This page is about Chetpet town in Thiruvannamalai. See Chetput (Chennai) for the Chennai suburb.
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 4181|
|Sex ratio||1:1 ♂/♀|
Chetpet had a population of nearly 36000. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Chetpet has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 77% and female literacy of 61%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
It is Suitated in the middle of Thiruvannamalai district, with the boundaries of east Vandavasi town, west Polur town, south Gingee town, south west Thiruvannamalai town and north Arani town. More than 80% of the people are farmers, and most people are having income resourced from agriculture. the main crops in the area is groundnet, paddy, sugarcane. Cheththupattu is one of the well developing town, which is in the rank of Town Panchayat with the group of villages Pazhampet, Kannanoor,and Cheththupattu. the pincode number is 606801.Animal husbandry activities provides subsidiary income to the farmers & womens in this area.a veterinary dispensary was established in 1963 and started functioning since then, a boon to the livestock farmers.
The STD code for Chetpet is 04181.
- Shri Ramachandra Perumal Temple, Nedungunam, Vandavasi Taluk which is nearby Chetpet about 3 km.
- Sri KannikaParemeshari Temple,Police station street,Chetpet,
- On the route from Chennai to Vandavasi in Chetpet, there is a temple built for Manikkavacakar and Lord Shiva. It also has a Navagraha temple, built sometime around 1922.
- The famous temple in the Chetpet is "Throwpathi Amman Temple " is located in Palampet. Here the Agni Vasantha Vizha is very famous in the around the village.
- St. Lourdes Shrine, Chetpet, which was constructed by Rev. Father. Daras in 1890's. It is one of the biggest and old Church in Tamil Nadu.
Our Lady of St. Lourdes Shrine Church provides a face-lift to the people of Chetpet Town.
Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine church completed in A.D. 1896 by Fr. Jean Francis Maria Darras presents a fascinating study of contrasting styles for a connoisseur of architecture as it is a replica of our Lady of Lourdes church - France.
In 1877, Fr. Darras came to Chetpet as a parish Priest, intended to built a church in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes. The little hill nearby the chetpet town, 2 miles from chetpet on the road to Vandavasi, seemed to the chosen place of Our Lady. Fr. Darras considered it as a place where heaven and earth came closer to each other, so he decided to erect a chapel. The Small chapel was completed in November 1879. From this moment, the hill became the “Virgin of the Hill”
The honor which Fr. Darras vowed to give to Our Lady of Lourdes, was not to be stopped with the chapel. He intended to have a larger church built at chetpet in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes. On 1 May in 1888 at the hour of Angelus, Fr. Darras blessed and laid the stone of the church. By 1896 the church was almost completed. The Church rises transept of 34 meters high, 36 meters long and 18 meters broad with a dome above the sanctuary. Now it becomes one of the historical. religious and architectural landmarks of Chetpet.
Fr. Jean Francis Maria Darras, born at Cappelle in France on 16-03-1835, was ordained a priest of Paris Missionary Society on 18-6-1859 and arrived at Pondicherry in the same year. Having worked tirelessly at the Seminary for 9 years and at the Cathedral for 2 years, he opted for the forsaken and the oppressed. From 1871 to 1877, he proclaimed Christ’s Message in South Arcot from Attipakkam to Chethupattu and converted many.
In 1877 he arrived at chethupattu and having become its first parish priest in 1878 he put up the Hill Chapel and celebrated the first feast on 2-2-1880. From 1881 to 1895, he toiled and struggled to put up the Shrine Church, and spread the glory of Our Lady. Having founded many parishes in N.A., during his relentless missionary work of 40 years, he has converted more than 30,000 souls. The holy priest and the great devotee of our lady attained eternity 30-10-1916.
Places of interest
- St. Thomas hospital, which was established in Cheththupattu by the Dr Maria Aschhoff
- The place called Commity is famous for crop exchange all over Tamil Nadu. It was awarded second place for crop exchanges Tamil Nadu. There is also very old fort. In Chetpet there are more than 2000 shops including branches of Union Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank and State Bank of India.
- Every year, the Lourdes Shrine is decorated for a Christian church festival. This occasion attracts many thousands of people to Chetpet town annually.
- Padmavathi Theatre [DTS]
Tamil cinema Movies released here on the basis of most awaited movie of the year, Such as Illayathalapathy Vijay, Superstar Rajini and etc.,
Educational institutions in Chetpet include:
- Dhivya Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Dhivya College of Education
- Dhivya Arts and Science College
- Dhivya Polytechnic College திவ்யா பாலிடெக்னிக் கல்லூரி
- Dhivya High School
- Dhivya Teacher Training Institute
- St. Dominic Savio Higher Secondary School
- St. Anne Higher Secondary School
- Government Higher Secondary School
- Danie Matriculation High School
- panchayat union primary school
suraj matriculation school