation: Filosofía de la Religion (Editorial Mundo Hispano, 1990). Macedonian translation 2004.
- Wisdom and Humanness in Psychology (Baker Books, 1989)
- Søren Kierkegaard's Christian Psychology (Zondervan, 1990)
- Passionate Reason: Making Sense of Kierkegaard's Philosophical Fragments (Indiana University Press, 1992)
- Why Believe? Reason and Mystery as Pointers to God (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1996). A revised version of The Quest for Faith: Reason and Mystery As Pointers to God (InterVarsity Press, 1986). Chinese edition of Why Believe? translated by Daniel Kwok-Tung Cheung (Hong Kong: FES Press, 2002).
- The Historical Christ and the Jesus of Faith: The Incarnational Narrative as History (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996)
- Faith Beyond Reason (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1998; and Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1998)
- Pocket Dictionary of Philosophy of Religion and Apologetics (Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2002). Translated and published in Portuguese by Editora Vida, 2003. Translated and published in Macedonian, 2003. Spanish translation published by Editorial Unilit in 2007.
- Kierkegaard’s Ethic of Love: Divine Commands and Moral Requirements (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004)
- Kierkegaard on Faith and the Self: Collected Essays (Waco, Texas: Baylor University Press, 2006)
- Kierkegaard: An Introduction (Cambridge University Press, 2009)
- Natural Signs and Knowledge of God: A New Look at Theistic Arguments (Oxford University Press, 2010)
- ^ Dr. C. Stephen Evans's personal page at Baylor University
- ^ Dr. C. Stephen Evans's 32 page CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- ^ Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion: C. Stephen Evans