|Born||Frank Anthony Bruni
October 31, 1964
White Plains, New York
|Alma mater||UNC Chapel Hill
|Occupation||Op-Ed Columnist, New York Times; Former Chief Restaurant Critic|
|Notable credit(s)||The New York Times|
Frank Anthony Bruni (born October 31, 1964) is an American journalist. He was the chief restaurant critic of the New York Times, a position he held from 2004 to 2009. In May 2011, he became the first openly gay op-ed columnist of the New York Times.
Bruni graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1986 with a B.A. in English. He was a Morehead Scholar and was a staff writer for the student paper, The Daily Tar Heel. Bruni graduated second in his class with a master of science degree in journalism from Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, where he also won a Pulitzer Traveling Fellowship.
Straight out of Columbia, Bruni joined the staff of the New York Post and then joined the Detroit Free Press, where he wrote on a variety of topics, including the Persian Gulf War and movie reviews. In 1995, Bruni joined the New York Times as a metropolitan reporter and often wrote for the Times' Sunday magazine and for Sunday Arts. In 1998, he was assigned to the Washington, D.C. bureau, where he covered Capitol Hill and Congress, before being sent on the campaign trail to follow then-Texas Governor George W. Bush. He then covered the White House for the first eight months of the Bush administration and served as the Washington-based staff writer for Sunday magazine. In July 2002, he was promoted to the Rome bureau chief. Two years later, he became the Times’ restaurant critic. After five years in that position, he returned briefly to the magazine before becoming an op-ed columnist.
Bruni’s book Ambling into History chronicles his time covering Bush’s campaign. His other books include A Gospel of Shame: Children, Sexual Abuse and the Catholic Church, and Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater, which was released in 2009 and spent a week on the New York Times bestseller list.
He is an avid travel writer whose work has appeared in the "Travel" section of the Times and in Conde Nast Traveler. For Men's Vogue, he wrote about his search for a workout to combat the calories he consumed as a food writer, and about his hoarding and misuse of sleeping pills.
Although primarily an op-ed columnist, Bruni also writes general interest and food-related columns for the Times, in part filling the "food writer at large" role that had been unfilled since the 2006 death of the Times' reporter R. W. Apple, Jr.
While on the staff of the Free Press, Bruni was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing for a portrait of a convicted pedophile. In 1996, he and three colleagues won the George Polk Award for metropolitan reporting for their coverage of the child-abuse death of Elisa Izquierdo. And he was awarded the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Newspaper Columnist in 2012 and 2013.
- Bruni, Frank (2009-07-19). "I Was a Baby Bulimic". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction Best Sellers", New York Times, September 13, 2009. Retrieved Jun 25, 2011.
- "Restaurant critic Frank Bruni builds an exercise routine that burns fat away". mensvogue.com. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- "Everybody seems to be on sleeping pills. Aren't you?". mensvogue.com. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- "The Times They Are A-Changin'". Zagat.com. May 14, 2009.
- Bierly, Mandy (March 24, 2012). "GLAAD Media Awards honor Lady Gaga, 'DWTS,' 'Oprah Winfrey Show': Full winners list". Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Our Boys on the Bus". Out.com. Retrieved 2008-12-01.
- Bruni, Frank. "I Was a Baby Bulimic". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater, 2009
- Ambling Into History: The Unlikely Odyssey of George W. Bush, 2002
- A Gospel of Shame: Children, Sexual Abuse and the Catholic Church, 1993 with Elinor Burkett
- Biography: Frank Bruni - New York Times.
- Recent and archived news articles by Frank Bruni of The New York Times.
- Diner's Journal - Dining & Wine - New York Times Blog
- Born Round
- Interview with Frank Bruni on LITTORAL (2010).