Michel in his studio in 2011
January 31, 1970 |
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada, Six Shooter, Cumbancha, Stonetree Records|
Michel began making solo records in the 1990s after being a member of many bands including the power-pop trio Starling. Soon afterward, he signed a deal with MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada in 2003 and released Tales from the Invisible Man. In 2004, he was nominated as 'New Artist of the Year at the Canadian Juno Awards. and later released Valhalla.
Skeptical of the future of music in a new digital age, Michel purchased the published of his entire catalogue back in 2008. Later that year he and independently released the album Feather, Fur & Fin. The title track quickly landed on the Playlist for the Planet released by the David Suzuki Foundation.
In 2010 Michel released Sunset Sea with Minniapolis producer Mark Stockert featuring a series of short videos that showed the process of writing, recording and producing the album.
In 2011 Michel relocated to Belize to record with one of his favorite bands The Garifuna Collective, a unique Afro-Amerindian cultural group to record the album Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me. The album landed him a Juno Award nomination in the world music category, and a sold out summer tour of North America with The Garifuna Collective as his band. In June 2013, the album was longlisted for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize and released world wide on world music label Cumbancha records.
The Ocean Academy Fund
In 2011, Michel created "The Ocean Academy Fund", helping raise scholarships for the Caye Caulker Community School, a small non-profit community high school in Belize. To date, he's raised over $70,000.00 for the school and volunteers there.
- Fibsville (1999)
- In the Belly of a Whale (2001)
- Tales from the Invisible Man (2003)
- Loving the Alien" (2004)
- Valhalla (2006)
- Welcome Home + Danny Michel and the Black Tornados Live DVD (2007)
- Feather, Fur & Fin (2008)
- Live in Winnipeg (2010)
- Sunset Sea (2010)
- Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me (2012)
- Eisner, Ken (October 5, 2011). "Danny Michel finds a cause and Sunset Sea in Belize". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Saxberg, Lynn (March 28, 2013). "Great album’s music doesn’t suffer despite stripped-back approach". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Artist summary: Danny Michel". JunoAwards.ca. Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Playlist for the Planet". davidsuzuki.org. David Suzuki Foundation. Retrieved April 4, 2013.