Delaware State University shooting
|Delaware State University shooting|
|Location||Dover, Delaware, United States|
|Date||September 21, 2007 (UTC-4)|
|Perpetrator||Loyer D. Braden|
Shalita Middleton, a victim of the shooting, died 32 days later on October 23, from critical injuries sustained from the attack.
On September 24, 2007, police arrested Loyer D. Braden, a Delaware State freshman, in his dorm and charged him with attempted first-degree murder.
I question the young man's intelligence in coming back to campus this morning, if that's what he did. Lord knows what was going through his brain. Maybe he thought he was scott-free.
On September 28, 2007, following Braden's arraignment hearing, the case was transferred to Superior Court for trial. The judge ordered that if Braden makes bail, he would be barred from visiting the DESU campus or contacting potential witnesses.
The university responded within 20 minutes of the shooting to notify students by web announcements, physically entering dorms, and telecommunications. Text messages were not sent at the time of the incident. The campus was kept on "limited access status" from Friday, September 21 through Sunday, September 23, with classes resuming on Monday, September 24. The University has increased security patrols on campus following the incident.
- Victim in Delaware State University Shooting Dies of Injuries
- Susan Kinzie (2007-09-25 p. B1). "Freshman Charged In Shooting Two At Delaware State". Washington Post.
- http://www.desu.edu/advancement/pr/press_release.php?article_id=298 Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- Washington Post "Student Shoots Two at Delaware State University"
- Associated Press (2007-09-21). "2 Students Shot at Delaware State". Associated Press. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- http://www.desu.edu/advancement/pr/press_release.php?article_id=297 Arrest Press Release
|Wikinews has related news: Two students shot at Delaware State University|
- Delaware State Official web site