|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||23|
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sharp Entertainment|
|Original channel||National Geographic Channel|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||February 7, 2012– present|
Doomsday Preppers is an American reality television series that airs on the National Geographic Channel. Dräger Equipment, Wise Food Storage Company and the United States Gold Bureau are sponsors of the show.
The program profiles various survivalists, or "preppers," preparing for the end of civilization. The series interviews people who are preparing to survive the various circumstances through which life as we know it might come to an end, including economic collapse, societal collapse, electromagnetic pulse, terrorist acts, nuclear incidents, fuel shortages, war, pandemics, geomagnetic reversal, etc. The interviews detail the actions that the preppers have taken, and end with an expert analysis and recommendations for improvements. Casting for the first season began September 2011. Casting for a second season began April 2012. The series' third season premiered on October 29, 2013.
Doomsday Preppers has received varied reviews. Neil Genzlinger in The New York Times condemned it as an "absurd excess on display and at what an easy target the prepper worldview is for ridicule," noting, "how offensively anti-life these shows are, full of contempt for humankind." Nevertheless, "The program has been a ratings bonanza, with a 60-percent male audience, with an average age of 44." "Doomsday Preppers is the network's most-watched series". Brooklyn Bagwell, casting director for the second season, claimed "It’s the highest-rated show" in the history of the National Geographic Channel.
In response to negative comments, one prepper responded: "We don’t make it an obsession like some folks but we do spend a fair amount of time and money on it. ...you can’t always rely on the government or society to help you. The more people that are prepping minded, the better off we’ll all do."
Season 1 (2012)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|0||0||"Pilot"||June 27, 2011||N/A|
Dennis McClung and family show their backyard food production system known as the Garden Pool; Lisa Bedford (The Survival Mom) takes urban preparation to a new level in preparing for a financial collapse; The Kobler and Hunt families combine forces in order to ensure food production through an economic collapse.
|1||1||"Bullets, Lots of Bullets"||February 7, 2012||1.296|
Paul Range and friends prepare for a polar shift; In California, Christopher Nyerges demonstrates urban jungle survival skills to be used in the event of a massive earthquake; Deep in the heart of Houston, Texas, Megan Hurwitt hopes to survive on her own and escape to Mexico after the Middle East suddenly cuts off its oil exports.
|2||2||"I Hope I Am Crazy"||February 7, 2012||1.214|
David Sarti, a Youtube "firearms instructor" and self-taught survivalist, is prepared for an electrical grid failure; Kellene Bishop of Utah has stocked only the finest gourmet survival foods in preparation for financial collapse; Kathy Harrison, "the Doris Day of Doom", has prepared her local community for a New Madrid earthquake; Dennis Evers brings the family together to survive global chaos caused by hyperinflation.
|3||3||"Back to the Stone Age"||February 14, 2012||1.031|
Tim Ralston — A survival tool manufacturer (the Crovel), loses part of a thumb during firearms practice for the show; Jason Charles, a New York City fireman-turned-prepper, demonstrates urban survival skills; Jules Dervaes is preparing for the collapse of the industrial food system; Pat Brabble insists on surviving hyperinflation by planning ahead.
|4||4||"It's All Gonna Hit the Fan"||February 21, 2012||1.013|
Martin Colvill lives on the road with his wife as a "survival trucker" and looks to prepare for the upcoming economic collapse; Donna Nash is prepared to quarantine all her family members to protect against a global pandemic; Kevin O'Brien is concerned about losing his home due to rising sea levels created by global warming or a polar shift.
|5||5||"Friends Can Become Enemies"||February 28, 2012||0.825|
James Patrick Douglas, a man of the land in Maine, shows off homesteading techniques he believes will become necessary based upon overpopulation fears; Larry Hall turns an underground missile silo into a bunker to make sure his family is safe during any event; Becky Brown (of Grab n Go Food Storage) is making sure she and others are ready for martial law.
|6||6||"Nine Meals Away from Anarchy"||March 6, 2012||N/A|
For Mike Messiner, civil unrest is just around the corner and he aims to get everyone ready; Colorado computer programmer Preston White has collected over 11,200 types of seeds and plans for biosphere living in a Fukushima-irradiated future while friends Shane and others provide supportive help; Riley Cook spends his days working close to home and with the prepper society building underground structures.
|7||7||"Into the Spider Hole"||March 13, 2012||1.078|
Doug Huffman is prepared, teaching techniques for surviving a second depression based upon America's massive debts.; Dianne and Greg Rogers, dedicated parents in Canada, are concerned with future events affecting their home-life; Ed and Dianna Peden ("still living in the 60's"), of Topeka, Kansas are preparing to survive fully underground in their decommissioned Atlas missile silo when doomsday arrives.
