Edward H. Sussenguth
Born in Holyoke, Massachusetts Sussenguth received his BA in 1954 from Harvard University and his MA in Electrical Engineering in 1959 from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he also received his PhD in 1964.
After he served at the United States Navy as officer in the Pacific Fleet, Sussenguth joined IBM in 1959. Sussenguth started in 1959 in the Research Division in the development of formal language descriptions. In 1965 he joined the Advanced Computing Systems project to work on high performance computers. In 1970 he became Director of Architecture and Planning in the new Communications Systems Division, where he turned his attention to networking and high speed communications. In the last year before his retirement in 1990, he was appointed first President of the IBM Academy of Technology, which he held for a year.
Sussenguth had been advisor to the National Bureau of Standards and Visiting Professor at some universities. He was elected Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and received multiple awards and honors, In 1981 he was awarded the IBM Fellow for "technical leadership in the development of system network architecture."; in 1988 he received the Data Communications Interface Award; in 1989 the IEEE Simon Ramo Medal; and in 1992 he was elected members of the National Academy of Engineering (Computer science).
Sussenguth has authored and co-authored multiple publications. A selection:
- Sussenguth Jr, Edward H. "Use of tree structures for processing files." Communications of the ACM 6.5 (1963): 272-279.
- Salton, Gerald, and Edward H. Sussenguth Jr. "Some flexible information retrieval systems using structure matching procedures." Proceedings of the April 21–23, 1964, spring joint computer conference. ACM, 1964.
- Falkoff, Adin D., Kenneth E. Iverson, and E. H. Sussenguth. "A formal description of system/360." IBM Systems Journal 3.2 (1964): 198-261.
- Sussenguth, Edward H. "A Graph-Theoretic Algorithm for Matching Chemical Structures." Journal of Chemical Documentation 5.1 (1965): 36-43.
- Jarema, David R., and Edward H. Sussenguth. "IBM data communications: a quarter century of evolution and progress." IBM Journal of Research and Development 25.5 (1981): 391-404.
- The Michigan Technic. Vol. 79 (1960). p. 37
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (1995) IEEE Membership Directory. p. 336
- John Cocke: An retrospective of friends at iment.com. Accessed October 2, 2013.
- Mark Smotherman "People Involved with ACS" at cs.clemson.edu. last updated April 17, 2011
- "IBM Names Three Fellows For Technical Contributions". Computerworld. May 25, 1981. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- Edward H. Sussenguth Jr at the DBLP Computer Science Bibliography.