|Born||April 8, 1978|
|Origin||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Genres||Electronic music, glitch, pop, ambient, electroacoustic, experimental, noise|
|Occupations||Musician, artist, record producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, computer, electronic musical instruments, vocals, percussion, synthesizer|
|Labels||Ghostly International, 12k, Overlap|
The North Valley Subconscious Orchestra
Willits, as a solo artist or in collaboration, has released music on the following record labels: 12k (USA), Ghostly International (USA), Fällt (Ireland), Sub Rosa (Belgium), Nibble Records (USA), Ache Records (Canada), Yacca (Japan) and Plop (Japan). He has toured throughout Europe, America, China and Japan.
Willits has participated in numerous projects, including collaborations with Ryuichi Sakamoto, Zach Hill (drummer from the band Hella), Miguel Depedro (Kid606), Brad Laner (Medicine), Nate Boyce, Latrice Barnett (singer/songwriter and bassist for Handsome Boy Modeling School), Taylor Deupree (12k record label founder), Scott Pagano (visual artist and motion graphics designer), Matmos. Willits is also the founder and director of the record label and community building organization Overlap.
Willits' guitar lines and harmonies are folded into each other using custom-designed software (Willits uses the term "folding" to describe the non-linear, real-time indexing, cutting and re-sampling of guitar and voice).
Willits, in an interview, further expanded on the term 'folding,' "It has a lot to do with time. I actually wrote a whole thesis about this, if you want to go to the Mills library and check it out [laughs]. It's a very simple process of recording something to memory and then indexing at different points. But instead of it being a granular process [a form of synthesis in which a sample is separated into 'grains'], I'm actually skating to different locations within this memory. So there's this continuous rupture of time that creates these rhythmic patterns, so these melodic patterns start to emerge out of this time processing technique."
Willits regularly gives workshops on the creative process and his custom software. He hosted a video series on XLR8R entitled "What You Talkin' Bout, Willits?" in which he delved into techniques of making music with a laptop and being a professional musician.
- Opening (Ghostly International) - 2014 
- GOLD (Overlap) - 2011
- Live On Earth – Vol. 3 (self-released) - 2011
- Tiger Flower Circle Sun (Ghostly International) - 2010
- Live On Earth – Vol. 2 (self-released) - 2009
- Live On Earth – Vol. 1 (self-released) - 2009
- Plants and Hearts (Room40) - 2007
- Surf Boundaries (Ghostly International) – 2006
- Little Edo (Nibble) – 2004
- Pollen (Fallt) – 2003
- Folding, and the Tea (12k) – 2002
- :plateaus, centers, stoma... (self-released CDR) – 2001
- storks and wires (self-released CDR) – 2000
- Various artists – Idol Tryouts (Ghostly International) – 2006
- Various artists – SMM vol.2 - Breathe in Seven Sections (Ghostly International) – 2004
- Various artists – E*A*D*G*B*E - Seven Machines For Summer (12k) – 2003
Collaborations and Band Projects
- Willits + Sakamoto (Christopher Willits and Ryuichi Sakamoto) - "Ocean Fire" (Commmons/12k) - 2008
- Christopher Willits + Taylor Deupree – Listening Garden (Line) – 2007
- The North Valley Subconscious Orchestra – The Right Kind of Nothing (Ghostly International) – 2006
- Christopher Willits + Taylor Deupree – Live In Japan 2004 (12k) – 2005
- Flössin – Lead Singer (Ache Records, Yacca) – 2004
- Christopher Willits + Taylor Deupree – Mujo (Plop) – 2004
- Christopher Willits + Taylor Deupree – AS08 (Sub Rosa, Audiosphere) – 2003
- Saturn 138 (HWTBL) – 1998