|Dominick A. Flora|
|College||Washington & Lee|
December 12, 1935 |
Jersey City, New Jersey
|High school||William L. Dickinson
Jersey City, New Jersey
Dominick A. "Dom" Flora (born June 12, 1935) is a former American college basketball standout at Washington & Lee University (W&L), located in Lexington, Virginia. Flora played for the W&L Generals from 1954–55 to 1957–58. Dom Flora was a native of Jersey City, New Jersey and played high school basketball for William L. Dickinson High School.
A point guard, Flora was an explosive scorer whose accurate jump shot and crisp ball-handling ability helped him average 21 points per game for his career. He was able to score despite being double– and triple–teamed by opposing defenses, and his aggressive style of play led him to become one of the most prolific free throw shooters in NCAA Division I history. As of the conclusion of the 2011–12 season, Flora's 696 free throws made are still in the top 25 all-time in Division I history. He shot 696-for-954 (73.0%) in 109 career games played. As a senior in 1957–58, Flora was named the Southern Conference Player of the Year, the Virginia Big Six Player of the Year, and a First Team All-America selection by the Helms Foundation. He also earned his second straight First Team All-Southern Conference selection. When his career ended, Flora finished with 2,310 points, which at the time was the fifth–highest total in NCAA history. He also played baseball all four years while at W&L.
Bill Brill, a sports writer for The Roanoke Times & World News, once wrote about Flora:
"Flora left the fans gasping with one bit of razzle-dazzle, on which he dribbled with his left hand, jumped into the air, switched the ball behind his back to his right hand, and made a jump shot. It was worth the price of admission."
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball career free throw scoring leaders
- Jay Handlan – a former Washington and Lee basketball standout from 1948 to 1952
- "Jersey City's Bob Hurley Elected to Hoop Hall of Fame". Bob Hurley Hall of Fame Issue (Printable Edition). Volume 23, No. 2. Jedsey Journal. April 2010. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Dominick A. (Dom) Flora '58". Washington and Lee University. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Visiting W&L". Washington and Lee University. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "2009–10 NCAA Men's Basketball Records" (PDF). 2009–10 NCAA Men's Basketball Media Guide. National Collegiate Athletic Association. 2009. Retrieved 2 June 2010.