The band, based around brothers Shahin and Shahryar Motia, was started while they were in high school. They reunited after college to make their first album, Other Mathematics, released in 2001 on Ace Fu Records. The subject of their lyrics ranges from sex to Jean Baudrillard and his philosophy about simulacra. For example, on "The Birth Of Disneyland", vocalist Shahin Motia sings "See the grown-ups act like children. It's a way of living."
Their second album, Zoo Psychology, was released two years later. It took ideas from the first album, but broke more rules. The songs became more dirty and noisy with peculiar time changes. By this time, bass guitarist Mike Masiello left the band. Zach Lehrhoff replaced him, providing vocals as well.
By 2005 the band had been reduced to the duo of Shahin and Zach and a third album, Chrome Panthers, was released marking a new direction, even more repetitive and minimalist, which the band dubbed "Fundustrial Noise". Contributing on record and, occasionally, live was drummer Kid Millions of Oneida. Eventually the rhythms became more primal and when performing live the band would utilize as many as three drummers.
In 2007, the 'classic' line-up of both Motias, Zach and drummer Jake Fiedler performed in NYC's East River Park.
Ex Models are active in the Brooklyn music scene and are also in side bands. Shahin has played with The First Lady Of Cuntry and the Cunts and Zach in The Seconds, Pterodactyl, and with Marnie Stern. Shahin is currently (2010) a fully fledged member of Oneida.
A documentary for the Ex Models (currently untitled) is in production, no release date known.
- Shahin Motia - vocals/guitar
- Zach Lehrhoff - vocals/bass guitar or guitar
- Shahyar Motia - guitar
- Jake Fiedler - drums
- Other Mathematics (2001, Ace Fu Records)
- Zoo Psychology (2003, Frenchkiss Records)
- Chrome Panthers (2005, Troubleman Unlimited)
- Splits, compilations, LPs
- This Is Next Year: A Brooklyn-Based Compilation (2001, Arena Rock Recording Co.)
- U.S. Pop Life Vol. 13 Northeast New Core (2001, Contact Records) (Japan Only)
- Ex Models/The Seconds Pink EP (2002, My Pal God Records)
- Raw Wild Love 7" (2002, X-Mist Records)
- Sonik Mook Experiment Vol. 3: HOT SHIT (2003 Mute/Blast First)
- Zoo Psychology LP (2003, X-Mist Records)
- Ex Models/Holy Molar split 7" EP (2004, Three One G)
- Chrome Panthers LP (European Edition) (2005, X-Mist)