David Wynn Miller
David Wynn Miller (born September 17, 1949), also styled :David-Wynn: Miller, is an American former tool and die welder and current activist in a tax protest group affiliated with the freedom movement. He is a proponent of the use of certain syntax he created to be used by people involved in legal proceedings. He refers to his syntax as QUANTUM-LANGUAGE-PARSE-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR which he asserts constitutes "correct sentence structure communication syntax." People seeking remedy with Miller's syntax in court apparently profit nothing from the change in style.
Miller's description of his work and views
Miller lived in Ohio before moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He describes himself as a "Plenipotentiary-Judge", an ambassador, banker, postmaster, King of Hawaii, and a genius with an IQ of 200.
Miller says that he is the innovator of what he calls the Mathematical Interface for Language or Quantum-Math-Communications and Language or Correct-Language. According to Miller, the language he pioneered could end war. Miller's design involves some sentences that begin with prepositional phrases, using the word For. His sentences have many more nouns than verbs. According to Miller, only nouns have legal authority. The language also has an abundance of punctuation. Miller explains:
FOR THE FORMS OF OUR PUNCTUATIONS ARE WITH THE CLAIM OF THE USE: FULL-COLON=POSITION-LODIO-FACTS, HYPHEN=COMPOUND-FACTS =KNOWN, PERIOD=END-THOUGHT, COMMA-PAUSE, AND LOCATION-TILDES WITH THE MEANINGS AND USES OF THE COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE FULL-COLON OF THE POSITION-LODIAL-FACT-PHRASE WITH THE FACT/KNOWN-TERM OF THE POSITIONAL-LODIO-FACT-PHRASE AND WITH THE VOID OF THE NOM-DE-GUERRE = DEAD-PERSON.
According to Miller, the addition of hyphens and colons identifies a person as a matter of fact, existing in the now-time-dimension. The names as written in this way are distinguished from the names listed at birth and in "all-caps" (as on a birth certificate), which identify the legal estate and not the living being in fact. In fact, signing up to get a "birth certificate" creates a taxable Person (Corporation) (e.g., DAVID WYNN MILLER as opposed to :David-Wynn: Miller.).”
Description by Miller's critics
The Los Angeles Times has characterized Miller's political views as "far-right". The Anti-Defamation League described Miller in an article on the Redemption movement: "This Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based sovereign citizen is one of the most unusual of the 'common law gurus' who travel the country holding seminars and offering legal advice. Miller has created his own unique version of English grammar, one that even many sovereign citizens find hard to understand or accept."  An article published by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2003 referred to Miller as a "Professional Conspiracist" and stated that Miller claimed that Bill Clinton and the entire Supreme Court of the United States were his students. The Southern Poverty Law Center listed a wide variety of conspiracy theories associated with Miller: sovereign citizen, linguistic alchemy, non-existent label, fiction.
Defendants have attempted to use Miller's language or ideas in courts of the United States and Canada. These attempts have been uniformly unsuccessful.
In June 1998 Prescott, Arizona, resident James McCreary filed a federal lawsuit after being arrested in February for aggravated assault and possession of drug paraphernalia. In his filing, "McCreary mentions the name of his apparent mentor. David Wynn Miller of Ohio is an advocate of the restoration of Constitutional rights through 'correct' language and procedure." McCreary's actions in court got his conviction reduced by the judge to three misdemeanors, and he was sentenced to three concurrent 60-day sentences in jail.
In August 2001, Paul and Myrna Schuck unsuccessfully used Miller's language during a tax-evasion trial in Calgary, Alberta. They were later sentenced to jail after claiming postage affixed to their clothing and signed by them made them legally equivalent to royalty.
In September 2002, Miller was profiled when Milwaukee-based accountant Steven Allen Magritz was jailed after engaging in what authorities called "paper terrorism", or filing large numbers of legal claims against perceived enemies, as part of the sovereign citizen anti-government movement. The article calls Miller "the movement's linguist" and outlines his belief that people don't need to pay taxes if they can "prove that money is a verb". Magritz was convicted in 2003 on seven counts of criminal slander of title and sentenced to five years in prison.
