Emergency notification system
An emergency notification system refers to a collection of methods that facilitate the one-way dissemination or broadcast of messages to one or many groups of people "notifying" or alerting a group of individuals of a pending or existing emergency situation.
Emergency Notification vs. Communication
Emergency notification systems constitute a (one-way communication) subset of the types of systems describe by the broader term Emergency communication systems which includes systems that provide one-way and two-way communications, between emergency communications staff, first responders, and impacted individuals. Mass text messaging services such as Twitter, mass automated dialing services such as Reverse 911, and the common town siren systems that are used to alert for tornadoes, tsunami, air-raid, etc., are examples of emergency notification systems.
Other Related and Similar Terms
Being a collection of methods that are often incorporated in many diverse attributes and capabilities, there are numerous words, terms, phrases, and jargon that are used interchangeably among the entities that utilize or have a need for these types of systems. Many times, these are all used to refer to the same or substantially similar concept. For example, use of the terms “emergency communications” and “emergency telecommunications” may refer to the same concept. See the related article, Emergency communication system, for a more complete examination of this topic.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Weather Service
- Met Office
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
- National Tribal Emergency Management Council
- Emergency Management Ontario
- Partnership for Public Warning
- American Red Cross
- Skywarn National
- American Radio Relay League
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- World Meteorological Organization
- International Association of Emergency Managers
- BlazeCast Emergency notification system
- DialMyCalls Emergency Notification