Christopher J. Connors
Christopher J. Connors (born June 26, 1956) is an American Republican Party politician, who has served in the New Jersey Senate since January 8, 2008, where he currently represents the 9th legislative district. He served in the General Assembly from 1989-2008, where he was the Assistant Majority Leader from 1992-95.
Connors serves in the Senate on the Community and Urban Affairs Committee and the Law and Public Safety and Veterans' Affairs Committee. He served in the Assembly on the Homeland Security and State Preparedness and on the Judiciary Committees. He sponsored a law enacted in January 2000 requiring installation of ignition interlock devices in cars of repeat drunk driving offenders and of a 1998 law requiring criminal background checks for nurse aides and home personal care licensing applicants. He succeeded his father Leonard T. Connors, who served in the New Jersey Senate from 1982-2008.
Connors served on the Lacey Township Committee from 1985–90 and was Mayor of Lacey Township from 1986-89. Connors was Executive Director from 1988–89 and was Deputy Executive Director from 1982-88 of the New Jersey Commission on Capital Budgeting and Planning during the Administration of former Governor Thomas Kean.
Born in Ridgewood, New Jersey on June 26, 1956, Connors received a B.S. degree in 1978 from Stockton State College (now Richard Stockton College of New Jersey) in Business Administration, an M.P.A. in 1988 from Rutgers University in Public Administration and was awarded a J.D. in 1995 from the Rutgers School of Law - Camden in Camden.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 9th Legislative District for the 2012-13 Legislative Session are:
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011|
|Republican||Christopher J. Connors (incumbent)||32,027||64.9%|
|Democratic||Dorothy A. Ryan||17,320||35.1%|
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2007|
|Republican||Christopher J. Connors (incumbent)||35,504||62.3%|
|Democratic||Russell K. Corby||21,524||37.7%|
- Senator Connors' Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 21, 2008.
- Previti, Emily. "Era ends today for Connors in Senate", The Press of Atlantic City, January 7, 2008. Accessed February 1, 2012. "Today marks the last legislative session for state Sen. Leonard T. Connors, who has held the seat for a quarter-century.... The 78-year-old will be succeeded by his son, Assemblyman Christopher Connors, R -Ocean, Burlington, Atlantic, who will be sworn in to his Senate seat..."
- Assembly Member Christopher J. Connors, Project Vote Smart. Accessed August 9, 2007.
- Legislative Roster 2012-2013 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 1, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 14, 2011. Accessed January 8, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2007 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 3, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Senator Christoper Connors's Official Site
- Senator Connors' Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Senator Christopher J. Connors, Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Voter Information Website for 2003