Frederick K. C. Price
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (October 2011)|
|Frederick K. C. Price|
January 3, 1932 |
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Dr. Frederick K.C. Price (born January 3, 1932) is the founder and former pastor of Crenshaw Christian Center (CCC), located in California. He gained international renown through his Ever Increasing Faith ministries broadcast that is aired weekly on both television and radio.
Price was born in Santa Monica, California, a Los Angeles suburb, the eldest son of Winifred and Frederick Price, Sr., who owned a janitorial service in West Los Angeles. Young Frederick attended McKinley Elementary School in Santa Monica, Foshay Junior High, Manual Arts High School and Dorsey High School in Los Angeles, and then completed two years of schooling at Los Angeles City College. He later received an honorary diploma from the Rhema Bible Training Center (1976) and an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Oral Roberts University (1982). Both of his parents, who at one time had been practicing Jehovah's Witnesses, was, at the time he would meet his future wife Betty, had stopped practicing the religion and was also outspoken against any organized religion. While courting Betty, who was his high school sweetheart, he began attending church services with her, however, after their marriage,he had stopped attending church regularly until a group of Los Angeles-area churches began sponsoring a week of old-fashioned tent revivals in the Crenshaw area; Price began attending these services with his wife and at one of those services, he eventually received Jesus Christ as his personal savior. Soon after becoming born-again, Price felt the call from God to go into ministry, serving mostly part-time, while working as a paper cutter, as an assistant pastor in a Baptist church from 1955 to 1957, then pastored an African Methodist Episcopal church in Val Verde, California from 1957 to 1959. From there he served in a Presbyterian church and then joined the Christian and Missionary Alliance at West Washington Community Church in 1965.
In February 1970, Price as Price has recalled many times, received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of "speaking in tongues," an event he considered the starting point in his own ministry. Shortly thereafter, Price would come into contact with the Bible-teaching ministry of late preacher/elevangelist Kenneth E. Hagin. Soon thereafter, Price began to teach the Bible-deliverance message based on neo-Pentecostal teachings known for talking in tongues, healing, and prosperity teachings. He and wife Betty would co-found the Crenshaw Christian Center that same year in the Crenshaw section of West Los Angeles, California.
Crenshaw Christian Center
As he and wife Betty began to take "the first steps to walk by faith," Price's following grew "in the operation of faith" and in membership. Having begun with only nine members, five of whom were part of his family, his congregation quickly outgrew its facilities. As the ministry's own literature explained, Price then "followed through with a plan the Lord had shared with him about establishing a new church," "independent of denominational affiliations". "There, the Holy Spirit could operate as He chose, ... and the Word of God could be taught to His people uncompromisingly." Thus, in November 1973, Price moved with about 300 parishioners from West Washington in Los Angeles establish the Crenshaw Christian Center in Inglewood, California. Price's membership continued to spiral, and in 1977 the church was forced to hold two services, with yet another service added in 1982, because the 1,400-seat sanctuary was always filled to capacity.
Christian Word of Faith Ministries
In 1990, Price founded the Fellowship of International Christian Word of Faith Ministries (FICWFM) which includes churches and ministers from all over the United States and several countries. They meet regionally throughout the year and hold a major annual convention. He is a Word of Faith preacher.
Family and personal life
Price has been married to the former Betty Ruth Scott, whom he met while attending Dorsey High School, since 1953. They are parents of four children, which include Frederick Kenneth Price, who also serves as a senior pastor, grandparents of nine grandchildren and great-grandparents of three great-grandchildren. Frederick Kenneth also regularly appears on the program Ever Increasing Faith broadcasts. Another son, Frederick K.C. III, died tragicially in 1962 as a child when he was struck by an automobile.
Some books written by Price
- Race, Religion and Racism, Vol. 1, First Edition, Pub. Date: July 1999, Publisher: Anchor Distributors, ISBN 978-1-883798-36-9, ISBN 1-883798-36-1
- Race, Religion and Racism, Vol. 2, First Edition, ISBN 978-1-883798-48-2, ISBN 1-883798-48-5, Publisher: Anchor Distributors, Publication date: 7/1/2003
- Faith's Greatest Enemies, Paperback, ISBN 978-0-89274-920-1, ISBN 0-89274-920-2, Publisher: Harrison House, Incorporated, Publication date: 2/1/1995
- How Faith Works, Paperback, 60 pages, ISBN 978-1-883798-57-4, ISBN 1-883798-57-4, Publisher: Faith One Publishing, Publication date: 7/28/2002
- The Holy Spirit: The Helper We All Need, Paperback, ISBN 978-1-883798-18-5, ISBN 1-883798-18-3, Publisher: Faith One Publishing, Publication date: 7/28/2002
- Answered Prayer Guaranteed!: The Power of Praying with Faith, 224 pages, ISBN 978-1-59979-012-1, ISBN 1-59979-012-2, Publisher: Charisma Media, Publication date: 8/28/2006
- Prosperity: Good News for God's People, 192 pages, ISBN 978-1-59979-238-5, ISBN 1-59979-238-9, Publisher: Strang Communications Company, Publication date: 1/28/2008
- How to Obtain Strong Faith: Six Principles, ISBN 978-0-89274-042-0, ISBN 0-89274-042-6, 192 pages, Publisher: Harrison House, Incorporated, Publication date: 8/28/1982
- The Christian Family: Practical Insight for Family Living, 318 pages, ISBN 978-1-883798-17-8, ISBN 0-89274-541-X, Publisher: Faith One Publishing, Publication date: 7/28/2002
- Faith, Foolishness, or Presumption?, 160 pages, ISBN 978-0-89274-103-8, ISBN 0-89274-103-1, Publisher: Harrison House, Incorporated, Publication date: 1/1/1981