|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Type||For-profit Educational Institution|
|Location||Nashville, Tennessee, USA|
Daymar Institute, formerly Draughons Junior College, is a post-secondary education institution. Authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Daymar Institute is owned and operated by Daymar Colleges Group of Owensboro, Kentucky. Daymar Institute is a senior college accredited by the nationally recognized Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to award certificates, diplomas and academic associate and bachelor degrees. Daymar Institute is also Title IV eligible in accordance with the Higher Education Act.
Originally called Draughons Practical Business College and changing its name in 2010, Daymar Institute was founded in 1879 by Professor John F. Draughon of Adams, Tennessee. The first permanent school was established in Nashville, Tennessee around the beginning of the 1900s. The school prospered, and by the time of Draughon's death in 1921, it was a chain of business colleges stretching across the south and western parts of the United States. In 1954, Daymar Institute had earned accreditation by the Accrediting Commission for Business Schools.
Starting in 1978, Daymar Institute was an accredited junior college of business. After more than 100 years in business, Daymar Institute built a new facility on Plus Park Boulevard in 1980. During the summer of 1987, Daymar Institute expanded with a branch campus in Clarksville, Tennessee. Daymar Institute expanded to a second branch campus during the summer of 2003 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Mission and Purpose
"We change lives...One person at a time."
Daymar Institute’s vision is to provide a warm, friendly, nurturing atmosphere where students can learn the skills required, to obtain the careers they need, to have the lives they want.
To accomplish that vision, Daymar Institute developed five objectives:
- To provide the necessary skills, knowledge and theories in programs of study, which allow successful students to enter chosen career fields after graduation;
- To develop competence in oral and written communication skills;
- To develop competence in computational skills, mathematical theory and analysis, and specialized mathematics relating to the allied health, business and technical fields;
- To provide basic computer literacy and advanced computer skills in the College's specific programs of study;
- To develop a general knowledge and appreciation for the complex society in which the student lives through a basic study of social and behavioral sciences.
Daymar Institute has three campuses in Tennessee:
Daymar Institute – Clarksville: 1860 Wilma Rudolph Blvd., Clarksville, TN, 37040
Daymar Institute – Murfreesboro: 415 Golden Bear Court, Murfreesboro, TN, 37128
Daymar Institute – Nashville: 340 Plus Park Blvd., Nashville, TN, 37217
Daymar Institute offers both one- and two-year programs, as well as bachelor degree programs:
- Billing and Coding Specialist
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Criminal Justice
- Dental Assisting
- Health Insurance Specialist
- Human Resource Management *New Program
- Medical Massage Therapy
- Medical Assisting – Administrative Track
- Medical Assisting – Clinical Track
- Network Support Administration
- Paralegal Studies
- Personal Fitness Training
- Pharmacy Technology
- Physical Therapist Assistant*New Program
- Website Design
- Bachelor of Applied Science – Business Administration
- Bachelor of Applied Science – Business Management
- Bachelor of Applied Science – Criminal Justice Administration
- Bachelor of Applied Science – Health Care Administration