Michel performing in an NXNE showcase
31 January 1970 |
|Occupations||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada, Six Shooter, Cumbancha, Stonetree Records|
|Associated acts||David Suzuki Foundation|
Danny Michel (born 31 January 1970) is a multi-instrumentalist, singer-songwriter and producer from Kitchener–Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. His style has been compared to Paul Simon and Daniel Lanois.
Danny Michel was born in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario in 1970. He is a songwriter, self taught guitarist, multi instrumentalist, engineer and producer
In 2003, Michel signed a record deal with MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada. He released Tales from the Invisible Man in 2003. In 2004, he was nominated for New Artist of the Year at the Canadian Juno Awards. Later that year, Michel took a break from recording, but continued doing studio work, producing and playing guitar in Sarah Harmer's band.
In 2008, Michel independently released the album Feather, Fur & Fin. The title track was later included on a Playlist for the Planet released by the David Suzuki Foundation. Soon after he released a DVD entitled Welcome Home that was nominated for Music DVD of the Year at the 2008 Juno Awards.
Michel released Sunset Sea in 2010, along with a series of short clips that showed the process of writing, recording and producing the album, which he released through his YouTube account.
In 2011, Michel founded the Danny Michel Ocean Academy Fund to help raise scholarships for the Caye Caulker Community School, a small non-profit community high school in Belize. To date, he's raised over $55,000.00 for the school and volunteers there when he can.
In 2012, Michel traveled to Belize and recorded a new album, Black Birds Are Dancing over Me, with The Garifuna Collective, an Afro-Amerindian cultural group. It was released on Six Shooter Records in Canada, Cumbancha records in the United States, and Stonetree Records in Belize. In 2013 it was nominated for the Juno Award for World Music Album of the Year. In June 2013, the album was longlisted for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize.
- Clear (1998)
- Fibsville (1999)
- In the Belly of a Whale (2001)
- Tales from the Invisible Man (2003)
- Loving the Alien: Danny Michel Sings the Songs of David Bowie (2004)
- Valhalla (2006)
- Welcome Home (2007)
- Welcome Home + Danny Michel and the Black Tornados Live DVD (2007)
- Feather, Fur & Fin (2008)
- Live in Winnipeg (2010)
- Sunset Sea (2010)
- Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me (2012)
- Eisner, Ken (October 5, 2011). "Danny Michel finds a cause and Sunset Sea in Belize". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Saxberg, Lynn (March 28, 2013). "Great album’s music doesn’t suffer despite stripped-back approach". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Artist summary: Danny Michel". JunoAwards.ca. Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Playlist for the Planet". davidsuzuki.org. David Suzuki Foundation. Retrieved April 4, 2013.