Noah Takes a Picture of Himself Everyday for 6 Years (as titled on YouTube), or Everyday (as shown on the title card), is a viral video produced by New York photographer Noah Kalina. It features a fast montage of thousands of pictures of Kalina spanning a period of six years all played sequentially.
Kalina began taking a photo of himself every day starting on January 11, 2000, at age 19. The video Everyday shows the photos chronologically, six per second, with an original piano score by his ex-girlfriend Carly Comando. Throughout the compilation, Kalina's face remains emotionless in the center of the frame. Kalina uploaded the video to Vimeo on August 8, 2006, and YouTube on August 27, 2006. Everyday was featured on an episode of VH1's Web Junk 20 and on commercials for Time Warner Cable's Roadrunner service. In a New York Times article, William A. Ewing, director of the Musée de l'Élysée, was quoted as saying, "Noah’s video represents a phenomenal amplification not just in what he produced and how he did it, but how many people the piece touched in such a short period of time. There is nothing comparable in the history of photography." As of November 28, 2013[update], Everyday has over 25.3 million views on YouTube.
Kalina had originally intended Everyday to be a photo project, but was encouraged to make a film after seeing a video by Ahree Lee, which consisted of time lapse portraits of the artist. He compiled his photographs into a video and released it on YouTube.
In December 2006, because of the notoriety of Everyday, VH1 commissioned Kalina to take photographs of himself in the same pose used in Everyday, but alongside various celebrities, including Paris Hilton, Lance Bass, David Hasselhoff, Jenna Jameson, will.i.am, Flavor Flav, lonelygirl15 and "Weird Al" Yankovic. The photographs were taken backstage at the VH1 Big in '06 Awards. In the televised ceremony, several of the pictures were shown before and after commercial breaks. Kalina also posted the photographs on Flickr.
The Simpsons episode "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" includes an adaptation of Kalina's video; in that scene, 39 years of Homer Simpson's life flash before him with the same musical score playing in the background.
On July 16, 2012, Kalina announced an extension to his Everyday video on his website. The extended video, released to YouTube on September 4, shows 12 years, 5 months of his self-portraits with a run time of 7:41 (10 frames per second—1 month every 3 seconds).
- Carlson, Jen (9 January 2008). "Noah Kalina, Photographer". Gothamist. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
That video, called "everyday," was scored to original music by his ex-girlfriend Carly Comando
- Schneider, Keith. "Look at Me, World! Self-Portraits Morph Into Internet Movies", The New York Times, 18 March 2007. Retrieved 26 August 2007.
- Noah takes a photo of himself every day for 6 years. YouTube. 27 August 2006.
- Kelly, Liz (2006-12-22). "He Oughta Be in Pictures". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-08-26.
- "Yahoo - login". flickr.com.
- Morgan, Spencer (December 18, 2007). "D'oh-tube! Internet Sensation Scores Big Simpsons Moment". The New York Observer.
- Noah takes a photo of himself every day for 12.5 years. YouTube. 4 September 2012.