Carlsbad High School (Carlsbad, California)
|Carlsbad High School|
|3557 Lancer Way
Carlsbad, California, USA
|School district||Carlsbad Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Matthew Steitz|
|Number of students||3,351|
Purple, Black, White, and Gold
|Fight song||"Minnesota Rouser"|
|Athletics||CIF San Diego Section, Avocado West League|
|Rival||La Costa Canyon High School|
Carlsbad High School is a public High School in Carlsbad, California. First opened in 1957, the high school underwent major redevelopment from 2009 to 2012.
Located in Carlsbad, San Diego, California, a suburb of San Diego, Carlsbad High School was built in 1957. Carlsbad High School is renowned for its high level of academic success and graduate levels, with top students from each year attending many of the most prestigious universities in the United States. The SAT average for 2009 seniors was 1022, or 541/section. (Note, only 57% of the seniors took the SAT on record). The mean ACT score was a 24, with a 16% participation rate among seniors. The API school index, for 2010 was 812. Additionally, 570 students took a total of 1101 Advanced Placement,or AP exams, with a 78% passing rate (scores of 3,4, and 5).
On December 8, 2001, the band No Doubt played a surprise concert at the high school as the first episode of the MTV show "Jammed." Students were not told of the concert until they were dismissed from class for the day. MTV staff worked with school administrators and staff to facilitate the concert between the football field and gymnasium.
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger visited the high school on 8/11/2006  to announce his plans for the future of funding and education in California's schools. The campus is currently under renovation, and has a new stadium.
Carlsbad High School is also well known for extracurricular and athletic excellence: examples include: The Speech and Debate team, Technical Theater Program, Lancer Dancers, Chamber Singers, the Carlsbad Marching Lancers, Wind Symphony, the CHS Cross Country Team, Soccer Team, Waterpolo Team, the Swim team, and the Surf team (which has been crowned state champions more times than all other Carlsbad High sports teams).
Carlsbad High School's campus reflects the many years the school has been established. Originally built more than fifty years ago, the campus has undergone renovation and construction on a new campus. Renovation for the whole campus began in 2008 with the construction of a new football field and stadium. The new 'Swede Krcmar Field' opened March 2010. Newly built classrooms were occupied by classes beginning January 9, 2012. The world famous skate landmark, the Carlsbad Gap, was destroyed on February 23, 2012. Renovation was completed in May 2012 with the construction of a new parking lot.
Achievements, awards, distinctions
- 2012 - Mens Cross Country Team won two consecutive Cif Championships, 3rd in California State Championship 2012, and 18th at Nike Cross Nationals 2012. Named San Diego's best cross country team in history.
- 2010 - The Purple Shield Yearbook received first place in the North County Del Mar Fair Competition. Editors: Taylor Deisinger, Samantha Garcia, Rita Heredia and Nicole Numerich
- 2010 - The Lancer Express received first place in San Diego County Fair Competition. Editors: Ben Kelly, Alex Lancial, Emma Marshall, Christina Sintek. "Month of Tolerance" Feature received Best in Class Award at San Diego County Fair Competition.
- Home to the nationally acclaimed and award-winning CHSTV.
- 2002, 2005 and 2006 CIF San Diego Section Football Division I Championship.
- CIF-record eight consecutive Division 1 Water Polo Championships (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010)
- Men's Swimming CIF Champions: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013
- National Champion Lancer Dancers . UDA National Titles include:
- 2001 - Large Varsity Jazz
- 2002 - Large Varsity Jazz, ESPN TV Challenge
- 2003 - Large Varsity Jazz
- 2004 - Small Varsity Hip Hop
- 2006 - Small Varsity Hip Hop AND Small Varsity Jazz
- 2007 - Small Varsity Jazz
- 2011 - Small Varsity Hip Hop
- 2006- Show Choir (Sound Express) placed first at Hart High School Competition.
- 2012 - Show Choir (Encore) placed first at SoCal Show Choir Invitational.
- 2013 - Show Choir (Encore) placed first at SoCal Show Choir Invitational.
- Home to the famous Carlsbad Gap, a street skateboarding attraction popularized in skate videos and magazines. Carlsbad High School is featured in Tony Hawk 's Pro Skater 2 video game, where the gap is a skateboard obstacle.
- Carlsbad High School Television
2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 winner of the prestigious STN Award of Excellence CHSTV is recognized across the country as a model for scholastic broadcast journalism.
- As Marching Lancers
- 2003-2006 - Top-ranked band in San Diego County
- 2005 - SCSBOA Class 5A Field Show Champions
- 2009 - SCSBOA Class 3A Field Show Champions
- 2010 - SCSBOA Class 3A Field Show Champions
- As Wind Symphony
- 2004 - First high school band to perform at Carnegie Hall
- 2006 - 1st place in festival held at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC
- 2010 - Unanimous Superior Ranking at Heritage Festival of Gold, held in Orchestra Hall, Chicago
- The Wind Symphony achieved a Unanimous Superior ranking (the highest ranking possible) at all the competitions it attended between 1999 and 2013.
- The Wind Symphony has been invited to perform at the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia, every year since 2004, but has declined each year, lacking funds for such a trip.
- 2009 - 7th place at WGI World Percussion Championships in Dayton, Ohio
- Color Guard
- 2011 - WGASC Champions
- As Marching Lancers
- Speech and Debate
- National Qualifiers 2008-2013
- Tournament of Champions qualifiers in multiple debates
- League Champions 4 years running
- Currently ranked 5th in the State
- Currently ranked in the top 1% nationally
- Carlsbad High School Chamber Orchestra
- 2011 March 12 - SCSBOA Superior Unanimous @ El Camino High School 
Fall 2011- Technical Theater won 1st place for their Set and Lighting design at DTASC.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Brady Anderson, Baseball; Baltimore Orioles 
- Joey Beltran, MMA, UFC Heavyweight known as the mexicutioner
- Colin Branch, Football; Stanford University & Carolina Panthers
- Chad Butler, Musician, drummer for Switchfoot
- Sean Canfield, Football; Oregon State & New Orleans Saints
- Brandon Chillar, Football; UCLA & Green Bay Packers
- Jonathan Compas, Football; UC Davis & Tampa Bay Buccaneers; New England Patriots
- Troy Glaus, Major League Baseball player, won World Series with the Anaheim Angels(now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) in 2002
- Tony Hawk, Professional skateboarder, attended Freshman and Sophomore years
- Ted Johnson, Football; University of Colorado & New England Patriots
- Scott Karl, Baseball; Milwaukee Brewers, Colorado Rockies
- Taylor Knox, Professional Surfer
- Glen Kozlowski, Football; Chicago Bears
- Sal Masekela, Actor/Commentator
- Autumn Reeser, Actress
- Vic So'oto, Football; BYU & Green Bay Packers
- Staciana Stitts, Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer
- Brett Swain, NFL player
- Shaun White, Olympic Gold Medal Snowboarder
- "Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Home". Gov.ca.gov. 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Carlsbad High School: News Items for the Home Page". Carlsbadhs.schoolloop.com. 2011-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Brady Anderson Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Troy Glaus Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- Carlsbad High School
- CUSD Website
- Lancer Football
- Lancer Water Polo
- Lancer Track
- Lancer Surf Team
- Lancer Baseball
- Lancer Dancers
- Cheer Leading
- Lancer Lady's Soccer
- Lancer LaCrosse
- Marching Lancers and Wind Symphony
- CHS Television
- Cultural Arts Center
- CHS ALUMNI