Foreign relations of the Marshall Islands
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Marshall Islands
The Republic of the Marshall Islands has established bilateral diplomatic relations with over 75 other nations. Regional cooperation, through membership in various regional and international organizations, is a key element in its foreign policy.
The Marshall Islands became a member of the United Nations in September 1991. The Marshall Islands maintains embassies in the United States, Fiji, the Philippines, Japan, and the Republic of China (Taiwan). They also maintain a consulate in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
Wake Island dispute
The United States and the Marshall Islands governments both claim Wake Island, which puts the United States' armed forces in the ambiguous position of defending US territory while acting as guarantor (under the Compact of Free Association) of the territorial integrity of a state with which it is involved in a territorial dispute.
The Marshall Islands and Azerbaijan established diplomatic relations in 2010.
The Marshall Islands and Brazil established diplomatic relations in 2010.
As per the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India, India established diplomatic relations with Republic of the Marshall Islands in April 1995. Development assistance from India has included a grant of US $100,000 in June 2008 for a solar street lighting project in the capital city of Majuro and grant of 5 ITEC scholarships in November 2010. Marshall Islands has been supportive of issues of importance to India, particularly Indian candidature to international organizations. It supported India’s candidature for the non-permanent membership of the UN Security Council for the 2011-12 term. Presently, there are about 10 Indian nationals in the Marshall Islands.
The Marshall Islands officially recognised the independence of the Republic of Kosovo on the 17 April 2008. Kosovo and the Marshall Islands established diplomatic relations on 27 October 2013.
United Arab Emirates
The Marshall Islands and the United Arab Emirates maintain bilateral diplomatic relations since 2013.
- Marshall Islands
- List of diplomatic missions in the Marshall Islands
- List of diplomatic missions of the Marshall Islands
- "United Nations". un.int.
- "Turkey- Marshall Islands Relations". Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- "Azerbaijan and Marshall Islands sign a communique on establishing diplomatic relations". Trend. 10 March 2010.
- "Ministério das Relações Exteriores". itamaraty.gov.br.
- "UAE establishes diplomatic relations with the Marshall Islands". uaeinteract.com.
- "Estonia Established Diplomatic Relations With Marshall Islands". vm.ee.
- "Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia - News". mfa.gov.ge.
-  Brazil and Marshall Islands establish diplomatic relations
- Republic of the Marshall Islands has recognised Kosovo, New Kosova Report, 2008-04-17
- "Republika e Kosovës vendos marrëdhëniet diplomatike me Republikën e Ishujve Marshall (Albanian)". Kosovo MFA. 27 October 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2013.