Claus Offe (born March 16, 1940 in Berlin) is a political sociologist of Marxist orientation. He received his PhD from the University of Frankfurt and his Habilitation at the University of Konstanz. In Germany, he has held chairs for Political Science and Political Sociology at the Universities of Bielefeld (1975–1989) and Bremen (1989–1995), as well as at the Humboldt-University of Berlin (1995–2005). He has worked as fellow and visiting professor at the Institutes for Advanced Study in Stanford, Princeton, and the Australian National University as well as Harvard University, the University of California at Berkeley and the The New School University, New York. Once a student of Jürgen Habermas, the left-leaning German academic is counted among the second generation Frankfurt School. He currently teaches political sociology at a private university in Berlin, the Hertie School of Governance.
He has been married to Ulrike Poppe since 2001.
Fields of research
- 2006 - Joint Professor of Theories of the State, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin (with Ulrich K. Preuss).
- 2005 — Retired in April.
- 1995-2005 — Professor of Political Science at the Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 1989-1995 — Teacher at University of Bremen and served as visiting professor at various academic institutions in US, Netherlands, Canada, Austria, Sweden, Australia and Italy.
- 1973 — Habilitation from the University of Konstanz.
- 1968 — Received a doctorate from the University of Frankfurt.
- 1965 — Graduated from the Free University of Berlin.
- 2010 - "Inequality and the Labour Market." Online: Institut für Arbeitsmarkt und Berufsforschung
- 2005 — ”Reflections on America: Tocqueville, Weber and Adorno in the United States”, Cambridge: University Press, ISBN 0-7456-3505-9.
- 1998 — ”Institutional Design in Post-Communist Societies. Rebuilding the Ship at Sea.” (with Jon Elster and Ulrich K. Preuss), Cambridge: University Press, ISBN 0-521-47386-1
- 1996 — ”The Varieties of Transition: the East European and East German experience” (with Jeremy Gaines), Cambridge: Polity Press, ISBN 0-7456-1608-9.
- 1996 — ”Modernity and The State: East and West.” (with Charles Turner and Jeremy Gaines), Cambridge: Polity Press, ISBN 0-7456-1674-7.
- 1982 — with Volker Gransow. "Political Culture and the Politics of the Social Democratic Government". TELOS 53 (Fall 1982). New York: Telos Press
- Homepage of Claus Offe at the Hertie School of Governance
|This article about a German academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|