In December 2002, Wisconsin juries convicted Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, residents Janice K. Logan and Jason Zellmer (Miller's cousin) of "simulating legal process" by filing documents that purported to be legal documents from the jurisdiction of the "Unity States of the World," a concept originated by Miller. Zellmer had been previously convicted of resisting an officer. Miller testified at the trial. The defendants were found guilty. Miller remarked that the genesis of Truth-language was when he "turned Hawaii into a verb" and showed "how a preposition is needed to certify a noun."
In 2002 and 2003, Ed Dick stood trial in Vernon, British Columbia for unlawfully failing to provide income tax returns for the taxation years 1997 and 1998. Dick succeeded in having the style of cause amended to include his name with a colon, namely, Edward: Dick. Among other tactics, he challenged the jurisdiction of the court. Dick was found guilty.
In 2005, Montclair, New Jersey, resident Brenda Rickard was arrested and charged with orchestrating a $30 million mortgage scam: "Rickard, who claimed her name is :Brenda :Rickard, is a follower of :Judge: David-Wynn: Miller, who gives seminars around the country and advocates speaking in the 'true language,' which features odd punctuation and syntax. 'I have no problem with the complaint against me as long as it’s in the truthful language,' Rickard told the judge." Her lawyer requested a psychological evaluation following Rickard's behavior in court. Rickard and co-defendant Jamila Davis were convicted of conspiracy and six counts of bank fraud in 2008.
In 2006, Hemet, California, physician Jerome Mueller was jailed for tax evasion: "Part of a loose-knit group calling themselves 'freemen' and 'patriots,' Mueller is an adherent of 'truth language.' Developed by self-professed genius David Wynn Miller, of Milwaukee, truth language is based on mathematics and purports to be the only correct way of interpreting English. A major tenet, according to interviews with Miller published on the Internet, is that maritime law is the only worldwide governing authority because the Earth is a vessel in a sea of space. The U.S. government, however, contends in everyday English that Mueller owes income taxes back to 1993."
On 7 July 2008, La Crosse, Wisconsin, dentist Frederick G. Kriemelmeyer complained about his conviction for falsifying federal income tax returns. In the United States Court of Appeals, he asserted that he had not been permitted to use Miller as his counsel during the trial. The magistrate judge had refused to allow Miller to act as counsel because Miller was not licensed as an attorney. The Court of Appeals ruled that the magistrate judge's refusal was correct, and that Kriemelmeyer's argument that he was not subject to the tax laws was frivolous.
In 2008, Wai'anae, Hawaii, resident Rita Makekau was convicted of eight counts of assault and one count of domestic abuse for injuring five children in her care with hammers and knives. In 2009, Makekau challenged her child abuse conviction by claiming her sovereignty group, Hawaiian Kingdom Government, declared her innocent. Miller said he is the group's spokesperson and is a "plenipotentiary judge, ambassador and postmaster". Makekau was ordered to prison in 2009.
In 2010, David Kevin Lindsay asked Mr Justice Frits Verhoeven of the Supreme Court of British Columbia, who was acting as a court of appeal, to quash a conviction resulting from Lindsay's failure to file income tax returns for 1996 and thereafter. Lindsay, who presented himself as David-Kevin: Lindsay, argued that he was not a "person" as defined by Canada's Income Tax Act. He said he had ceased to be a person in 1996. The judge refused to let Lindsay opt out of personhood. The judge said the sentence of a $5000 fine would remain but jail time would be reduced to 30 days from the original 150.
In October 2012, Kosciusko County, Indiana, resident Paul A. Graber was sentenced on two counts of financial institution fraud to eight years in prison. He represented himself at the trial and read from a pre-written statement that repeatedly referenced Miller as "Judge Miller". Miller was called as a witness to the trial.
Jared Lee Loughner
Some reports published after the 2011 Tucson shooting included references to purported similarities between the writing of convicted gunman Jared Lee Loughner and Miller's writing method. Miller has stated that although he did not know Loughner, he agreed with Loughner's video postings on government mind control and grammar, but was appalled by Loughner's alleged actions. Miller has stated that the idea that his work could have inspired the mass shooting was "ridiculous", and "I expect he’s been on my website... He’s just repeating things I’ve had up on my site the past 11 years."
- Miller, David Wynn (2011). Quantum Language on YouTube, birth date stated at 15:50
- Hagan, Susan (14 October 2001). "Canadian tax dodgers confuse courts". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Jones, Meg (January 9, 2011). Milwaukee man's website mirrors suspect's conspiracy statements. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
- U.S. v. KRIEMELMEYER (W.D.Wis. 7-26-2007) 07-CR-052-C-01.
