November 20, 1947 |
Ascoli Piceno, Italy,
|Residence||came to Quebec,Canada, in 1967|
|Notable awards||severals awards receive from 1987 to 2005|
He is a pioneer scientist-entrepreneur in the Canadian bio-pharmaceutical industry, he was co-founder of Biochem Pharma, as well as Chairman & Chief Executive Officer from 1986 to 2001. He has authored or co-authored more than twenty-five patents over his 20-year career as a research scientist.
Youth and schooling
Born in 1947 in Ascoli Piceno, Italy, Dr. Bellini came to Canada in 1967. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Loyola College (now Concordia University) in 1972 and his Doctorate in organic chemistry from University of New Brunswick in 1977. He is the author or co-author of some 25 patents and has published numerous articles and papers based on his research.
Dr. Francesco Bellini runs BELLUS Health, a company which develops new health products. BELLUS Health is engaged in pharmaceutical and nutraceutical activities. Dr. Bellini is also Chairman of Picchio International, Picchio Pharma, Prognomix and ViroChem Pharma – all companies involved in healthcare. He was also the Chairman, President, and CEO of Neurochem, which was developing Alzhemed, a compound for the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease that ultimately failed in late stage clinical trials. Prior to this, Dr. Bellini was Chairman and CEO of BioChem Pharma an innovative biopharmaceutical company focused on infectious diseases and cancer, which he co-founded in 1986. From 1968 to 1984, he had a fruitful career as a researcher at the Canadian subsidiary of a multinational pharmaceutical company. In 1984, Dr. Bellini established the Bio-chemicals Division of the Institut Armand-Frappier at the Université du Québec, which specializes in research, manufacturing and the commercialization of fine chemicals. He headed up this unit until leaving in 1986 to co-found BioChem Pharma.
Dr. Bellini is also a member of the following Board of Directors: Molson Coors Brewing Company; Montreal Heart Institute Foundation; Italian Chamber of Commerce; the Government of Canada's Science Technology & Innovation Council; and Stem Cell Therapeutics Corp.
For his major contribution in the fields of entrepreneurship, research and economy, Dr. Bellini has received the title of ‘Cavaliere del Lavoro’, the most prestigious honor granted by the Italian Republic. Over the years, Dr. Bellini has received the following awards.
- 1987 - Successors: Second Annual Celebration of Canada's Unsung Business Heroes Canadian Business Magazine
- 1991 - Man of the Month Revue Commerce (Commerce Magazine)
- 1992 - Premio Award (Business Category) Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association
- 1993 - Ernest A. Le Sueur Memorial Lecturer Award Society of Chemical Industry of Canada
- 1994 - Prix Industrie 1994 Association de la recherché industrielle du Québec » (Industrial Research Association of Quebec)
- 1995 - Personality of the Year" Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association
- 1995 - The Golden Lion Ordine Figli d'Italia (Order of the Sons of Italy)
- 1996 - Work honoring five Italia Imprenditori Italiani nel mondo ieri eoggi, Milan: Libri Scheiwiller, 1996. Canada: Le nuove frontiere della farmacologia di FrancescoBellini."
- 1996 - Award of Distinction Concordia University Faculty of Commerce and Administration
- 1997 - Imprenditore dell’anno- Premio International Ernst & Young / Camera di Commercio di Milano di Unioncamere
- 1997 – Onorificenza Di Grande Ufficiale, Government of Italy
- 1998 - Quebec's Top 50 Revue Commerce (Commerce Magazine)
- 1998 - Lauréat de la réussite Magazine Entreprendre
- 1998 - Honorary Degree Doctor of University of New Brunswick
- 1998 - Honorary Degree Doctor of University of Ottawa
- 1998 - National Merit of Ottawa Life Sciences Council
- 1999 - Member of Great Montrealer / Académie des Grands Montréalais
- 1999 - Les Bâtisseurs de 1950 à 1999 Revue Commerce (Commerce Magazine)
- 2000 – Member of C.P.Q.'s Entrepreneurs Club Conseil du Patronat du Quebec
- 2000 - Officer Order of Canada
- 2001 - Member of Excelia Club BioQuebec
- 2002 – Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal
- 2002 - Personality of the week La Presse
- 2002 – Honorary Degree Doctorate of Laws Concordia University
- 2003 - Personality of the year, Business Category, Cyberpresse La Presse
- 2004 - Honorary Degree Doctor of Science McGill University
- 2004 - Officer National Order of Quebec
- 2005 – Cavaliere del Lavoro Italian Government (Italian orders of merit)
- 2014 – President of Ascoli Picchio FC
- "Canadian Who's Who Search". Grey House Publishing Canada.
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|