|Type||Sociedad Limitada Unipersonal (S.L.U.)|
|Founded||Ibiza, Spain (1984)|
|Revenue||560 million € (2011)|
Desigual (Spanish: [desiˈɣwal]; Catalan: [dəziˈɣwaɫ]) is a casual clothing brand based in Barcelona, Spain, which is noted for its patchwork designs, intense prints, innovative graffiti art and flamboyant splashes of colour. Founded in 1984 by Thomas Meyer, from Switzerland, the company has been led by Manel Adell since 2002, until 2013. Desigual sells men's, women's, children's clothing, accessories and women's shoes. It achieved a 60% annual growth from 2002 to 2009, and a turnover of €250 million in 2009, €440 million in 2010 and €560 million in 2011. In 2011 it employed 2,900 people of 72 nationalities.
Concepts, partners and promotions
Desigual claims to have a philosophy based on positivity, tolerance, commitment and fun. Each season the Desigual design team, comprising 25 designers, prepares a collection of over 1,000 items, including clothes and accessories, built around a unified concept.
Some of the concepts used by the company are Real Life, Magic Stories, Luxury Feelings, Me&You, Better&Better, Wow, Life is Cool, All Together and Handmade.
In 2011 the company started collaborating with the French designer Christian Lacroix. In June 2011 Desigual signed a worldwide partnership with Cirque du Soleil to develop a clothing collection named Desigual inspired by Cirque du Soleil including 60 items of clothing and accessories. The clothing will be made available at Desigual stores as well as Cirque du Soleil show boutiques.
In January 2011 Desigual launched a campaign in Spain and Portugal by promising shoppers "Come in undressed and go out dressed". At the Madrid store some 200 people queued outside ready to strip down to their underwear to take advantage of the shop's winter sale offer. The same campaign was repeated in June 2011 in London, Berlin, Stockholm, Madrid, Prague and New York City.
Desigual shops are located in Andorra, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, Estonia, the Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon,Latvia, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Saint Martin, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela.
- "Desigual Continues Worldwide Rollout". Sportswear International Magazine. 25 February 2008. Retrieved 30 March 2010.
- Desigual: the new Spanish phenomenon
- kargergallery.com, Desigual – Barcelona Spain
- "Desigual gets designer cred". Ahlan! Live.com. Retrieved 30 March 2010.
- Manel Adell parts ways with Desigual
- ESADE, Matins ESADE with Manel Adell, CEO and partner of Desigual
- "Cirque du Soleil and Desigual Sign a Worldwide Partnership". 1 June 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- ghananation.com, 16/06/2011, Desigual gives away clothes to 100 who queued in their underwear
- telegraph.co.uk, Christian Lacroix designs for Desigual
- dailymail.co.uk, 3 January 2011, Bums' rush! Spanish and Portuguese shoppers arrive at Desigual outlets in their underwear... to be clothed for free
- Store finder
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Desigual.|