|8||8||"It's Gonna Get Worse"||March 27, 2012||0.915|
Bruce Beach, a lifelong prepper, is focused on nuclear war and saving children in his 42 underground buses; Jeremy and Kelly, concerned parents in Salt Lake City, are preparing for the collapse of society due to peak oil; Bradford Frank of San Diego works around the clock in preparation for a worldwide pandemic that could end life as we know it.
|9||9||"Close the Door, Load the Shotgun"||April 3, 2012||N/A|
John Major has moved his family to Idaho for a more natural lifestyle; Janet Spencer, an author in Montana, decided because of her location to prepare for refugees fleeing from disasters in larger nearby cities; Jack & Jackie Jobe, though new to prepping, have made great progress in preparing for their future survival.
|10||10||"Disaster Doesn't Wait"||April 10, 2012||N/A|
Barry, Pink and Cole have the ultimate urban underground bunker right in their garage; Steve Pace, a hometown survivalist, is ready to take on long-term electric failure; Carolina resident Laura Kunzie is preparing for a massive airborne flu outbreak.
|11||11||"I Suggest We Run"||April 17, 2012||0.861|
Texas prepper "Mr Wayne" bases his doomsday fears on a Chinese financial takeover and he has prepared many ways to survive such events. John & Cristina Sellers are hardworking Americans who want to protect what they have. Jason & Tanya have done their homework on how life and prepping can happen on a budget.
|12||12||"Extreme Prep Edition"||April 24, 2012||N/A|
National Geographic brings the year together by looking at how some people have prepared in similar ways and tells the story of why the show as a whole works, teaching others that any emergency preparation is better than none.
Season 2 (2012–13)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|13||1||"You Can't Let Evil Win"||November 4, 2012||N/A|
Johnny O is prepping for terrorist attacks on nuclear power plants.Highlights: Nuclear reactor attacks - Emergency evacuations - Bug-out
|14||2||"Am I Nuts or Are You?"||November 13, 2012||1.37|
Jason Beacham is a 15-year-old boy who has been prepping for economic collapse since age 11; Big Al is a Tennessee musician who is prepping for a Russian nuclear attack with a secret mountainous bug-out location; former racer Braxton Southwick of Salt Lake City is prepping for a biological terrorist attack.Highlights: Economic collapse - Bioterrorism
|15||3||"Bad Times All the Time"||November 20, 2012||N/A|
Jay Blevins is a former law enforcement officer who is prepping for social unrest following a global economic collapse. Bryan May And Lacey May Are Preppers, Prepping For any Type of man made or Natural Disaster And Uses Silver and Gold to Barter With, They also Have a Massive Battery Backup to run their home with Wind and Solar Power and Stock a Huge Amount of Food and AntiboticsHighlights: Social unrest - Economic crisis - Self-defense - Homemade Pepper spray
|16||4||"The Time of Reckoning"||November 27, 2012||0.77|
|Dirty bomb - Terrorist attacks|
|17||5||"Taking from the Haves"||December 4, 2012||N/A|
Jeff Bushaw plans to fly his family to safety following the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano; Allen and Franco have built sustainable food production systems in preparation for worldwide food shortages; John Adrain has invented numerous security gadgets to turn his estate into a technological fortress safe from a wide range of disasters.Highlights: Yellowstone Supervolcano - Global food crisis - Home automation - Aquaponics
|18||6||"You've Got Chaos"||December 11, 2012||0.83|
Bob Kay, a nutritional scientist in Southern California, is prepping for environmental destruction due to massive earthquakes; Ryan Croft is prepping for a global financial crisis by cultivating alternative food sources like earthworms; politician Joshua Wander is preparing for a terrorist attack, stocking up kosher foods and teaching others about prepping.Highlights: Earthquake - Edible insects - Terrorist attack - Xeriscaping
|19||7||"Escape from New York"||December 18, 2012||N/A|
Follow three New York preppers as they plan their bug-out to escape from a variety of disasters: Cameron Moore, a student is planning to escape a meltdown from a nearby nuclear plant. Margaret Ling is planning to escape in case another hurricane struck her city, having recalled the events of Hurricane Sandy. Last but not least, Jay, remembering the September 11 attacks is planning to escape from another terrorist attack on the city with his family.Highlights: Hurricane Sandy - Social unrest - Bug-out - Evacuation
|20||8||"No Such Thing as a Fair Fight"||January 1, 2013||N/A|
|Brent prepares his children and grandchildren because he fears an Electromagnetic Pulse, caused by a nuclear detonation will cripple the national powerlines, possibly forever. Instead of bunkers, he has built a medieval castle and teaching his children and grandchildren new tactics of defense and survival. This expands to its own series, Doomsday Castle. Meanwhile, in Bear Grass, North Carolina, Derek Price also fears an EMP. He is using his privately owned amusement park(Deadwood) so that he, his friends and family can survive.|
