||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
|Motto||Your Bridge to Success!|
|Type||Community and Technical College, Public|
|President||Dr. Ron Anderson|
|Location||White Bear Lake, Minnesota, USA|
|Campus||Suburban, 170 acres (69 ha)|
|Mascot||Woody Wood Duck|
Century College is a two-year community college in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Part of the MnSCU system, it is Minnesota's largest two-year community and technical college. Century was founded in 1967 as Lakewood Community College but in 1996 merged with Northeast Metro Technical to become Century College.
About Century College
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association. This accreditation facilitates the transfer of credit to Minnesota universities and colleges as well as to institutions throughout the United States.
Century offers liberal arts transfer degrees and professional programs. It also offers over 60 different career programs and short-term certificate programs. Classes are offered online, and during the day, evening, and weekends. Century College also offers accelerated classes that begin after Labor Day and end before Thanksgiving.
In 2007 the Kopp Technology Center, named after Lee and Barbara Kopp, was dedicated. 2008 marked the grand opening of Century College’s new science/library building.
Fields of study include Advertising and Marketing, Art and Design, Automotive, Business and Management, Nursing, EMS, Industry and Industrial Design, Law Enforcement, Liberal Arts, Science, and Technology. Continuing Education and Customized Training programs serve students and business/industry customers in all these areas and more.
Century's community service programs include Hands-on learning for kids and teens, Prime Time classes, Scenic Wood Duck Trail, and others. Century is affiliated with the Minnesota Community College Conference and National Junior College Athletic Association Division 3.
Honors and Achievements
- For three consecutive years, Century College won top honors for being both the best in the state and the best in the region in the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC) Student Mathematics League Contest. Century is in AMATYC’s Central Region, which consists of 12 states.
- Century’s debate team was the second-ranked community college debate team in the country. Since its inception, the Century debate team has won trophies in several national tournaments, competing against such teams as the University of California, Berkeley and Notre Dame.
- The Phi Theta Kappa national honor society chapter at Century was recognized as one of the two top chapters in the Midwest Region among 56 chapters.
- The ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Institute, a cooperative venture with Metropolitan State University and private funders such as Bremer Bank, received the “Outstanding Partnership” award from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
- The National Women's Studies Association honored Professor Judith Roy, the chair of Century's Women and Gender Studies Program, by electing her as the association's national president. This is the first time that a two-year college faculty member has been named to the top leadership role in an association that includes public and private higher education institutions offering baccalaureate and graduate degrees.
- Century College has received two National Science Foundation grants for “Investigative Sciences in Law Enforcement Technology.” Century offers a comprehensive "crime scene investigation" program.
- Century was one of 10 colleges nationally to receive a grant from the Fetzer Institute to promote the “Deepening the American Dream” project.
- Century received $130,000 from 3M and Delta Dental to start a community dental clinic to serve low-income patients.
- Century's "Phantasmagoria" was the only literary journal/magazine published at a two-year college in Minnesota. It ceased publication in 2008.
- Century’s Teaching Circles were among the 10 finalists for the national Bellwether Prize for outstanding academic innovation.
- Century's GPS LifePlan was Innovation of the Year for 2007 and recognized by the League for Innovation.
- State of Minnesota: Century College. Google Earth. Retrieved 2011-03-09.