|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
Chan in the 1991 concert
|Chinese name||陳百強 (traditional)|
|Pinyin||Chen2 Bai3 Qiang2 (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Chan4 baak3 keong4 (Cantonese)|
7 September 1958|
|Died||25 October 1993
|Other name(s)||Danny Boy (丹尼仔)|
|Occupation||Musician, singer-songwriter, record producer, actor|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, piano, keyboards|
Danny Chan Bak-keung (7 September 1958 – 25 October 1993) was a Hong Kong 1980s cantopop musician, singer, songwriter, and actor in Hong Kong. Chan was of the first generation of pop idols in Hong Kong. He was already an electronic organ player, a songwriter, an actor and a promising singer at the beginning of his career. He made a name for himself with his debut release, Tears For You, which established him as a teen idol. Ripple, Just Loving You and Yat sang ho kau (一生何求) are just some of the golden hits written and sung by Chan. He is mostly remembered for his Cantonese romance ballads and high quality compositions. Chan died in 1993 after being in a coma for 17 months.
Chan won third prize at the "HK Pop Song Composition Competition" in 1977. In that same year, he made his acting debut with Hong Kong Television Broadcasts (TVB) through a TV drama called Sweet Babe. In 1978, he won first prize at the "Hong Kong Yamaha Electone Festival". He held his first music concert in Hong Kong that same year. His first music album, entitled First Love, was released in 1979. The song , "Tears Dropping for You", from the album, became his well-known, most-played in radio stations (after the album release) , and most-welcomed song , especially for the HK community and fans , till now .
Chan subsequently signed a music contract with HK EMI, WEA, DMI, and finally moved back to Warner Music. He started singing Cantonese songs, which some of them are still popular nowadays like Ripples, Just Loving You and Yat Sang Ho Kao. The song, Tell Me What To Do, was sung with the co-operation with Crystal Gayle in 1984 . The song , Remembrance on Parents' Love (1981) (念親恩) , is popularly played on radio stations and frequent chose to be sung in karaoke nowadays, especially on Father's Day and Mother's Day .
In the 1980s , Chan was a host in a TV show "Bang Bang" in early 80s . His co-operation with Leslie Cheung and Paul Chung in films ,Encore (1980) and On Trial (1981), received lots of positive reception(s) from the public and media . He was also a main character in the film An Autumn's Tale in 1987 , as Vincent (Jennifer's ex-boyfriend) , with Chow Yun-fat (as Samuel Pang) and Cherie Chung (as Jennifer) .
Death and speculation
Chan suffered from mild depression, but worsened during late 80s , plus the 'blooming' of new competitive singers since middle 80s , causing him to feel unconfident and have less inspiration to compose new songs , which is sometimes shown in his songs sung during late 80s . Rumors of his on his alcoholism have not been verified . On 18 May 1992, Chan was found unconscious and he was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital in Hong Kong. Chan had suffered from advanced brain damage. It was speculated that this was due to an accidentally mixing of alcohol with medicine . During , lots of fake rumors started 'flying' but most were denied . He went into a coma and died on 25 October 1993 at the age of 35.
On 8 November 2005, the Hong Kong Post issued a set of special stamps featuring "Hong Kong Pop Singers". This stamp set focused on Hong Kong's popular singers, saluting five pop stars who have left their marks on Cantopop music history. Chan was featured on the HK$1.80 stamp.
A slow to medium tempo soundtrack by Danny Chan for the 1984 HK film "Merry Christmas" (聖誕快樂)
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- 1979, First Love (Side A) / Tears for You (眼淚為你流) (Side B)
- 1980, No More Tears (不再流淚)
- 1980, Dating with Danny (陳百強與你幾分鐘的約會)
- 1981, So Have You (有了你) / Sunflower (太陽花)
- 1982, "Danny Chan-Breakthrough Collections" (陳百強突破精選)
- 1982, King sou (傾訴)
- 1983, Just Loving You (偏偏喜歡你)
- 1984, Danny '84 (百強84)
- 1985, "Danny Chan-The Greatest Hits" (陳百強精選)
- 1985, Deeply in Love with You (深愛著你)
- 1986, When I Think of You (當我想起你)
- 1986, Gaze (凝望)
- 1987, Chi sam ngaan noi tsong (痴心眼內藏)
- 1987, Mung leui yaan (夢裡人)
- 1988, San sin ya yee man (神仙也移民)
- 1988, Mo sing sing yau sing (無聲勝有聲)
- 1988, Winter Warmth (冬暖)
- 1989, Life Expectations (一生何求)
- 1990, Wait for You (等待您)
- 1991, Love In L.A.
- 1991, Just Because I Love You (只因愛你)
- 1992, Dearest You (親愛的您)
A partial list of songs composed and sung by Chan:
- One in My Dreams
- I Just Love You
- Listening to Music with Wine
- My Story
- Shedding Tears For You
- Hoping for Destiny
- Warm (English song)
- Tell Me What Can I Do (Duet with Crystal Gayle)
- What You Desire In Life
- Break Out
- 1980, Encore (喝采)
- 1981, On Trial (失業生)
- 1984, Merry Christmas (聖誕快樂)
- 1986, My Family (八喜臨門)
- 1987, An Autumn's Tale (秋天的童話) aka Chou tin dik tong wah (Hong Kong: Cantonese title); aka Liumang daheng (流氓大亨) (Taiwan Mandarin title)
- 1977, Sweet Babe (produced by HK TVB)
- 1980, Take Turn (produced by HK TVB)
- 1980, Breakthrough (突破) (produced by HK TVB)
- 1977, Third Prize, "HK Pop Song Compose Competition"
- 1978, First Prize, "Hong Kong Yamaha Organ Competition"
- 1978, Third Prize, "HK Pop Song Compose Competition"
- 1983, Most Popular Singer Award, "AGB Listener's Choice"
- 1988, Third Prize, "Most Popular Male Singer Competition", Hong Kong Commercial Station
- 1989, Third Prize, "Most Popular Male Singer Competition", Hong Kong Commercial Station
- 1989, Third Prize, "Pop Music Most Popular Male Singer", Tokyo Music Festival
- 1991, "Top 10 Most Popular Singer" in Guangzhou, China
- 2009,"Golden Needle Award", Radio Television Hong Kong
- 1981, "Model Youth" from Wong Tai Sin District, Hong Kong
- 1984, "Most Charming Singer" from International Folk Song
- 1987, "Hong Kong Best Dressed Person", Hong Kong Commercial Station
- 1989, "Hong Kong Top 10 Friendly Person", Hong Kong Commercial Station
- The website (离不开，陈百强) created in Jan 2000, and welcome for all his loyal fans
- Current dannychan.org (离不开，陈百强) bbs is the former Dannyfans.com bbs
- Danny Chan in Memoriam[dead link]
- Danny Chan's Lyrics
- First Love... A Dedication to Danny Chan...
- Speech by Postmaster General at issue of "Hong Kong Pop Singers" special stamps
- Stamps to feature Hong Kong pop singers
- Danny Chan Group in Youtube - with over 390 videos of Danny