Amerson in the 2014 NFL season.
|No. 39 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:||December 8, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Honolulu, Hawaii|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||194 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Greensboro (NC) Dudley|
|College:||North Carolina State|
|NFL draft:||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
David Amerson (born December 8, 1991) is an American football cornerback for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Redskins in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at NC State, where he was recognized as one of the top college defensive backs.
Amerson was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended James B. Dudley High School in Greensboro, North Carolina, and played for the Dudley Panthers high school football team. According to Rivals.com, he was a four-star college football recruit.
Amerson enrolled in North Carolina State University, where he played for the NC State Wolfpack football team from 2010 to 2012. As a true freshman in 2010, he started nine of 13 games and recorded 50 tackles. Through 11 games of his sophomore season in 2011, Amerson had 51 tackles and is leading the nation in interceptions with 13. The 13 interceptions beat Dré Bly's record for the most interceptions in a season in Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) history. Following the 2011 season, he received the Jack Tatum Trophy for the best college defensive back, first-team All-American honors from the Walter Camp Football Foundation and ESPN, and first-team All-ACC honors.
At the inaugural Belk Bowl held in Charlotte on December 27, 2011, Amerson broke the record for the most interceptions in a season by an Atlantic Coast Conference competitor. This record of 13 interceptions also led the Football Subdivision during the 2011 season. He finished the game with five tackles, two interceptions, and one touchdown.
2013 NFL Draft
The Washington Redskins selected Amerson in the second round, with the 51st overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft. He was the highest selected North Carolina State defensive back since Dewayne Washington in 1994.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1 in||205 lb||325⁄8 in||101⁄2 in||4.35 s||1.50 s||2.50 s||4.13 s||6.75 s||381⁄2 in||11 ft 0 in||15 reps|
|All value from NFL Combine.|
The Redskins officially signed him to a four-year contract on May 17, 2013. In the Week 4 win against the Oakland Raiders, Amerson got his first NFL interception and he returned it 45 yards for a touchdown. In a Week 9 victory against the San Diego Chargers, he recorded his second career interception.
- NCAA Division I-A Player Defense Statistics - 2011
- Observations: N.C. State vs. Clemson
- "N.C. State holds off Louisville in Belk Bowl". USA Today. December 28, 2011.
- Brooks, Bucky (April 29, 2012). "2013 NFL Draft: USC's Barkley, Woods among top 30 prospects". NFL News.
- Prisco, Pete (April 30, 2012). "Top 32 for 2013: Barkley headlines a class that already looks deep". CBS Sports.
- Schrager, Peter (May 1, 2012). "Schrager's 2013 mock draft". Fox Sports.
- "NFL Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved 2013-05-08
- Jones, Mike (May 17, 2013). "Redskins sign second-round cornerback David Amerson". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Tinsman, Brian (May 17, 2013). "Redskins Ink Top Pick David Amerson". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Wagaman, Michael (September 29, 2013). "Redskins rally behind stellar defense to top Raiders". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Czarda, Stephen (November 6, 2013). "David Amerson Saves Day Vs. Old Foe". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- Boyer, Zac (November 1, 2013). "Childhood friends David Amerson, Keenan Allen look forward to Sunday". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Amerson.|