Fastest recorded tennis serves
This article lists the fastest recorded tennis serves in the men's and women's games. This list may not be historically complete. A serve by Bill Tilden in 1931 was timed at 262.8 km/h (163.3 mph), but this is not listed because of questionable technological accuracy.
Though the Association of Tennis Professionals does not formally recognise service speed records made in Challenger events due to the variance in radar guns; the serve of 263 km/h (163 mph) recorded by Australian Samuel Groth at an ATP Challenger event in Busan, South Korea in May 2012 was measured using approved equipment, and other data gathered appeared within a normal range. Technically however, Ivo Karlovic still holds the official record for the fastest serve.
- Men's serves can be and must be recorded at or over 225 km/h (140 mph) minimum standard speed.
- Women's serves must be recorded at or over 200 km/h (124 mph) minimum standard speed.
- Only one serve per player is recorded here. For example, Andy Roddick has many 225 km/h (140 mph) or faster serves on his record but only his personal best of 249 km/h (155 mph) is included.
- In cases where more than one serve has been recorded at the same speed, the oldest recorded serve is listed first.
|1||Samuel Groth||263.4 km/h (163.7 mph)||2012 Busan Open Challenger Tennis|
|2||Albano Olivetti||257.5 km/h (160 mph)||2012 Internazionali Trofeo Lame Perrel–Faip|
|3||Ivo Karlović||251 km/h (156 mph)||2011 Davis Cup|
|Jerzy Janowicz[note 1]||2012 Pekao Szczecin Open|
|5||Milos Raonic||249.9 km/h (155.3 mph)||2012 Rogers Cup|
|6||Andy Roddick||249 km/h (155 mph)||2004 Davis Cup|
|7||Roscoe Tanner[note 2]||246 km/h (153 mph)||1978 Palm Springs final|
|8||Joachim Johansson||245 km/h (152 mph)||2004 Davis Cup|
|Ryan Harrison[note 3]||2013 Western & Southern Open|
|Feliciano López||2014 Queens|
|11||John Isner||241.2 km/h (149.9 mph)||2011 Western & Southern Open|
|12||Taylor Dent||241.1 km/h (149.8 mph)||2006 Rotterdam|
|13||Ernests Gulbis||240.3 km/h (149.3 mph)||2007 St. Petersburg Open|
|14||Greg Rusedski||240 km/h (149 mph)||1998 Indian Wells|
|15||Dmitry Tursunov||237 km/h (147 mph)||2006 Davis Cup|
|Jo-Wilfried Tsonga||237 km/h (147 mph)||2014 Rogers Cup|
|17||Gaël Monfils||235 km/h (146 mph)||2007 Washington|
|Dušan Vemić||2008 Los Angeles|
|19||Ričardas Berankis||234.0 km/h (145.4 mph)||2011 Orléans CH|
|20||Ivan Ljubičić||233 km/h (145 mph)||2007 Pacific Life Open|
|Andy Murray||2007 San Jose|
|Grigor Dimitrov||2013 London Queen's Club|
|23||Mardy Fish||232 km/h (144 mph)||2007 Pacific Life Open|
|Fernando Verdasco||2009 French Open|
|Marcin Matkowski||2009 World Tour Finals|
|Viktor Troicki||2013 Davis Cup|
|27||Martin Verkerk||230 km/h (143 mph)||2003 Milan|
|Daniel Brands||ATP Challenger Heilbronn|
|Robin Söderling||2010 World Tour Finals|
|30||Mark Phillipoussis||229 km/h (142 mph)||1997 Scottsdale|
|Mikhail Youzhny||2005 Davis Cup|
|Ilija Bozoljac||2011 ATP Challenger Heilbronn|
|Jérémy Chardy||2013 Australian Open|
|34||Sam Querrey||227 km/h (141 mph)||2009 Wimbledon|
|Jack Sock||2012 ATP BB&T Atlanta Open|
|37||Fernando González||226.1 km/h (140.5 mph)||2009 French Open|
|Tomáš Berdych||2009 French Open|
|Benjamin Becker||2008 Australian Open|
|40|||Julián Alonso||225.3 km/h (140 mph)||1997 Long Island|
|Gilles Elseneer||2003 Basel|
|Nicolás Almagro||2009 French Open|
|Juan Martín del Potro||2009 Rogers Cup|
|Marcos Baghdatis||2010 Munich Open|
|Roger Federer||2010 Halle Open|
|Thiemo de Bakker||2010 Halle Open|
|Stanislas Wawrinka||2012 Western & Southern Open|
- The ATP does not officially recognize Janowicz's serve due to variance in the radar guns used. His fastest verified serve clocked in at 149.3 mph (240 km/h) in the 2013 Davis Cup and he produced a 150.4 mph (242 km/h) serve during his run in the 2012 Paris Masters, but it was a let.
