September 10, 1965 |
|Alma mater||Portland State University (1990)|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Tacoma CC (assistant)
Green River CC
Oregon State (assistant)
Oregon State (assoc.)
Texas Tech (assoc.)
New Mexico (assistant)
|Head coaching record|
131–67 (junior college)
Dan Spencer (born September 10, 1965) is a college baseball coach. He served as head coach at Green River Community College (1992–1996) and Texas Tech University (2009–2012). Currently, he serves as the pitching coach for the New Mexico Lobos.
Spencer coached at Oregon State for eleven seasons. During his last three years, he was the associate head coach and served as pitching/catching coach and recruiting coordinator. His final two seasons at Oregon State saw the Beavers become the first back-to-back College World Series Champions since LSU accomplished the feat in the late 1990s.
On July 2, 2007, Spencer was hired as the associate head coach at Texas Tech. In October 2008, Spencer was named the 2007 Collegiate Baseball Magazine National College Pitching Coach of the Year. On April 29, 2008, Texas Tech Athletic Director Gerald Myers designated Spencer to become the head coach of the team once former head coach Larry Hays retired. On June 13, 2008, it was formally announced that Spencer would succeed Larry Hays as head coach at Texas Tech after Hays had announced his retirement a few days earlier.
Head coaching record
|Green River Gators (Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges) (1992–1996)|
|Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2009–2012)|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- "Dan Spencer Named Head Baseball Coach at Texas Tech". KCBD-TV. 2008-06-08. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Spencer Named Head Coach Designate Of Texas Tech Baseball". Texas Tech Official Athletic Site. 2008-04-29. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Spencer, Petrie Named To Baseball Staff". Texas Tech Official Athletic Site. 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Dan Spencer Named Pitching Coach of the Year". Texas Tech Official Athletic Site. 2007-10-02. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Davis, Brian (2008-04-30). "Spencer to replace Hays as Texas Tech baseball coach". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Hays Steps Down As Head Baseball Coach At Texas Tech". CSTV. 2008-06-02. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Foley, Brian (4 July 2012). "New Mexico Hires Dan Spencer as Pitching Coach". CollegeBaseballDaily.com. CBD News Source. Archived from the original on 2012-07-04. Retrieved 4 July 2012.