|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
|Years active||1984, 2010|
|Past members||Peter Murphy
Paul Vincent Lawford
Dalis Car was a musical group formed in 1984 by Peter Murphy (vocalist), Mick Karn (bassist, keyboardist, guitarist, saxophonist) and Paul Vincent Lawford (rhythm construction). The band was formed soon after Murphy and Karn left their former bands (Bauhaus and Japan, respectively). They took their name from a Captain Beefheart song from his album, Trout Mask Replica. Initially, they recorded one album, The Waking Hour (UK No. 84), and released one single, "The Judgement is the Mirror" (UK No. 66). The cover of the album features a detail from Maxfield Parrish's seminal painting Daybreak.
The recording of the album took place in unusual circumstances, as neither Karn nor Murphy spent much time together in the recording studio, preferring to send tapes back and forth between each other, to work on alone.
In August 2010, Peter Murphy announced on Twitter that he and Karn were planning to head into the studio in September to begin work on the second Dalis Car album. The project was cut short, however, as Karn had recently been diagnosed with cancer. He died on 4 January 2011, thus ending the reunion. The tracks they did record—including a re-working of Artemis from The Waking Hour with newly added vocals, guitar, and drums, and renamed Artemis Rise—were released on 5 April 2012 as an EP entitled InGladAloneness. The tracks were mixed by Steve Jansen, mastered by Pieter Snaper in Istanbul and the artwork for the EP was created by Murphy with Thomas Bak with a painting by Jaroslaw Kukowski. The Japanese version of the EP contains a memorial photo booklet with photos by Steve Jansen along with comments from fellow artists who have collaborated with Mick.
Artemis Rise was made available as a download through the Burning Shed MK Music store on Sunday 24 July, to commemorate what would have been Karn’s 53rd birthday. The song is an updated version of the song as it appeared on The Waking Hour, with added vocals by Murphy, drums by Jansen, and guitar by Jakszyk.
- "Dalis Car" - 5:12 (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "His Box" - 4:43 (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "Cornwall Stone" - 5:19 (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "Artemis" - 4:38 (music Mick Karn)
- "Create and Melt" - 5:37 (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "Moonlife" - 4:57 (music traditional, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "The Judgement Is the Mirror" - 4:38 (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- The Judgement Is The Mirror (music Mick Karn, lyrics Peter Murphy)
- High Places (music Mick Karn)
- Lifelong Moment (music Mick Karn)
- InGladAloneness (2012)
- "King Cloud" - 5:02 (Murphy/Karn; lyrics David Hornsby)
- "Soundcloud" - 4:26 (Murphy/Karn; lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "Artemis Rise" - 4:52 (Murphy/Karn; lyrics Peter Murphy)
- "Subhanallah" (traditional)
- "If You Go Away" (cover of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" by Jacques Brel)
Steve Jansen (drums), Jakko M. Jakszyk (nylon acoustic, electric guitars, and gu zheng), Theo Travis (saxophones and flute), Sengul (vocals on "Subhanallah"), Gill Morley (violin), Ellen Blair (violin and viola), Pete Lockett (percussion), Paul Lawford (congas), Steve D'Agostino (additional keyboards), Sengul (vocals on "Subhanallah").
- Peter Buckley, ed. (2003). "Dali's Car". The Rough Guide to Rock (3 ed.). Rough Guides. p. 264. ISBN 9781843531050. "...Mick Karn, ex-bassist with arty New Wave band Japan, and Peter Murphy, ex-vocalist with arty gothic punks Bauhaus. They took their name from a Captain Beefheart..."
- Meikle, James (2011) "Former Japan bass player Mick Karn loses battle with cancer", "The Guardian", 5 January 2011, retrieved 5 January 2011
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 138. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.