- The 246 km/h (153 mph) serve by Roscoe Tanner in 1978 is not considered by many[whom?] as an official record due to the inaccuracy of the equipment used at that time.
- This service speed is questionable due to technical variance of the detecting device – the speed should be 222 km/h (138 mph) https://twitter.com/RobKoenigTennis/status/367434597522354176
|1||Sabine Lisicki||210.8 km/h (131.0 mph)||2014 Stanford Classic|
|2||Venus Williams||207.9 km/h (129.2 mph)||2007 US Open|
|3||Serena Williams||207.0 km/h (128.6 mph)||2013 Australian Open|
|4||Julia Görges||203.0 km/h (126.1 mph)||2012 French Open|
|5||Brenda Schultz-McCarthy||202.7 km/h (126.0 mph)||2007 Indian Wells Masters|
|6||Nadiya Kichenok||202.0 km/h (125.5 mph)||2014 Australian Open|
|7||Anna-Lena Groenefeld||201.1 km/h (125.0 mph)||2009 Indian Wells Masters|
|8||Ana Ivanovic||201.0 km/h (124.9 mph)||2007 French Open|
|9||Kristina Mladenovic||200.0 km/h (124.3 mph)||2009 French Open|
|10||Tatjana Maria||199.6 km/h (124.0 mph)||2012 US Open|
- "IDS[clarification needed] only collects serve speed data on show courts at certain events (11 in 2014) and started doing so in 1989 ... Players who have had multiple Top 10 fastest serves only have their top one listed, and if they hit that top speed multiple times, just the first time they did it is listed." http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/1978722/title/ids-serve-speed-leaders
- "Big Bill Tilden—A Tragic Hero?". Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Aussie Groth Hits Speedy Serves". Association of Tennis Professionals Staff. 2012-12-05.
- "IDS Serve Speed Leaders". Pro Tennis Internet Network. 2011-06-30.
- "Andy Roddick's Serve". Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Aussie smashes tennis serve speed record". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "Aussie Hits Fastest Record Serve". ATPWorldTour. May 12, 2012. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "Groth and Olivetti Top Guns of Fast Serve". Orange Deuce. August 11, 2012.
- "Ivo Karlovic sets world serve record". ESPN. March 6, 2011.
- "The final in figures". Fédération Française de Tennis. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "The record service speed of 251km/hour in the Challenger in Szczecin". Official Website of Jerzy Janowicz. August 1, 2013.
- "Rogers Cup tennis: Milos Raonic delivers substance and style: Cox". Toronto Star. August 7, 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "2011 ATP World Tour Media Guide". Association of Tennis Professionals. p. 205. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Botero B., Andrés (15 July 2014). "El saque más veloz del tenis estará en el ATP 250 de Bogotá". eltiempo.com (in Spanish).
- "Hingis wins title; Rusedski hits 149 mph". Houston Chronicle. March 15, 1998. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "GENSSE vs BERANKIS". Open d'Orléans. October 21, 2011.
- "Murray cruises into second round". BBC News Online. 14 February 2007. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Wiberg Wins Slalom To Celebrate World Cup Title". The Seattle Times. 1997-03-08.
- "An interview with: STANISLAS WAWRINKA". ASAP Sports. 2012-08-18.
- "IDS Serve Speed Leaders". WTA. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Lisicki hits fastest serve ever". WTA. July 29, 2014.