Eau Gallie High School
|Eau Gallie High School|
1963 (Commodore Blvd)
|Number of students||Grades 9-12|
|Color(s)||Navy, Gold, Red|
|Website||EG High School website|
Eau Gallie High School is located at 1400 Commodore Blvd in the Eau Gallie area of Melbourne, Florida. It is one of four public high schools in Melbourne, along with Melbourne High School, Palm Bay High School, and West Shore Junior/Senior High School.
In sports the school was previously classified as 6A, the largest classification based on enrollment, but it is now 3A.
The original school was located in the former city of Eau Gallie, overlooking the Indian River. The successor school is 3.5 miles (5.6 km) west.
Construction on the new Eau Gallie High School began in 1963. Students from the new building graduated in 1964. During the construction Eau Gallie High Students attended a split session at Melbourne High School.
In the 2009-2010 academic year, Eau Gallie was the only high school in the state to be classified as a national demonstration school for Advancement Via Individual Determination. This is a program that encourages middling students to aim for higher education at the four year university level and provides them the tools and advice needed to achieve that goal.
In 2010, one-fourth of the seniors came from low-income families.
- In 2011 the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps won first place in the AF JROTC academic bowl. They competed in Washington, D.C., against hundreds of other teams after winning the state competition.
- Girls fast pitch softball won the state championship 2011.
- From 2004-2008, the local Technology Student Association, won four years in a row at the state conference.
- Softball team rated during the season as number two in the nation in the USA Today high school softball poll 2007-8
- In 2007, the school Board awarded bonuses to sixty-nine teachers at Eau Gallie out of only 375 awards to the sixteen high schools in the county. This was double the awards to the second highest school.
- In 2007, the Eau Gallie Odyssey of the Mind Team placed first at World Competition for 'The Large and Small of It' Division III.
- In 2009, the Eau Gallie symphonic band went to Carnegie Hall in New York City to perform a 30-minute program as part of the National Band and Orchestra Festival.
- Prince Fielder 2002 - 1st Baseman, professional baseball
- Jeff Tam 1988 - Pitcher, professional baseball
- Tim Wakefield 1984 - Pitcher Pittsburgh Pirates, Boston Red Sox
- Matt Walters 1998 - Former NFL Lineman New York Jets
- Cody Laurendi 2006 - Goalkeeper Puerto Rico Islanders
- Preston Skinner 2014 - NAIA nationals qualifier, cross country runner for West Virginia University Institute of Technology
The colors are Navy/Gold/Red.
- Thomas A. Sawyer 1991 - 2010
- Jeremy Salmon 2011 - current
- Downs, Megan (23 May 2010). "New grads make way in real world". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. p. 1A.
- Brennan, Kate (December 16, 2007). "Breaking the rules - Compared to state, students in Brevard are well-behaved". Florida Today.
- Editorial (December 16, 2007). "Discipline on campus. Special report shows Brevard schools policies on misbehavior are working". Florida Today.
- "Eau Gallie HS JROTC Wins Honors". The Intercoim 34 (10): 6. October 2011.
- McCallum, Brian (May 11, 2011). "Oh! Gallie!". Florida Today (Melbourne, Florida). p. 1C.
- Florida Today retrieved July 15, 2008[dead link]
- Bonus standards set higher for elementary schools. Florida Today. December 9, 2007.
- NFL players