F. Gary Gray
|F. Gary Gray|
|Born||Felix Gary Gray
July 17, 1969
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Other names||Gary Gray|
Life and career 
Gray began his career in 1989 when he appeared uncredited in the satire comedy film Major League. Three years later, he directed the music video for Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day." The video is a literal adaptation of the lyrics. He would go on to direct subsequent videos for Ice Cube, as well as artists such as Cypress Hill, Outkast, Dr. Dre, and Queen Latifah.
At 24, Gray directed his first film, the urban comedy Friday with rapper-producer Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. Next he directed the heist picture, Set It Off, with Jada Pinkett and Queen Latifah. He then went on to direct The Negotiator. The film starred Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey and Oscar nominee Samuel L. Jackson, and earned Gray both Best Film and Best Director awards at the 1998 Acapulco Film Festival.
Gray is also known for The Italian Job, an action-thriller starring Academy Award winner Charlize Theron and Oscar nominee Mark Wahlberg. Gray garnered the Best Director award at the 2004 Black American Film Festival for his work on the film, which surpassed the $100 million mark in the domestic box office.
His next film was A Man Apart, a violent action thriller starring Vin Diesel. He would later direct Be Cool, an adaptation of Elmore Leonard's novel of the same name. The John Travolta vehicle was a critical flop, but made $93 million worldwide.
Gray received The Ivan Dixon Award of Achievement from the Black Hollywood Education and Resource Center and was named one of the “50 Best and Brightest African Americans Under 40” by Black Enterprise magazine. He was honored by the African American Film Critics Association with their 2004 Special Achievement Award and was recognized by the Artist Empowerment Coalition with the Artist Empowerment Award that same year. He also received the Pioneer Director award from the Pan-African Film and Arts Festival in 2010.
Directorial credits 
- Friday (1995)
- Set It Off (1996)
- The Negotiator (1998)
- Ryan Caulfield: Year One (1999) (TV series)
- The Italian Job (2003)
- A Man Apart (2003)
- Be Cool (2005)
- Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
- "It Was a Good Day" by Ice Cube (1992)
- "Call Me a Mack" by Usher (1993)
- "I Ain't Goin' Out Like That" by Cypress Hill (1993)
- "When The Ship Goes Down" by Cypress Hill (1993)
- "Natural Born Killaz" by Dr. Dre and Ice Cube (1994)
- "Saturday Nite Live" by Masta Ace Incorporated (1994)
- "Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik" by OutKast (1994)
- "Black Hand Side" by Queen Latifah (1994)
- "Keep Their Heads Ringin" by Dr. Dre (1995)
- "I Believe In You And Me" by Whitney Houston (1995)
- "Waterfalls" by TLC (1995)
- "Diggin' On You" by TLC (1995)
- "How Come, How Long" by Babyface (1996)
- "If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time" by R. Kelly (1999)
- "Ms. Jackson" by OutKast (2000)
- "Bang Bang Boom" by Drag-On (2004)
- "Show Me What You Got" by Jay-Z (2006)
- "Super High" by Rick Ross (2010)
- "The New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-21.