Circle Line Downtown
|Locale||Manhattan, New York|
|Waterway||Buttermilk Channel, East River, Erie Basin, Haverstraw Bay, Kill Van Kull, Hudson River, New York Harbor, Upper New York Bay|
|Transit type||Water Tours|
|Operator||Circle Line Downtown
(New York Water Taxi)
|No. of lines||5|
|No. of vessels||2|
|No. of terminals||1|
Circle Line Downtown was established by President J.B. Meyer, third generation owner and operator of the family that founded the company and Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises brand. In 1953, Frank Barry, Gerald O'Driscoll, Helen Mitchell, William Moran, and Frank Clair founded Circle Line, the nautical sightseeing operation, providing cruises which circled Manhattan. The company's fleet was then a collection of modified craft, including surplus landing crafts from World War II, retired Coast Guard cutters, and private yachts.
Operating as Circle Line-Statue of Liberty Ferry, Inc., this offshoot was contracted by the United States Department of Interior National Park Service to provide exclusive ferry service to both Liberty Island and Ellis Island in 1954.
In 1982, the company collectively known as Circle Line split into two separate entities, Circle Line Sightseeing at 42nd Street and Circle Line-Statue of Liberty Ferry, Inc. Meyer and Moran soon came to head Statue of Liberty Ferry. Operating out of Battery Park, Circle Line-Statue of Liberty Ferry, Inc. ran service to Liberty and Ellis Islands until 2008, when the franschise was awarded to Statue Cruises.
After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Meyer and Moran, sought to lend a hand in the revitalization of lower Manhattan. The two founded Circle Line Harbor Cruises, LLC., known in the global tourism community as Circle Line Downtown in 2004.
- ZEPHYR Statue of Liberty Express is a one hour sightseeing cruise on board a luxury yacht that sails past many New York landmarks including the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- SHARK Speedboat Thrill Ride is a thirty minute speedboat ride along the New York Harbor.
- Happy Hour on the Harbor is a weekly ninety minute happy hour cruise that sails along the New York Harbor
- Tropical Oasis is a two and a half hour themed harbor cruise on board their ship the ZEPHYR that provides a large dance floor.
- Hidden Harbor Tour explores the largest and busiest maritime port on the Eastern seaboard in a 2-hour narrated tour aboard the ZEPHYR. The cruise visits spots on the waterfront that are hidden from normal view and can only be seen from the water.
- Fall Foliage sails by numerous famous historic sights and landmarks, such as Grant’s Tomb, The Little Red Lighthouse, Bear Mountain Bridge, Sleepy Hollow and George Washington Bridge.
- Ladies Night Out Cruises
- Holiday Parties
- New Year's Eve Cruises
- Private Charters
- Grace, Melissa (November 3, 2008). "New York Water Taxi buys Circle Line Downtown, two boats". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- ::: Welcome To The Only Official International Press Association Web Site :::