|21||9||"Prepared, not Scared"||January 8, 2013||0.80|
|Bryan Smith, remembering his eventful past has been prepping for an economic collapse. Meanwhile, Christine has been using her skills, organization and strictness to prepare for a mega-tsunami caused by the Cumbre Vieja volcano which could collapse and cause the tsunami which will wipe out the East Coast of the United States|
|22||10||"In the Hurt Locker"||January 15, 2013||N/A|
|Lucas Cameron, a farmer living in Tennessee is preparing for the New Madrid earthquake and the civil unrest following that. He is also joined by his group of friends and family Even Kevin O'Brien, first mentioned in Season 1, has recently moved out and joing them. Meanwhile near Denver Colorado, Snake Blocker is preparing to survive like his ancestors-the Apache tribe- by living off the land in the event of a financial collapse.|
|23||11||"Preppers Paradise"||January 22, 2013||N/A|
|Lindsay, a radio host and a supporter of the back-to-the-land movement is preparing for a total failure of the agricultural and food system with her family and some friends. Meanwhile Jim D and his daughter is preparing for a cyber-terrorist attack which can shut down today's technology and even cause the power grid to shut down. He is using his bug-out vehicle called The Behemoth.|
|24||12||"Hit The Ground Running"||February 5, 2013||N/A|
|25||13||"Solutions Not Problems"||February 12, 2013||N/A|
|26||14||"Pain Is Good"||February 19, 2013||N/A|
|Craig is a third-generation Alaskan who is prepping for a government takeover. Craig has set up a remote bugout shelter in the Alaskan wilderness. We also meet 44-year-old adventurer David Lacota, who depends on his connection to nature to survive the mountainous terrain of Hawaii.|
|27||15||"A Fortress at Sea"||March 5, 2013||N/A|
|Kevin lives in eastern Washington and is prepping his family for a volcanic eruption using multiple bug-out vehicles. We also meet Captain Bill Simpson, who has built a bunker sailboat, made mostly of iron so that he could retreat out to sea in case of a massive solar flare which could send an energy wave, in the form of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) which could damage today's technology.|
|28||16||"Let Her Rip"||March 12, 2013||N/A|
|Freda, a modern-day descendant of the Hatfield Clan is living in the woods of Virginia, and is preparing to survive two things: Civil uprising after an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) and martial law, following it. In Oregon, Mike Adams, a restaurant owner is preparing himself and his family for a nationwide terrorist takeover.|
|29||17||"Gonna Be a Big Bang"||March 19, 2013||N/A|
|Brad and his family are preparing to survive an economic collapse in their backyard bunker. Meanwhile, in Kansas, Kevin Barber has devised a very unique plan to also escape an economic collapse: By permanently settling down at Costa Rica.|
|30||18||"Lone Wolves and Lovers"||March 26, 2013||N/A|
|31||19||"Don’t Betray the Colony"||August 13, 2013||N/A|
|32||20||"The Gates of Hell"||August 20, 2013||N/A|
|Steve works with a stern hand to prep his family for the potential threat. South Carolinian David Appleton is a comedian, but the idea of a devastating earthquake is no joke to him. His job doesn't always pay the bills, so David must Dumpster dive to find supplies to make a DIY camouflage net to hide his preps.|
|33||21||"Whatever It Takes"||August 27, 2013||N/A|
|34||22||"People Become Animals"||September 3, 2013||N/A|
Season 3 (2013)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|35||1||"Take Our Country Back"||October 29, 2013||N/A|
|36||2||"Top Survivors"||November 3, 2013||N/A|
|37||3||"The Fight Ahead"||November 6, 2013||N/A|
|38||4||"We are the Marauders"||November 13, 2013||N/A|
Tyler Smith, a prepper featured in this episode, was arrested and booked on two counts of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm after describing his plans to commit armed robbery in the episode. Asked for comment on Smith’s arrest, National Geographic issued a statement stating: “We are aware of the arrest, and have decided not to air this episode until all legal matters are sorted out.”Highlights:
|39||5||"Total Destruction"||November 19, 2013||N/A|
|40||6||"Survival is an Ugly Beast"||November 26, 2013||N/A|
|41||7||"Live Bees, Live Ammo"||December 3, 2013||N/A|
|42||8||"No One Will Ever Know"||December 10, 2013||N/A|
|43||9||"No Stranger to Strangers"||December 18, 2013||N/A|
|44||10||"Nobody Will Be Ready"||January 7, 2014||N/A|
|45||11||"Americans Not Ameri-can'ts"||January 7, 2014||N/A|
- "U.S. Gold Bureau and Wise Foods Team up to Help Americans Prepare for Worst-Case Scenario". MySanAntonio. May 26, 2012. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- pp 4-7.
