Chhipa, a cloth printer from Tashrih al-aqvam (1825)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Nepal, India and Pakistan|
|Nepal Bhasa, Gujarati, Kutchi and Marwari|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Ranjitkar, Chhipi and Chhimba|
History and origin
The word chhipa is derived from the Gujarati word chhapa, which means to print. They are Rajput. The community was originally found in Nagaur in Rajasthan. After their settlement in rajsthan and Gujarat, the community took up the occupation of dyeing and printing clothes. The community speak Marwari, and are found mainly in rajshan (jodhpur, bikaner, nagaur, kuchaman, kuchera, churu, hudas and etc..) and in north Gujarat, in the districts of Ahmedabad, Nadiad, Baroda and Bharuch. Most Chhipa also speak Gujarati. Chhipa are also known as Chhimpa in Bikaner. In Punjab too, number of chippas live especially Bathinda, Malout, Muktsar, Moga and faridkot. There are 800 homes of Chippa in Bathinda alone. They belong to Sikhism. People from the chippa clan go to Ghuman Sahib to celebrate the birthday of Bhagat Namdev. Bhagat Namdev holy words are also in Guru Granth Sahib.
Surnames or Gotras of Chippa family are Battu, Taggar, Rai, Kamboh, Saggu, Sran, bagria, Hallan, Chahil, Aulakh, Bedi, karir, Pharwaha, Neeraj, Sappal, garcha, kainth, Jassal, vattu, Virpal, Braha or Birha, Purba, Gill (they are also found in Jatt clan) and Rohilla. Rakhra, Rai and Sran are all Jatt farmers who owned chippa shops with employees for hire. During tough drought times they would learn the skill of machining machines, carpentry or cloth manufacturing. Large amount of their income was from farming.
Some Kainth, Jassal, Birha and Vattu families live in Glasgow, Uk. They are migrated from Punjab (Moga, Kotkapura and Malout cities).
The Jat community is divided into a number of clans, known as Takhars, the main ones being the Tak, Jat, Deol, Chauhan and siani,pawar, rao.Each of these clans except saini are of equal status, and intermarry. But the community has a marked preference for cross cousin and parallel cousin marriages. Surnames of Chippa family are Battu, Taggar, Kamboh, Saggu, Bagria, Hallan, Chahil, Aulakh, Bedi, karir, Pharwaha, Neeraj, Sappal, garcha, kainth, Jassal (they are also found in Jatt clan), Vattu, Virpal, Braha or Birha, Purba, Gill (they are also found in Jatt clan) and Rohilla.
- Author:Pratima Ranjitkar, Article: Majipatka Ranjitkarharu, Language:Nepali
- Author:Professor Bhai Raja Ranjitkar, Article:Ranjitkar, Language:Nepalbhasha
- People of India Gujarat Volume XXI Part Three edited by R.B Lal, P.B.S.V Padmanabham, G Krishnan & M Azeez Mohideen pages 1181-1184
- http://www.chhipa.org/ Chhipa Welfare Association
- Abandoned babies given away on Pakistani TV programme
6. india's chhipa directory and metrimony web site is http://www.muslimchhipa.com/
- Phada textile art of Chhipa in Rajasthan
- Chhipa block printing in Rajasthan
- Namdev Vanshi Chhipa community
- Kathari block printing from 1895