CFL on CTV
|CFL on CTV|
|Starring||The CFL on CTV game commentators|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Running time||360 minutes+|
|Original channel||CTV (1962-1986)|
CFL on CTV was a presentation of Canadian Football League football aired on the CTV Television Network from 1962 to 1986. CTV dropped coverage of the CFL after the 1986 season. CTV's coverage was replaced by TSN and the newly created Canadian Football Network.
In February 1961, John Bassett, Chairman of CFTO-TV, outbid the CBC for the Eastern Conference regular season and playoff television rights, and a first refusal for the Grey Cup, with an offer of $375,000 a season for two years.
Affiliation agreements 
Meanwhile, Spence Caldwell, was trying to persuade new private stations to sign affiliation agreements with him so that he could form a network. Bassett initially refused, but when several stations had given Caldwell signed letters of intent to become affiliates and Bassett failed to get a temporary network licence from the Board of Broadcast Governors, he agreed to join the new network. Caldwell went to the BBG and was granted his network licence, which gave Bassett access to a network on which to broadcast his CFL games.
Grey Cup coverage 
From 1962 until 1986, CBC and CTV similcast the Grey Cup. In 1962, 1965, 1967, 1968 and 1970, CTV commentators were used for the dual network telecast. In 1963, 1964, 1966 and 1969 CBC announcers were provided. From 1971 until 1986, the two networks fully pooled their commentary teams for the game.
After the 1986 season, CTV dropped its coverage of the CFL and the Grey Cup.
- Johnny Esaw - Play-By-Play (1962–1973), Host (1974–1986)
- Pat Marsden - Sideline Reporter/Host (1968–1973), Play-By-Play (1974–1986)
- Al McCann - Play-By-Play/Host/Reporter (1963–1986)
- Dale Isaac - Play-By-Play
- Don Chevrier - Play-By-Play (1981–1986)
- Gene Filipski - Colour Commentator/Host (1967–1968)
- Bill Bewley - Colour Commentator (1968)
- Dick Shatto - Colour Commentator (1970–1973)
- Wally Gabler - Colour Commentator (1974)
- Mike Wadsworth - Colour Commentator (1975–1981)
- Frank Rigney - Colour Commentator (1979–1986)
- Bernie Pascall - Colour, Host, Reporter (1969-1980)
- Leif Pettersen - Colour Commentator (1982–1986)
- Annis Stukus - Colour Commentator (1965)
- Jack Gotta - Colour Commentator (1984)
- Tom McKee - Host (1975–1986)
- Bill Stephenson - Sidleine reporter (1972–1986)
- Terry Lynne Meyer - Sideline Reporter
- Dan Matheson - Host
- Joe Spence - Colour Commentator
- Jack Wells - Play-By-Play
- Bob Gillingham - Sideline Reporter