|Studio album by Lordi|
|Released||23 October 2008
(See release history)
|Recorded||7 May - June 2008 at Sonic Pump Studios, Finnvox|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal, shock rock|
|Label||Sony Music (Worldwide)
The End (Canada, U.S.)
|Singles from Deadache|
Deadache is the fourth studio album by the Finnish hard rock band Lordi, released in Finland on 29 October 2008. For the release of the album the band renewed their monster outfits. Deadache was released during the same week in about thirty countries. The official album release party was held at the Tavastia Club in Helsinki on 31 October 2008 (Hallowe'en).
The first single from the album, "Bite It Like a Bulldog", was released on 3 September 2008. By November 2008, Deadache had sold 1,700 copies in the United States.
|1.||"SCG IV"||Mr. Lordi||Mr. Lordi||0:42|
|2.||"Girls Go Chopping"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||4:02|
|3.||"Bite It Like a Bulldog"||Mr. Lordi||Mr. Lordi, OX||3:29|
|4.||"Monsters Keep Me Company"||Mr. Lordi||Mr. Lordi, Kita, Amen||5:28|
|5.||"Man Skin Boots"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||3:42|
|6.||"Dr. Sin Is In"||Mr. Lordi||Kita, Amen||3:37|
|7.||"The Ghosts of the Heceta Head"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi, Amen||3:48|
|8.||"Evilyn"||Mr. Lordi||Mr. Lordi||4:00|
|9.||"The Rebirth of the Countess"||Mr. Lordi, Awa||Awa||1:59|
|10.||"Raise Hell in Heaven"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||3:32|
|11.||"Deadache"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||3:28|
|12.||"The Devil Hides Behind Her Smile"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||4:12|
|13.||"Missing Miss Charlene"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi, PK Hell||5:10|
There are five different versions of the album, four of which have different bonus tracks. Each version was released by a different record company, hence the differing tracks.
|14.||"Dead Bugs Bite"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Mr. Lordi||3:48|
|14.||"Hate At First Sight"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Amen, Kita||3:33|
|14.||"The House"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Neumann||4:15|
|14.||"Where's The Dragon"||Mr. Lordi, Lipp||Kita, OX, Lipp||3:01|
|15.||"Beast Loose In Paradise"||Mr. Lordi||Mr. Lordi||3:10|
"The House" on the Finnish version of the album is a cover of a song originally by the Finnish rock band Dingo. The lyrics are written by Mr. Lordi.
Japanese bonus DVD
A bonus DVD version of Deadache was released in Japan and includes the following music videos:
- "Would You Love a Monsterman?" (2002)
- "Devil Is a Loser" (2003)
- "Blood Red Sandman" (2004)
- "Hard Rock Hallelujah" (2006)
- "Who's Your Daddy?" (2006)
- "Would You Love a Monsterman 2006" (2006)
- "It Snows in Hell" (2006)
- "Bite It Like a Bulldog" (2008)
Lordi started the recording of Deadache on 7 May 2008. For the album, the group had sixty demos to choose from; fourteen of them were chosen by the band and record company to be recorded. All members of the group contributed songs to the album.
Band members Kita and Amen said the following about the Deadache:
[Kita] "It's an old title. We had that song back in the '90s already, a song called 'Deadache', and our singer, Mr. Lordi, thought that he made that up, that whole word. Like, headache and deadache, but he heard it actually means something." [Mr. Amen] "It actually, the title, it means something. Actually we had sixty songs to choose from and we picked out fifteen songs. We didn't think any (musical) directions or anything, we just did what we have." [Kita] "Usually we don't think (laughs)" [Amen] "We do what feels good with it."
Deadache is a melodic hard rock album, but has a heavier sound and includes more horror-themes than Lordi's previous albums. The album has more keyboard parts than The Arockalypse, and the song "The Rebirth Of The Countess", composed by the keyboard player Awa, includes a spoken part in French. "Missing Miss Charlene" includes singing by a children's choir, with the outro being already recorded in 1986 by a 12-year old Mr. Lordi and some of his friends from his hometown of Rovaniemi.
The organ in the intro and between the verses in the song "The Devil Hides Behind Her Smile" is taken from "The Phantom of the Opera".
|Austria Albums Chart||51|
|Finland Albums Chart||5|
|Sweden Albums Chart||42|
|Switzerland Albums Chart||73|
|German Albums Chart||33|
|UK Rock Albums Chart||38|
|US Top Heatseekers Chart||13|
|European Top 100 Albums||71|
|Top Heatseekers (Northeast)||6|
|Biboard Top Independent Albums||37|
|Germany||24 October 2008|
|United Kingdom||27 October 2008|
|Worldwide on iTunes|
|United States||October 28, 2008|
|Japan||29 October 2008|
MySpace pre-listening session
On 20 October 2008, Lordi announced that they would be adding a new track from Deadache to their MySpace page every day until Friday 24 October, the first release date of the album (in Germany).
The songs released on each day were as follows:
- Monday (20 October) - "Man Skin Boots" - 3:42
- Tuesday (21 October) - "Evilyn" - 4:00
- Wednesday (22 October) - "Dr. Sin Is In" - 3:47
No tracks were added on Thursday or Friday; it is unclear why.
- Mr. Lordi - lead vocals
- Amen - electric guitar
- Kita - drums, backing vocals and arrangements
- OX - bass guitar
- Awa - keyboards
- Bulldog breathing in "Bite It Like A Bulldog" by Frida
- The walk in "Man Skin Boots" by Johanna Askola-Putaansuu
- Translation and speech on "The Rebirth Of The Countess" by Sandra Mittica
- Children's choir: Shoemaker's Kids Quire
- "Missing Miss Charlene"'s outro performed by The Bulldox: Dee Oxkiller (Mr. Lordi), P.K. Hell and Eric Schäfer, recorded in 1986
- "MonsterDiscoHell" (in Finnish). Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Official Lordi Website". Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Suomen virallinen lista - Albumit". YLE. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- "Sveriges Topplistan - Albumit". Sveriges Topplistan. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- "Radio 1 Chart Show". BBC. 2008-11-02. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- "Top Heatseekers Chart". Billboard.com. 2008-11-15. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- LORDI Interviewed In San Antonio; Video Available - Blabbermouth.net - Retrieved November 15, 2008