Elastography is a medical imaging modality that maps the elastic properties of soft tissue. This modality emerged in the last decade. It includes Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging, Magnetic Resonance Elasticity Imaging and Tactile Imaging.
Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging
The Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging can be subdivided into strain and shear wave Elasticity Imaging.
Transient elastography is a medical imaging modality based on mechanical tissue excitation and ultrasound measurements. It is used e.g. for liver assessment
Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging is used for breast examination with a number of high-resolution linear transducers. A large multi-center breast imaging study has demonstrated both reproducibility  and significant improvement in the classification of breast lesions when shear wave elastography images are added to the interpretation of standard B-mode and Color mode ultrasound images.
Acoustic Radiation Force
Supersonic Shear Imaging
SuperSonic Imagine Real-Time ShearWave(TM) Elastography has demonstrated clinical benefit in breast, thyroid, liver, prostate and MSK imaging.
Magnetic Resonance Elasticity Imaging
Tactile Imaging is a medical imaging modality that translates the sense of touch into a digital image. Tactile Imaging is used for imaging of the prostate, breast, vagina and pelvic floor support structures, and myofascial trigger points in muscle.
- Ganne-Carrié N, Ziol M, de Ledinghen V et al. (2006). "Accuracy of liver stiffness measurement for the diagnosis of cirrhosis in patients with chronic liver diseases". Hepatology 44 (6): 1511–7. doi:10.1002/hep.21420. PMID 17133503.
- Mendelson EB, Chen J, Karstaedt P. Assessing tissue stiffness may boost breast imaging specificity. Diagnostic Imaging. 2009;31(12):15-17.
- Shear wave elastography for breast masses is highly reproducible. Cosgrove DO, Berg WA, Doré CJ, Skyba DM, Henry JP, Gay J, Cohen-Bacrie C; the BE1 Study Group. Eur Radiol. 2011 Dec 31.
- Shear-wave Elastography Improves the Specificity of Breast US: The BE1 Multinational Study of 939 Masses. Berg WA, Cosgrove DO, Doré CJ, Schäfer FKW, Svensson WE, Hooley RJ, Ohlinger R, Mendelson EB, Balu-Maestro C, Locatelli M, Tourasse C, Cavanaugh BC, Juhan V, Stavros AT, Tardivon A, Gay J, Henry JP, Cohen-Bacrie C, and the BE1 Investigators. Radiology 2012;262:435-449
- Palmeri, ML; Wang, MH; Dahl, JJ; Frinkley, KD; Nightingale, KR (2008). "Quantifying Hepatic Shear Modulus In Vivo Using Acoustic Radiation Force". Ultrasound in medicine & biology 34 (4): 546–58. doi:10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2007.10.009. PMC 2362504. PMID 18222031.
- Supersonic Shear Imaging: A New Technique for Soft Tissue Elasticity Mapping. Bercoff J. et al., IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 51, No. 4, April 2004.
- Acoustoelasticity in soft solids: Assessment of the nonlinear shear modulus with the acoustic radiation force, J.-L. Gennisson,a M. Rénier, S. Catheline, C. Barrière, J. Bercoff, M. Tanter, and M. Fink, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 122 6, December 2007
- Muthupillai R, Lomas DJ, Rossman PJ, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography by direct visualization of propagating acoustic strain waves. Science 1995; 269: 1854-7.[49, 219, 220].
- Manduca A, Oliphant TE, Dresner MA, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography: Non-invasive mapping of tissue elasticity. Med Image Anal 2001; 5: 237-54.
- Weiss RE, Egorov V, Ayrapetyan S, Sarvazyan N, Sarvazyan A. Prostate mechanical imaging: a new method for prostate assessment. Urology 2008; 71(3):425-429.
- Egorov V, Sarvazyan AP. Mechanical Imaging of the Breast. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 2008; 27(9):1275-87.
- Egorov V, van Raalte H, Sarvazyan A. Vaginal Tactile Imaging. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 2010; 57(7):1736-44.
- Turo D, Otto P, Egorov V, Sarvazyan A, Gerber LH, Sikdar S. Elastography and tactile imaging for mechanical characterization of superficial muscles. J Acoust Soc Am 2012; 132(3):1983.
Cespedes, E.I. Elastography: Imaging of Biological Tissue Elasticity. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Houston, Houston, TX. December 1993.