||This biographical article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (January 2014)|
Life and work
He joined Magnum Photos in 1995 and was elected as a full member in 2001.
He lives in Taichung, Taiwan and Graz, Austria.
Chang focuses on the abstract concepts of alienation and connection. “The Chain,” a collection of portraits made in a mental asylum in Taiwan, was shown at La Biennale di Venezia (2001) and the Bienal de São Paulo (2002). The nearly life-sized photographs of pairs of patients chained together resonate with Chang’s look at the less visible bonds of marriage. He has treated marital ties in two books—I do I do I do (2001), a collection of images depicting alienated grooms and brides in Taiwan, and in Double Happiness (2005), a depiction of the business of selling brides in Vietnam. The ties of family and of culture are also the themes of a project begun in 1992. For 21 years, Chang has photographed and videoed the bifurcated lives of Chinese immigrants in New York’s Chinatown, along with those of their wives and families back home in Fujian. Still a work in progress, “China Town” was hung at the National Museum of Singapore in 2008 as part of a mid-career survey and at Venice Biennale (2011) as well as at International Center of Photography, New York (2012). Chang’s investigation of the ties that bind one person to another draws on his own divided immigrant experience in the United States.
- 1998: First Place, Daily Life, World Press Photo, Amsterdam.
- 1998: Visa d’Or, Visa Pour L'image, Perpignan.
- 1998: Magazine Photographer of the Year, NPPA, USA.
- 1999: W. Eugene Smith Grant, W. Eugene Smith Memorial Fund for Humanistic Photography, New York.
- 2003: First Place, Best of Photography Book (The Chain), Pictures of the Year International, USA.
Books and selected monographs
- Chang, Chien-Chi, The Chain, Photographs by Chien-Chi Chang. Taipei: Taipei Fine Arts Museum, 2001.
- Chang, Chien-Chi, I do I do I do. Taipei: Premier Foundation, 2001. ISBN 957-97817-2-9.
- Chang, Chien-Chi; Lai, Cheryl, The chain. London: Trolley, 2002. ISBN 0-9542079-5-5.
- Chang, Chien-Chi; Dowling, Claudia Glenn, Double Happiness. New York, NY: Aperture, 2005. ISBN 1-931788-56-1.
- Chang, Chien-Chi, I Grandi Fotografi: Magnum Photos: Chien-Chi Chang. Milan: Hachette Fascioli, 2008.
- Chang, Chien-Chi, Les Grands Photographe de Magnum Photos: Chien-Chi Chang.' Paris: Hachette, 2008.
- Chang, Chien-Chi, Doubleness: photography of Chang Chien-Chi. Singapore: Editions Didier Millet and National Museum of Singapore, 2008. ISBN 978-981-05-9658-3.
- 2007: Empty Orchestra.
- 2008: China Town I.
- 2009: Escape from North Korea.
- 2011: Burmese Days.
- 2011: Bongo Fever.
- 2011: China Town II.
- 2013: AccessRH, Philippines.
- 1999 The Alternative Museum, New York City.
- 2001 Taipei Fine Arts Museum, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2001 Venice Biennale, Venice.
- 2002 São Paulo Biennial, São Paulo.
- 2004 Southeast Museum of Photography, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- 2004 Ffotogallery, Cardiff.
- 2006 Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio.
- 2008 National Museum of Singapore, Singapore.
- 2009 National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, Taichung.
- 2009 Venice Biennial, Venice.
- 2011 Museum of Cultures / Museum der Kulturen, Basel.
- 2012 The Cube Project Space, Taipei.
- 2012 Chi-Wen Gallery, Taipei.
- 2012 International Center of Photography, New York City.
- 2013 Museum of Contemporary Arts, Taipei.
- 2013 Museum of National Taipei University of Education, National Taipei University of Education, Taipei.
Selected sound installations
- 2010 Many Voices of Immigrants, New York and Fuzhou, China.
- 2013 Postcards from North Korea.
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Biography and works at Magnum website
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Short biography at W. Eugene Smith Memorial Fund website ("1999: Chien-Chi Chang")
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Asian journey: Taiwan: a vanished place. TIME Asia, August 18—25, 2003.
- Lenzi, Iola. Chang Chien-Chi at the National Museum of Singapore. C-Arts, July 10, 2009.
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Escape from North Korea (photo gallery). National Geographic, February 2009.
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Escape from North Korea (video). Magnum in Motion, Magnum Photos, 2010
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Double Happiness (video). Magnum in Motion, Magnum Photos. 2011
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Burmese Days (video). Magnum in Motion, Magnum Photos, 2011
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Burma: Land of Shadows (photo gallery). National Geographic, August 2011
- The Singular Approach: Chien-Chi Chang's Contact Sheet Chronicle. TIME Lightbox, 2011
- Chang, Chien-Chi. China Town II (video). Museum der Kulturen, Magnum in Motion. Magnum Photos, 2012
- Chang, Chien-Chi. Bongo Fever (video). Magnum in Motion, Magnum Photos, 2012