"Desafinado", a Portuguese word (usually rendered into English as "Out of Tune", or as "Off Key"), is the title of a bossa nova song composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim with lyrics (in Portuguese) by Newton Mendonça. The English language lyrics were written by Jon Hendricks and "Jessie Cavanaugh" (a pseudonym used by The Richmond Organisation). Another English lyric, more closely based on the original Portuguese lyric (but not a translation) was written by Gene Lees, and appears on some recordings as well. The version by Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd (from the album Jazz Samba) was a major hit in 1962, reaching 15 and 4 on Billboard's pop and easy-listening charts, respectively; their definitive rendering also reached No 11 in the UK, whilst Ella Fitzgerald's version made No 38. The song was voted by the Brazilian edition of Rolling Stone as the 14th greatest Brazilian song.
- João Gilberto - Chega de Saudade (1959)
- Herb Alpert - The Lonely Bull (1962)
- Doris Day [Latin for Lovers] 1965
- Coleman Hawkins - Desafinado (1962) Prestige Records)
- Herbie Mann - Right Now (1962)
- João Gilberto, Stan Getz and Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz/Gilberto (1963)
- Julie London - The End of the World (1963) Liberty Records LRP-3300
- Clare Fischer - So Danço Samba (1964) World Pacific Records WP-1830, ST-1830
- Abi Zeider - Abi Zeider (1966) Melodya Д-18285-6
- Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim - The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings (1995) (recorded 1969)
- Jula de Palma - Jula al Sistina (1970)
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Abraça Jobim (1981)
- Nina Persson - at MTV Classic 90s (1996)
- George Michael, Astrud Gilberto - Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (1998)
- Kenny G - Classics in the Key of G (1999)
- Gal Costa - Gal Costa Canta Tom Jobim Ao Vivo (1999)
- João Gilberto - João Voz e Violão (2000)
- Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum - Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum (2000)
- Paquito D'Rivera and New York Voices - Brazilian Dreams (2002)
- Lisa Hannigan and Damien Rice - for the film Goldfish Memory (2003)
- Toquinho - Tributo a Bossa Nova (2005)
- Seth MacFarlane (as Brian Griffin) - Family Guy: Live in Vegas (2005)
- Ana Belén, Pastora Soler, Lucrecia, Lolita Flores, Carmen Paris - Samba Pa Ti (Un Tributo A Brasil) (2006)
- Royce Campbell - "A Tribute To Charlie Byrd."
- "Hits from early December 1962". Everyhit.com.
- Duarte, Alexandre (2009). "As 100 Maiores Músicas Brasileiras - "Desafinado"". Rolling Stone Brasil (in Portuguese). Spring. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
|This jazz composition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|