|Larson in 2010|
|Member of the Wisconsin Senate
from the 7th district
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Jeffrey Plale|
November 12, 1980 |
Christopher J. “Chris” Larson (born November 12, 1980) is a Democratic member of the Wisconsin Senate, representing the 7th District since 2011. He was previously a member of the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors from 2008 through 2010. As of the 2013 session, he is the minority leader of the Senate.
Early life, education and career
Larson graduated from Thomas More High School in Milwaukee in 1999 and earned a Bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, with a minor in political science. During his freshman year at UWM, the 19-year-old was ticketed for shoplifting food from a Milwaukee grocery store. As part of a plea bargain, Larson agreed to take a course in exchange for having the charges dropped. The arrest has been repeatedly brought up whenever he runs for office.
Before being elected to the County Board in 2008, he was business manager of a sporting goods store. Larson is an avid runner, and has completed many marathons. He is married to Jessica; they live near Humboldt Park in Milwaukee.
On September 14, 2010, Larson defeated incumbent Senator Jeffrey Plale in the Wisconsin Democratic primary election, contending that Plale was far too conservative for the district. Larson won by 7,962 (60.7%) to 5,148 (39.3%) for Plale.
During Larson's Senate career PolitiFact Wisconsin has ruled on six of Larson's statements for accuracy. PolitiFact has ruled Larson Mostly False on five of his statements and Pants On Fire false on the sixth.
2011 Wisconsin protests
During the protests in Wisconsin, Larson, along with the 13 other Democratic State Senators, fled the state to deny the State Senate a quorum on Governor Scott Walker's controversial "Budget Repair" legislation. All 14 returned on March 12.
- Bice, Daniel. "Candidate's old shoplifting bust surfaces." Milwaukee Journal Sentinel March 16, 2008
- Larson's County Board profile
- Stein, Jason. "Larson unseats Plale in state Senate race: He will face Republican Ripp in general election in 7th District" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel September 14, 2010
- Fortis, Louis and Lisa Kaiser. "And the Candidates Are…: A preview of the September primary matchups" Shepherd Express July 21, 2010
- "Fall 2010 primary election results" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel September 14, 2010
- Stein, Jason and Annysa Johnson. "Republicans take over state Senate, Assembly: It's first time one party wins both houses since 1938" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel November 3, 2010
- Tolan, Tom. "Larson wins 7th Senate District race." Milwaukee Journal Sentinel November 2, 2010
- "Chris Larson's Polifact file:"
- "Wisconsin Democrats could stay away for weeks" WRAL-TV February 18, 2011
- Senator Chris Larson at the Wisconsin State Legislature
- Chris Larson official campaign site
- Biography at Ballotpedia
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (state office) at the National Institute for Money in State Politics