Daddy Long Legs (1931 film)
|Daddy Long Legs|
Daddy Long Legs (1931) Movie Poster
|Directed by||Alfred Santell|
|Produced by||Sol M. Wurtzel|
|Music by||Hugo Friedhofer|
|Cinematography||Lucien N. Andriot|
|Edited by||Ralph Dietrich|
|Release dates||June 5, 1931|
|Running time||80 minutes|
|Box office||$1.5 million|
Daddy Long Legs (1931) is a film about an orphan who is taken under the wing of a wealthy benefactor.
Although, suffering under a tough matron, Judy Abbott (Janet Gaynor) manages to cope and help the other orphans, through intelligence and hard work.
Wealthy Jervis Pendleton (Warner Baxter), who is the benefactor, can't help admiring his young charge, though she doesn't know that he's sponsoring her schooling.
She does not realize he has been sponsoring her, even when they meet, through Jervis' niece, who is Judy's room mate; and, the girl who was once alone, has to choose between their growing affection, and a younger suitor.
- Janet Gaynor ... Judy Abbott
- Warner Baxter ... Jervis Pendleton
- Una Merkel ... Sally McBride
- John Arledge ... Jimmy McBride
- Claude Gillingwater ... Riggs (as Claude Gillingwater Sr.)
- Effie Ellsler ... Mrs. Semple
- Kendall McComas ... Freddie Perkins
- Kathlyn Williams ... Mrs. Pendleton
- Elizabeth Patterson ... Mrs. Lippett (matron)
- Louise Closser Hale ... Miss Pritchard
- Sheila Bromley ... Gloria (as Sheila Mannors)
- Billy Barty ... Orphan (uncredited)
- Edith Fellows ... Orphan (uncredited)
- Clarence Geldart ... Minister at Commencement (uncredited)
- Edwin Maxwell ... Wykoff (uncredited)
- Steve Pendleton ... Sally's Beau (uncredited)
- Martha Lee Sparks ... Katie (uncredited)
Janet Gaynor had won the first Academy Award for Best Actress in 1928 and Warner Baxter had won the second Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of the Cisco Kid in In Old Arizona by the time Daddy Long Legs was released.
Fox made a French and Italian dubbed version of the film; and, successfully sued a Dutch company, for making a film based on the same material.
- Quigley Publishing Company "The All Time Best Sellers", International Motion Picture Almanac 1937-38 (1938) p 942 accessed 19 April 2014
Other versions of the Jean Webster novel:
- Daddy-Long-Legs (1919 film) with Mary Pickford
- Curly Top (film), 1935 film with Shirley Temple based on the novel
- Daddy Long Legs (1938 film), Dutch film with Lily Bouwmeester
- Daddy Long Legs (1955 film) with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron
- My Daddy Long Legs (1990) Japanese anime TV series
- Daddy-Long-Legs (2005 film), Korean film