- Gleason, Meghan. "Doomsday Preppers Casting". National Geographic. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 26, 2013). "'Doomsday Preppers' Returns for Season Three on Tuesday, October 29". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Get Prepped With Our Doomsday Preppers Playlist! – Nat Geo TV Blogs". Tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Genzlinger, Neil (March 11, 2012). "Doomsday Has Its Day in the Sun". The New York Times. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Lactis, Erik (May 15, 2012). "Preppers do their best to be ready for the worst". The Seattle Times. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Raasch, Chuck (13 November 2012). "For 'preppers,' every day could be doomsday". USA Today. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- North, John (28 May 2012). "‘Doomsday Preppers’ casting director aims to be prepared, too". Asheville Daily Planet. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Interview with a Doomsday Prepper". 2012Prepared.com. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Bullets, Lots of Bullets
- Gorman, Bill (February 15, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: I Hope I Am Crazy
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Back to the Stone Age
- Gorman, Bill (February 15, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings:'Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom 2' Tops + 'Tosh.0,' 'The Game,' 'Westminster Dog Show,' 'Justified,' 'Southland' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: It's All Gonna Hit the Fan
- Bibel, Sara (February 23, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings:'Teen Mom' Special & Tosh.0 Lead + 'Justified,' 'White Collar,' 'Chopped,' 'Ink Master,' 'Hardcore Pawn' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Friends Can Become Enemies
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 29, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Holds Strong, 'Teen Mom II' Falls Considerably". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Nine Meals Away from Anarchy
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Into the Spider Hole
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 14, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Again + 'The Game,' 'Storage Wars Texas,' 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: It's Gonna Get Worse
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 28, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0','The Game', '16 and Pregnant', 'Dance Moms' and More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Close the Door, Load the Shotgun
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Disaster Doesn't Wait
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: I Suggest We Run
- Bibel, Sara (April 18, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings". TVByTheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Episode: Extreme Prep Edition
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: You Can't Let Evil Win
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Am I Nuts or Are You?
- Bibel, Sara (November 14, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings". TVByTheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Bad Times All the Time
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: The Time of Reckoning
- Bibel, Sara (November 28, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings". TVByTheNumbers.com. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Taking from the Haves
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: You've Got Chaos
- Bibel, Sara (December 12, 2012). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'American Chopper' Wins Night, 'Amish Mafia', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Storage Wars', 'Ink Master' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Escape from New York
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: No Such Thing as a Fair Fight
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Prepared, not Scared
- Bibel, Sara (January 9, 2013). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars' Wins Night, 'Justified', 'Cougar Town', 'Snooki & JWoww', 'Dance Moms' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: In the Hurt Locker
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Preppers Paradise
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Hit The Ground Running
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Solutions Not Problems
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Pain is Good
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: A Fortress at Sea
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Let Her Rip
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Gonna Be a Big Bang
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Lone Wolves and Lovers
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Don’t Betray the Colony
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: The Gates of Hell
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Whatever It Takes
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: People Become Animals
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Take Our Country Back
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Top Survivors
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: The Fight Ahead
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: We are the Marauders
- David, Moye (1/17/14). "Tyler Smith, Doomsday Prepper, Allegedly Talked Of Robbing Neighbors When Apocalypse Strikes". The Huffington Post.
- Paige, Cornwell (1/15/2014). "Man on ‘Doomsday Preppers’ arrested on weapons charges". Seattle Times.
- Alexis, Krell (1/15/2014). ""Doomsday Prepper" from Buckley arrested on gun charges Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/01/15/2995004/doomsday-prepper-from-buckley.html#storylink=cpy". The News Tribune.
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Total Destruction
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Survival is an Ugly Beast
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Live Bees, Live Ammo
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: No One Will Ever Know
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: No Stranger to Strangers
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Nobody Will Be Ready
- Doomsday Preppers - Episode: Americans Not Ameri-can'ts