This page is about Chetpet town in Thiruvannamalai. See Chetput (Chennai) for the Chennai suburb.
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 4181|
|Sex ratio||1:1 ♂/♀|
Chetpet has a population of nearly 36,000 and is evenly split between male and female. Chetpet has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%, with male literacy at 77% and female literacy at 61%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
It is situated in the middle of Thiruvannamalai district; neighbouring towns are Vandavasi (east), Polur (west), Gingee (south), Thiruvannamalai (south-west) and Arani (north). More than 80% of its inhabitants are farmers and the primary source of income is agriculture. The main crops in the area are groundnut, paddy and sugarcane. Chettupattu is considered to be a positively developing town, in the rank of Town Panchayat with the group of villages Pazhampet, Kannanoor and Chettupattu. Animal husbandry provides subsidiary income to farmers in the region. A veterinary dispensary established and functioning since 1963 is also a boon to the livestock farmers.
- "Sri Muthumariyaman Temple" is located in Palampet. Here every year "Aadi thiruvizha" is celebrated. Every Friday of that month is very special for that temple and every year people celebrate the Pongal in this temple only.
- Shri Ramachandra Perumal Temple, Nedungunam, Vandavasi Taluk which is 3KM from Chetpet.
- Sri KannikaParemeshari Temple, Police Station Street, Chetpet,
- On the route from Chennai to Vandavasi in Chetpet, there is a temple built for Manikkavacakar and Lord Shiva. It also has a Navagraha temple, built sometime during the 1920s.
- The famous temple in the Chetpet "Throwpathi Amman Temple " is located in Palampet. Here the Agni Vasantha Vizha is very famous around the village.
- More than 100 years old, the famous "Sri karpaga Vinyagar" temple is located on Azhagri Street, Pazhampet.
- AG Church, Since 2008 in Vandavasi Road, Pazhampet, Chetpet.
- St. Lourdes Shrine, Chetpet, which was constructed by Rev. Father. Darras in the 1890's. It is one of the largest and oldest Churches in Tamil Nadu.
- Every year they celebrate the "madha kovil" functions, which take place from Sunday to Wednesday. All the people celebrate and share the moments with friends and families.
Our Lady of St. Lourdes Shrine Church provides a face-lift to the people of Chetpet Town.
Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, a church completed in A.D. 1896 by Fr. Jean Francis Maria Darras, presents a fascinating study of contrasting styles for a connoisseur of architecture, as it is a replica of our Lady of Lourdes church[clarification needed] - France.
In 1877, Fr. Darras came to Chetpet as a parish priest, intending to build a church in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes. The little hill near Chetpet Town, 2 miles down the road from Vandavasi, seemed to the chosen place for Our Lady. Fr. Darras considered it to be a place where heaven and earth came closer together, so he decided to erect a chapel there. The small chapel was completed in November 1879. From this moment, the hill became known as the “Virgin of the Hill”.
The honor which Fr. Darras vowed to give to Our Lady of Lourdes was not to end with the chapel. He intended to have a larger church built at Chetpet. On 1 May in 1888 at the hour of Angelus, Fr. Darras blessed and laid the stone of the church. By 1896 the church was almost completed. The church rises to a height of 34 meters at the transept and is 36 meters long and 18 meters broad with a dome above the sanctuary. It has become one of the historical, religious and architectural landmarks of Chetpet.
Fr. Jean Francis Maria Darras, born at Cappelle in France on 16-03-1835, was ordained a priest of the Paris Missionary Society on 18-6-1859 and arrived at Pondicherry in the same year. Having worked tirelessly[peacock term] at the seminary for 9 years and at the Cathedral for 2 years, he opted for the forsaken and the oppressed. From 1871 to 1877, he proclaimed Christ’s Message in South Arcot from Attipakkam to Chettupattu and converted many.
In 1877 he arrived at Chettupattu and having become its first parish priest in 1878 he put up the Hill Chapel and celebrated the first feast on 2-2-1880. From 1881 to 1895, he toiled and struggled to put up the Shrine Church, and spread the glory of Our Lady[peacock term]. Having founded many parishes in N.A.[clarification needed], during his relentless missionary work of 40 years, he converted more than 30,000 souls. He died on 30-10-1916.
In Chettupattu there are 4 mosques:
- In Pazampettai near the Kamarajar statue;
- In Police Station Street or Polur Road;
- Anna Street;
- TNTJ (Tamiḻnāṭu tavhīt jamā'at, a non-profit volunteer organization) Markas, which is also in Anna Street near Padmavathi Marriage Hall.
Places of interest
- AG Church is in the Vandavasi Road, Near To Regulated Market (Committee)
- St. Thomas hospital, was established in Chettupattu by Dr. Maria Aschhoff
- Suraj hospital for very famous in dharuma raja kovil st Arani Road, Palampet, Chetpet
- The place called Community is famous for crop exchange all over Tamil Nadu. It was awarded second place for crop exchanges Tamil Nadu. There is also a very old fort. In Chetpet there are more than 2000 shops including branches of Union Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank and State Bank of India.
- Every year, the Lourdes Shrine is decorated for a Christian church festival. This occasion attracts many thousands of people to Chetpet town.
- Padmavathi Theatre [DTS]
Tamil cinema movies released here on the basis of most awaited movie of the year, such as Thala Ajith, Illayathalapathy Vijay, Superstar Rajini etc.
- Sri Renugambal Real Estate, Pazhampet, Chetpet.
- For Pongal festival jallikattu is very famous in Pazhampettai Dhrobathi Amman temple and Maariamman Temple.
- Union Bank of India and 2 ATM
- State Bank of India and 2 ATM
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Corporation Bank
- Karur Vysya ATM
- Pallavan Grama Bank
- Axis Bank ATM
Educational institutions in Chetpet include:
- Dhivya Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Dhivya College of Education
- Dhivya Arts and Science College
- Dhivya Polytechnic College திவ்யா பாலிடெக்னிக் கல்லூரி
- Dhivya High School
- Dhivya Teacher Training Institute
- St. Dominic Savio Higher Secondary School
- St. Anne Higher Secondary School
- Government Higher Secondary School
- Danie Matriculation High School
- panchayat union primary school
suraj matriculation school
- Ansaldo Matriculation High School. Maruthuvambadi
- Ansaldo College of Education. Marthuvambadi.