- QUANTUM-LANGUAGE by :David-Wynn: Miller video
- Duncan, Mark (June 23, 1998). McCreary files federal lawsuit. Prescott Daily Courier
- Miller, David Wynn. OVERVIEW-SITE via dwmlc.com
- Potok, Mark (Spring 2003). "'Full Colon Miller'". Intelligence Report. Southern Poverty Law Center. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- Miller, Mike (5 March 2004). "Parents want to take jailed, 'brainwashed' son home". The Capital Times. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Miller, David Wynn. HAWAII~23~MAR~09 via dwmlc.com
- Miller, Davis Wynn (September 2012). David Wynn Miller QUANTUM GRAMMAR SEMINAR SEPTEMBER 2012. on YouTube December 30, 2012
- Miller, David Wynn. :Communication-Methods via dwmlc.com
- Miller, David Wynn. Oath In the Truth via dwmlc.com
- "Screw the Taxman: The Weird Ideas of Tax Cheaters". DigitalJournal.com. 24 April 2006. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Quinones, Sam and Scott Kraft (January 10, 2011). Jared Loughner charged in Tucson shooting rampage. Los Angeles Times
- Anti-Defamation League (2005). Sovereign Citizen Movement. via adl.com
- Allen, Nick (January 10, 2011). Gabrielle Giffords shooting: Jared Loughner may have been influenced by occult. The Telegraph
- Staff report (August 14, 1998). Ally of molestation suspect a 'huckster,' historian says. Right-winger: militia watchdog web site mentions Milwaukeean. Waukegan News-Sun
- Staff report (June 11, 1999). Ingleside man deemed sexually dangerous. To prison: will be held until safe for release. Waukegan News-Sun
- Maller, Peter; Lynch-German, Lauria (September 3, 2002). 'Paper terrorism' gaining adherents. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
- Cole, Jeff (January 28, 2003). "Paper terrorist" gets five years in prison. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
- State of Wisconsin vs. Janice K Logan (Dane County Case Number 2002CF001110)
- State of Wisconsin vs. Jason Zellmer (Dane County Case Number 2002CF001112)
- Shepherd, Chuck (9 January 2003). "News of the Weird: The Truth won't set you free". Orlando Weekly. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- R. v. Dick  BCPC 0013
- Klein, Amy (June 30, 2005). New Jersey Woman Held in $30M Mortgage Scheme. The Record (Bergen County)
- Whelan, Jeff S. (July 16, 2008). Two women sentenced for defrauding banks of $14M. New Jersey On-Line
- Fetbrandt, Steve (August 9, 2006). Jailed surgeon stands ground. The Press-Enterprise (California)
- Nos. 07-3904, 07-3905 United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit
- Sugimoto, Minna (November 21, 2008). Woman who tortured, starved children gets 5-year prison term. KGMB
- Dooley, Jim (January 22, 2009) Child abuser sent to prison to await Hawaii sovereignty appeal. Honolulu Advertiser
- R. v. Lindsay 2010 BCSC 831
- Staff report (June 21, 2010). B.C. man claims he isn't a person, so shouldn't have to pay tax. Vancouver Sun
- Page, Stacey (November 29, 2012). Amish Man Sentenced For Fraud. Stacey page Online
- Johnson, Kirk; Kovaleski, Serge F.; Frosch, Dan; Lipton, Eric (January 9, 2011). Suspect’s Odd Behavior Caused Growing Alarm. New York Times
- Brown, Carrie Budoff (January 9, 2011). Jared Lee Loughner's statements tied to conspiracy theory. Politico.com
- Walker, Peter (January 10, 2010). Gabrielle Giffords shooting: Gunman linked to grammar 'judge.' The Guardian
- Jared Lee Loughner's Mental State Newsweek, January 10, 2011
- :David-Wynn: Miller Quantum and Syntax Language Truth Seekers (Personal site)
- :Judge: David-Wynn: Miller (Personal site)
- Dr. Fred Bell radio interview with David Wynn Miller on YouTube
- QUANTUM-LANGUAGE (of law) by :David-Wynn: Miller (77-minute video)