MS-DOS Cover art
|Publisher(s)||Strategic Simulations Inc|
|Genre(s)||Role-playing video game|
Dungeon Hack is a role-playing video game developed by DreamForge Intertainment and produced by Strategic Simulations, Inc. (SSI). It was first released for the DOS platform in 1993. MobyGames describes it as a "graphical version of Hack." Dungeon Hack is based in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons world of Forgotten Realms.
A character with no past wanders around a randomly generated labyrinth, killing whatever is met, for no particular reason.
Dungeon Hack features a three-dimensional, randomly generated dungeon.
Dungeon Hack features a pseudo-3D game screen based on SSI's own Eye of the Beholder series. Like Rogue, dungeons are randomly generated whenever a new game is started. As a result, virtually no two dungeons generated by the game are identical. SSI claimed that billions of different games are possible. That said, players can play identical dungeons by sharing "dungeon seed" codes that are generated by the game.
Dungeon Hack uses the rules mechanics of AD&D 2nd Edition. Most notable about this game is the option to have "real character death", unlike other such graphical AD&D games (such as Pool of Radiance). When this option is turned on, restored saves are erased upon character death, just as with traditional roguelike games.
According to GameSpy, if "random creatures and meaningless hallways are your thing, you'll love Dungeon Hack -- the rest of us like at least a little story to justify our monster butchery".
- MobyGames, Dungeon Hack. . "Combine the gameplay ideas of Hack/Nethack with the Eye of the Beholder 3 game engine and you get a graphical version of Hack: Dungeon Hack."
- Tresca, Michael J. (2010), The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, McFarland, p. 144, ISBN 078645895X
- Petersen, Sandy (May 1994). "Eye of the Monitor". Dragon (205): 59–62.
- Rausch, Allen (2004-08-17). "A History of D&D Video Games - Part III". Game Spy. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- Dungeon Hack at MobyGames
- Hardcore Gaming 101: Dungeon Hack - An in-depth look of 'Dungeon Hack' at Hardcore Gaming 101.
|This Dungeons & Dragons video game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Dungeons & Dragons article related to the Forgotten Realms is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This roguelike article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|