|Birth name||Sampsa Astala|
|Also known as||Kita, Stala|
|Born||January 23, 1974|
|Genres||Hard rock, heavy metal, power metal, glam rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
|Labels||Sony BMG, So Music Finland Inc.|
|Associated acts||Lordi, Stala & SO.|
Sampsa Astala, (born January 23, 1974 in Vantaa, Finland), known by stage names Stala and Kita, is the lead singer of the Finnish glam rock band Stala & SO. and the former and original drummer for the metal band Lordi.
His current stage name, Stala, comes from his own surname, Astala. His another stage name, that he used in his time in Lordi and still when appearing as drummer, Kita, comes from the Finnish word meaning "jaws", "gap", or "maw".
Sampsa Astala created Stala & SO. as SO, back in 1997. The band recorded a few albums and toured in Finland but Astala didn't have much time for SO. anymore since he joined Lordi in 2000 as drummer. He arranged and performed all backing vocals on the Lordi albums, but could not sing live due to his massive mask. With the band Lordi he went on to win the 2006 Eurovision Song Contest. In recognition, the city of Karkkila, where he spent his teenage years, named its youth facilities after him. Despite many critics wrongly accusing Lordi of being a satanic band, on the "Thank you to..." list on the Lordi albums, Kita thanks "Almighty God."
On October 4, 2010, there was an announcement from Lordi, saying that Kita no longer was a member. Further explanation told that his leaving was a joint decision between him and his bandmates, as Kita's increasing exposure as himself with Stala & So., rather than in costume as Kita, was "breaking the rules" of Lordi.
In end of 2010 t was announced that Stala & SO. would participate in Eurovision Song Contest 2011. On 23 November, the first promosingle of the new album was released, "Everything For Money". On 29 November, "Pamela", the song with which he would play in Eurovision stage was revealed through the YLE channel. On 28 January, they passed the semi final and they got "the card" for the final in 12 February. On February 16, their debut album, "It Is So.", was released.
Lordi character's fictional background
Kita is a manbeast from an ancient alien race. Originally a brutal battle beast from the Mu Arae star system used in combat, he was sent to Earth for an unknown purpose.
It is not known if Kita is actually the name of the whole race or the individual. It is rumored that Earth's Yeti stories originate from sightings of members from Kita's race sent to Earth, which may link them to the Mi-Go of the Cthulhu Mythos.
Stala & SO.
- It Is So. (2011)
- Gimme Five (2012)
- Play Another Round (2013)
- Get Heavy (2002)
- The Monsterican Dream (2004)
- The Arockalypse (2006)
- Deadache (2008)
- Babez For Breakfast (2010)
- Apulanta: Hiekka (2002) (backing vocals)
- Järjestyshäiriö: Levoton (EP) (2004) (producer, recorder, backing vocals)
- Hanna Pakarinen: Lovers (2007) (backing vocals)
- Pete Parkkonen : First Album (2009) (song writing)
- Naked Idol: Boys Of Summer (2013) (drums)
- Naked Idol: Shattered (2013) (drums)
- Naked Idol: Filthy Fairies EP (2013) (drums on Shattered & Filthy Fairies)
- Ahlroth, Jussi (2006). Mie oon Lordi. Juva: Johnny Kniga. ISBN 951-0-32584-8.
- "Karkkilan kaupunki juhlisti euroviisuvoittajaa - Nuorisotilasta Kita". City of Karkkila. 2006-06-22. Archived from the original on 2007-05-05. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "Lordi - The official website". Lordi. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
|Awards and achievements|
with "My Number One"
|Winner of the Eurovision Song Contest
(as par of Lordi)
|Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest
(as par of Lordi)
with "Leave Me Alone"