Science fiction and writing
Strauss has been chairman of a number of science fiction conventions, such as Boskone 3 in 1966 and RailCon in 1975; and a member of the committee for at least one Worldcon, Noreascon 3, in 1989. He was an early (1964) vice president of the MITSFS. In addition, he is the author of the monthly "SF Convention Calendar" in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, and his flyer racks ("Filthy boards") are seen at conventions all over the East Coast. He is the author and/or editor of a number of books, articles, and fanzines. He is a frequent Guest of Honor at SF conventions, including Arisia, Boskone and Albacon. Strauss is the creator of the Voodoo board message board system used at conventions such as Worldcons, WisCon, and Arisia.
Strauss is most well known in libertarian circles for his longstanding publication of the APA The Connection. The APA was started under the name The Libertarian Connection by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw (using pseudonyms) in 1968. Strauss wrote for it as "Filthy Pierre" almost from the beginning, and in 1979 he took over as publisher. Although Strauss dropped the word "libertarian" from the title (to indicate that it was open to all participants), the strong libertarian perspective of the contributors remained. Strauss continued to publish the APA for nearly 30 years. and continues to publish it as of 2012.
- Filthy Pierre's Songs of MIT
- Filthy Pierre's Songs of Significance
- How to Start Your Own Country. Loompanics, 1985; ISBN 1-893626-15-6
- Basement Nukes: the Consequences of Cheap Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Complete Guide to Science Fiction Conventions
- The Case Against a Libertarian Political Party. Loompanics, 1980.
- MIT Science Fiction Society's Index to the S–F Magazines, 1951–1965, 1966
- The Connection (OE, 1979– )
- SF Convention Register (1974–96)
- Filthy Pierre's Microfilk (1975–83)
- Magic Carpet Con, 1996 – Co-Filk Guest of Honor
- ConChord 2002 – Interfilk guest
- Noreascon 4 (2004) – Special Committee Award
- Filk Hall of Fame (inducted 1998 at ).
- Big Heart Award, 2004.
- Albacon 2012 – Fan Guest of Honor
- "Strauss, Erwin S. scifiinc.net
- Marotta, Michael E. (April 30, 2003). "The Libertarian Connection". General Forum. The Rebirth of Reason. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- Henry, Jim (July 2002). "The Connection". Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- Search Works, Sulair. "The Connection". Hoover Library Stacks. Stanford University. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- "LOCUS Online Sept 2004"., Locus Magazine