|Edited by||B. Lenin|
|Distributed by||Dinny Films|
Desatanakkili Karayarilla (English: The Migratory Bird Never Cries) is a 1986 Malayalam film written and directed by Padmarajan. It stars Mohanlal, Karthika, Shaari and Urvashi in pivotal roles. The film tells the story of two school girls who eloped while on a school trip. It was critically well acclaimed, being one of the first Indian films that talked about womance.
The film is about the inexplicable love between two girls, Sally and the meek and tradition-bound Nirmala. At school they were punished by their teacher Devika, so the two girls run away during a school trip in order to punish their teacher Devika, as a revenge who organised the trip
Their journey is soon interrupted by a man, Harisankar, who mysteriously befriends the girls, while Nirmala starts to develop romantic feelings for Harisankar. Sally strongly objects to this relationship and warns her friend against the suspicious nature of the man. Nirmala, who was almost convinced to leave everything behind to be with the man she loves, gets a shock when she finds out that the man was actually in love with the teacher whom she despised and ran away from.
Unable to find a way out of the misery that befalls them, Sally and Nirmala cling on to each other and commit suicide.
Being first of its kind the movie is a humble attempt of the maker to bring out the shades of a complicated relationship between two school girls. The film in a way is their exploration into a world of freedom and independence. The maker of the film wants to tell us that the girls like Sally and Nirmala, because of their yet to form concepts of a life and because of their concern for each other are seen as threats to the conventional society. In a society like this they have no role to play and nobody understands their views and the kind of affection they have for each other. So they have no way but to end their life. Though in the movie there is only a few incidents that we can associate with the lesbianism of the characters, we can still assume that there existed a strong amount of something of that sort at least that is in the case of Sally if not in the case of Nirmala. Yet the same can also be seen in the light of a deep friendship between two students of the same sex.
|1||Poo veno poo||KS Chithra||ONV Kurup|
|2||Vaanampaadi etho||K. J. Yesudas||ONV Kurup|
- The Film was distributed by Dinny Films.
- Though the film is not structured as a thriller, the mystery element in most of the story was highly acclaimed. It garnered very positive reviews from viewers as well as critics. Especially the introduction scene of Harishankar, where the character brings in a clear feeling of distrust for Sally and a very clear romantic feeling for Nirmala is notable for the air of mystery around Harishankar. Through the narrative, Padmarajan brings in a connection between Devika and Harishankar which eventually lead to the suicide of the girls. The feeling Sally has for Nirmala is also described beautifully. The willful and disobedient Sally was ready to bend her decisions and views only for Nirmala. Though Nirmala decided to go back against her wishes, Sally never left Nirmala's side and was ready to be with her for ever.
- "List of Malayalam films released during the year 1986". prd: PRD, Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Desatanakkili Karayarilla". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Deshadanakkili Karayaarilla". www.malayalachalachithram.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Deshadanakkili Karayaarilla". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Deshadanakkili Karayaarilla". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.