31 January 1970 |
|Occupations||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada, Six Shooter, Cumbancha, Stonetree Records|
|Associated acts||David Suzuki Foundation|
Michel began making solo records in the 1990s after being a member of the power-pop trio Starling. Soon after he signed a deal with MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada in 2003 and released Tales From The Invisible Man. In 2004, he was nominated for Juno Award for 'New Artist of the Year at the Canadian Juno Awards. and later released "Valhalla" in 2006 Michel continued doing studio work, producing and spent some time playing guitar in Sarah Harmer's band.
In 2008, began self managing his career, purchased his entire catalogue back and independently released the album "Feather, Fur & Fin". The title track was later included on a Playlist for the Planet released by the David Suzuki Foundation. Soon after he released a DVD entitled ''Welcome Home'' that was nominated for Music DVD of the Year at the 2008 Juno Awards.
Michel released "Sunset Sea" in 2010 with Minniapolis producer Mark Stockert, along with a series of short videos that showed the process of writing, recording and producing the album.
In 2012, Michel traveled to Belize and recorded ''Black Birds Are Dancing over Me" with The Garifuna Collective, an Afro-Amerindian cultural group. It was released on Six Shooter Records in Canada, Cumbancha records in the United States, and Stonetree Records in Belize. In 2013 it was nominated for the Juno Award for World Music Album of the Year. In June 2013, the album was longlisted for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize.
In the spring of 2014 Danny created “School Night Mondays” with Davide Direnzo & Mark McIntyre at The Dakota Tavern in Toronto, ON, Canada. For 14 sold out weeks in a row a surprise guest would perform with the band, including Sarah Harmer, Jim Cuddy, Buck 65, Ed Robertson, Jian Ghomeshi, Col. Chris Hadfield, The Butcher’s Wife, Royal Wood, Starling, Andy Stochansky, The Satellites, Kobo Town, Quique Escamilla, Whitehorse, Oh Susanna, Joe Nolan
Danny is currently working on a new album
In 2011, Michel founded ""The Danny Michel Ocean Academy Fund"" to help raise scholarships for the Caye Caulker Community School, a small non-profit community high school in Belize. To date, he's raised over $65,000.00 for the school and volunteers there when he can.
- Fibsville (1999)
- In the Belly of a Whale (2001)
- Tales from the Invisible Man (2003)
- Loving the Alien" (2004)
- Valhalla (2006)
- Welcome Home + Danny Michel and the Black Tornados Live DVD (2007)
- Feather, Fur & Fin (2008)
- Live in Winnipeg (2010)
- Sunset Sea (2010)
- Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me (2012)
- Eisner, Ken (October 5, 2011). "Danny Michel finds a cause and Sunset Sea in Belize". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Saxberg, Lynn (March 28, 2013). "Great album’s music doesn’t suffer despite stripped-back approach". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Artist summary: Danny Michel". JunoAwards.ca. Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Playlist for the Planet". davidsuzuki.org. David Suzuki Foundation. Retrieved April 4, 2013.