Frédéric Chaslin (born 1963, Paris) is a French conductor, composer and pianist.
The son of an architect, Chaslin studied at the Conservatoire de Paris (Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Paris), where he won first prizes in harmony, counterpoint, fugue, piano accompaniment, vocal direction, and orchestration. He later studied at the Mozarteum University of Salzburg, where his mentors included Paul von Schilawsky.
In 1989, Chaslin became an assistant conductor to Daniel Barenboim at the Orchestre de Paris and at the Bayreuth Festival. In 1991, he held a similar post with Pierre Boulez at the Ensemble Intercontemporain. Chaslin was music director of the Opera de Rouen from 1991 to 1994. He was chief conductor of the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra (JSO) from 1999 to 2002, between the music directorships of David Shallon and Leon Botstein. From 1999 to 2005, he was a resident conductor of the Vienna State Opera. He served as Generalmusikdirektor of the Nationaltheater Mannheim from 2005 to 2006. In 2010, Chaslin was re-appointed to the JSO as its next music director, effective September 2012, with an initial contract of three years.
Chaslin first conducted in the United States at the Metropolitan Opera in November 2002. In July 2009, he made his conducting debut at Santa Fe Opera (SFeO), in the first production of La traviata to feature Natalie Dessay as Violetta. In May 2010, SFeO announced the appointment of Chaslin as the company's second chief conductor in its history, effective October 1, 2010, with an initial contract of three years. He resigned his position with SFeO at the end of August 2012.
Chaslin's compositions include the Chagall Suite for orchestra, Diva Dance for the film The Fifth Element, songs and lieder, and several operas, including adaptations of Wuthering Heights (libretto by P.H. Fisher) and of S.P. Somtow's Vampire Junction. He has also written a book on music, La Musique dans Tous les Sens (scheduled English title, Music in Every Sense), published in 2009. Recent recordings include Diana Damrau singing his "Vocalise" from "Wuthering Heights" (Warner) and an entire album for Sony Classical with Sonya Yoncheva, "Paris mon Amour". Chaslin dedicated the last years to the composition of entire cycles based on poetry by Robert Frost. The mezzo-soprano cycle has been performed by american mezzo Jennifer Holloway in Jerusalem, November 12, 2012.
Personal quote: "I'm happy being busy, as long as I'm busy being happy".
- Baker, David J. (August 2010). "Agent Provocateur". Opera News 75 (2). Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- International Who's Who in Classical Music 2003. Europa Publications, p. 134 (2003) (ISBN 1 85743 174X).
- "Frédéric Chaslin löst Vertrag in Mannheim". Deutsches Musikinformationzentrum. 2006-05-12. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Anne Midgette (2002-11-09). "Familiar Sets, Fresh Voices". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Craig Smith (2009-07-04). "'La Traviata' opens SFO season with power, passion". The New Mexican. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Frederic Chaslin Appointed Chief Conductor" (Press release). Santa Fe Opera. 3 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Anne Constable (2010-05-04). "Composer, pianist to take over as opera conductor". The New Mexican. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- James M Keller (2012-08-28). "Santa Fe Opera's chief conductor resigns". The New Mexican. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Bernheimer, Martin (May 2003). "Quick-Change Artist". Opera News 87 (11). Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Norman Lebrecht (2013-09-30). "Diana Damrau sings Frederic Chaslin". Sinfinimusic.com. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- Norman Lebrecht (2015-01-30). "Sonya Yoncheva and Frederic Chaslin". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- jennifer Holloway (2012-12-12). "Frédéric Chaslin, Song cycle after Robert Frost for Mzeeo-soprano". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Frédéric Chaslin (2010-03-01). "Frédéric Chaslin: I'm happy being busy, as long as I'm busy being happy (2014)". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- Opus 3 Artists - Agent site
- Il Trittico agency biography of Chaslin
- Klassik Heute German-language timeline biography of Chaslin
- Chaslin featured in Opera Lively
- Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra biography of Chaslin
|Generalmusikdirektor, Nationaltheater Mannheim
Edo de Waart
|Chief Conductor, Santa Fe Opera
|Music Director, Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra