Cristo Rey Network
|This article reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in an overly promotional tone. (February 2014)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2014)|
The Cristo Rey Network comprises 26 high schools that provide a quality, Catholic, college preparatory education to urban young people who live in communities with limited educational options. The schools utilize an innovative Corporate Work Study Program to help make private education affordable to students who might not otherwise have access to a quality education.
Cristo Rey Network schools utilize a longer school day and year, academic assistance, and counseling to prepare students with a broad range of academic abilities for college. All students at Cristo Rey Network schools participate in a Corporate Work Study Program through which they finance about half of the cost of their education, gain real-world job experience, grow in self-confidence and realize the relevance of their education.
Book about Cristo Rey
In January 2008, Loyola Press released More than A Dream: How One School's Vision is Changing the World. The book, authored by G. R. Kearney, a writer and former volunteer teacher for two years at the school as part of a Georgetown University postgraduation program, documents the development of the Cristo Rey model and the successes of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago and the Cristo Rey Network of Schools. These schools operate with a funding model that Marvin Hoffman's book review in the Chicago Tribune described as the "genius of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School", in which clusters of five students each rotate working one day a week at a job gaining work experience, with the salary covering a portion of the each student's tuition.
Schools in Network
In order of the year they joined the network, here are the current 26 Cristo Rey Network high schools:
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, Chicago, IL (1996)
- De La Salle North Catholic High School, Portland, OR (2001)
- Verbum Dei High School*, Los Angeles, CA (2002)
- Arrupe Jesuit High School, Denver, CO (2003)
- Cristo Rey Boston High School*, Boston, MA (2004)
- St. Martin de Porres High School, Cleveland, OH (2004)
- Notre Dame High School, Lawrence, MA (2004)
- Cristo Rey New York High School, New York City (2004)
- San Miguel High School, Tucson (2004)
- St. Martin de Porres High School, Waukegan, IL (2004)
- Cristo Rey Kansas City High School, Kansas City, MO (2006)
- Cristo Rey High School, Sacramento, CA (2006)
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, Baltimore, MD (2007)
- Holy Family Cristo Rey High School*, Birmingham, AL (2007)
- Providence Cristo Rey High School, Indianapolis, IN (2007)
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, Minneapolis, MN (2007)
- Christ the King Preparatory School, Newark, NJ (2007)
- Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School, Takoma Park, MD (serves Washington, DC metro area) (2007)
- Cristo Rey Brooklyn High School, Brooklyn, NY (2008)
- Detroit Cristo Rey High School, Detroit, MI (2008)
- Christ the King Jesuit College Prep High School, Chicago (West Side), IL (2008)
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX (2009)
- Immaculate Conception Academy* (All-Girls), San Francisco, CA (2009)
- DePaul Cristo Rey High School, Cincinnati, OH (2011)
- Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, Philadelphia, PA (2012)
- Cristo Rey Columbus High School, Columbus, OH (2013)
- *Existing school converted to Cristo Rey Network program.
Other schools are in development in:
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Dallas, Texas
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2015)
- Phoenix, Arizona
- San Antonio, Texas
- San Jose, California
- Hoffman, Marvin. "'More Than a Dream: The Cristo Rey Story' - Dreams and compromises at Chicago's Cristo Rey Jesuit High School", Chicago Tribune, April 12, 2008. Retrieved September 23, 2008.
- CRN. "Directory of Schools". Cristo Rey Network website. Archived from the original on 2004-10-11. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Bessette, Jeanne, OSF. "Welcome from the President". DePaul Cristo Rey High School. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Cristo Rey Network website
- New Yorks Times Company - Boston Globe - With sense of purpose, students cut class for a day (highlights aspects of the Cristo Rey Network scholastic model)
- Partners newsletter, 2003 issue - Cristo Rey Network Update
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Announcements - Success of Innovative Urban Catholic School Sparks Major Investment
-  Cristo Rey Plans Gain Momentum in Atlanta