Roman Catholic Diocese of London, Ontario
|Diocese of London, Ontario
The Coat of Arms of the Roman Catholic Diocese of London, Ontario
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Toronto|
|Area||21,349 km2 (8,243 sq mi)
The territory comprises the following counties of Ontario: Middlesex, Elgin, Norfolk, Perth, Huron, Lambton, Kent, & Essex.
|Rite||Latin Rite (or Roman)|
|Established||February 21, 1856|
|Cathedral||St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica|
|Patron saint||The Immaculate Conception
& St. Patrick
|Bishop||Ronald Peter Fabbro|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Thomas Christopher Collins|
|Emeritus Bishops||John Michael Sherlock|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of London (Latin: Dioecesis Londonensis) was created out of the Diocese of Toronto, along with the Diocese of Hamilton, Ontario, by Pope Pius IX on February 21, 1856. Pierre-Adolphe Pinsonnault was named the first Bishop of London on May 18 of that year. In 1859, Bishop Pinsoneault moved the seat of the diocese to Sandwich, on the Detroit River; the diocese was transferred back to London in November 1869, under Bishop John Walsh.
The present Cathedral of the Diocese, St. Peter's, was built in a French Gothic Revival style from 1880 to 1885. It was raised to the status of a minor basilica by Pope John XXIII in December, 1961. The Diocese also runs St. Peter's Seminary, which is now affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. The Diocese covers the counties of Middlesex, Elgin, Norfolk, Oxford, Perth, Huron, Lambton, Kent, and Essex.
Bishops of London
- Bishop Pierre-Adolphe Pinsonnault (May 13, 1856 - December 18, 1866)
- Bishop John Walsh (November 10, 1867 - July 25, 1889)
- Bishop Denis O'Connor, C.S.B. (October 19, 1890 – 1899)
- Bishop Fergus Patrick McEvay (August 6, 1899 - April 13, 1908)
- Bishop Michael Francis Fallon, O.M.I. (April 25, 1910 - February 22, 1931)
- Bishop Thomas Kidd (July 3, 1931 - June 2, 1950)
- Bishop John Christopher Cody (June 2, 1950 – December 5, 1963)
- Bishop Gerald Emmett Carter (February 17, 1964 - April 29, 1978) (Latterly Cardinal Archbishop of Toronto)
- Bishop John Michael Sherlock (July 8, 1978 - April 27, 2002)
- Bishop Ronald Peter Fabbro, C.S.B. (August 15, 2002 - Present)
- Ecclesiastical Province of Toronto
- St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica
- St. Peter's Seminary
- Our Lady of the Assumption
- "Diocese of London". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- "London (Ontario)". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.